Considering selling my RX8 R3 and purchasing a 350z

Hi there,

I currently own a Crystal White Pearlescent R3 that's only got 20k on the clock. It was my first ever car and I bought it knowing full well about it's poor fuel consumption and high tax costs. The reason I still went for it was because it was the only fast(ish) car that I could get insured on as a first car. All I can say about it is, what a dream first car for anybody. I've loved every second of driving it but it's still disheartening knowing how much I'm spending on fuel every month.

Because I'm mainly city driving to and from work I'm averaging around 16mpg and it costs £90 to fill the tank (with v-power.)

I am considering moving over to a 350z for the slightly better fuel consumption, but how much better is it? I see sellers saying they average up to 28mpg but I'd love an honest answer from someone not trying to sell me a car.

My outgoings on the RX8 are as follows:

Monthly fuel costs: £180

5Litres of Dexelia 5w30 every quarter: £40

Tax per year paid every 6months: £522.50

Insurance Monthly: £135.00

Total per year: £4462.50 (this isn't including servicing, mot and tyres.)

Will the savings in fuel, oil and tax outweigh the £80 per month rise in insurance to move over to a 350z?

Also there is the temptation of the extra cash I'd have in my hand from selling the RX8 as it's current worth is around the £10,500 mark.

Kind Regards

Danny

:thumbs::welcome: it's a big tank in the Zed (80litres) so expect to pay more than £90 to fill it from emptyish, I don't city drive in my Zed but I would hope you would see 19/20 mpg, I'm sure someone who knows better will be along soon. Good luck with your search.

All depends on your driving style. You can get 22 in town or 16 but average about 19.

As Mr G says (glrnet) £90+ for a tank. On the line with no light was £88 for me te other day. You'll be saving on oil as long as you skip the 2006 facelift and go for a HR 213 or pre revup 276.

If you can stretch to a HR go for it. If not go pre facelift personaly (and I own a 2006 facelift).

Tax on the 2006 onward is like £480 or something and pre is like £2## not sure as I don't own one :lol:

Either way any of the 350's are great no matter which model.

Oh and since you'll be watching your fuel comsumption it won't last trust me because the V6 is very addictive :drive:

Edited by Wasso

I had a 231 rx8 and really enjoye owning it. Always wanted an r3 but couldnt afford it. I ended up selling mine as 16 mpg was killing me financially. When i bought the zed i also looked at rx8 prodrive edition but it was more to insure. The ze though is a better car on every front imo. The back seats in the 8 were handy though.

To be brutally honest I wouldn't sell your RX8 for a 350z for better economy. It will be better than the mazda but realistically 16mpg vs 20mpg wont work out as much money, especially when you factor in deprecation. Those RX8s have plummeted which is a shame as the R3 looks fantastic in my opinion and running costs aside are a great car.

You will love the 350z, I use mine everyday and have a fairly relaxed 11 mile commute, however I drive I average 26mpg which isn't bad but thats with no city driving.

What age Zed are you looking at?

I agree, wouldn't sell JUST because of fuel economy, if its really killing you don't buy a sports car and get a 320D or something. The differences you will see will be minimal, my commute in the Zed got me about 20mpg which was a mix of motorway and city.

Dont forget that you have to use Super Unleaded in the zed. Have you factored that into your calculations. Also... +£80 per month for your insurance... thats bonkers. I'd be driving a cheap run about until your insurance comes down, it's not worth throwing your money away.

You'll get sub-20pmg if all you're doing is city driving.

If your spending that much every month to run your car, IMO your better having the car that you want. Irrespective of wither you save a few quid each month.

My brother had an RX8, it was a nice car but i think you will really enjoy the torque from the V6. Also its bullet proof!

how much for taxing a Rx8!!!

i get 230 miles to a tank driving to and from work, with the odd rant there and then

i did manage to get 400 miles to a tank when i took it to Monaco which was all motorway driving and that was with Aircon, radio and satnav plugged in with a load of luggage in the back and a passenger, not sure what my mpg was as its an import so its in miler per litre

get a zed they sound much better, cant beat the sound of a V6

had a FTO 2.0 V6 before and i pay less on my zed than i did on my FTO for insurance

Edited by Dannyg

£215 /month insurance quote :scare:

i'd work on getting that down and then do your comparison

Never had or driven an RX8 but we all pay a bit of a premium (insurance, fuel, RFL etc) for driving a car that gives us something to be passionate about. You've just got to decide how much of a premium that's worth to you. Try a zed and see if the big :smile: it hopefully gives you makes it worthwhile.

What's your budget?, Not really looked into it but guess a similar age and mileage zed is going to come in a bit more than the rx8 aswell