iPhone 5

Adrian@TORQEN

Real shame it doesnt have NFC, that was going to be my main reason to upgrade. Roll on 5s or 6 then :doh:

NFC? Bit early for me yet?

Contactless payments - like having a contactless card on your phone. You can attach it to a real card number if your issuer supports it and use it to pay for stuff. Most of the UK is really ramping up with the tech now, but obviously not enough for Apple to take note. Maybe next time when there is some new payment tech about to take over they will add NFC. Apparently it was left out as it'd make the phone too fat, someone should tell Samsung that as the S3 supports NFC :doh:

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My Nokia 5110 has snake and changeable covers. Booooom.

Meh, I've got that on my iPhone :p

Currently rocking one of these ;)

0BF558C3-1451-4CE0-83D9-99C39D47E49A-31472-00001AB791B987B0.jpg

If only I could find my charger for it then I'd be able to use it :lol:

I have a 6610 in my drawer at work. I also have a charger for it. Fire it up now and then for a nostalgic look!

I have a 6610 in my drawer at work. I also have a charger for it. Fire it up now and then for a nostalgic look!

Fire it up to actually make phone calls you mean Shirley? :lol:

A lost feature on phones.... I think my 4S makes calls, never found out to be honest! :lol::lol::lol:

Glad I kept an old Nokia - as I buy a $20 sim for local calls/texts in Oz and bung that in.

P1080410.jpg

Just have the S3 for incoming texts and emergency calls/data use (to keep costs down) aside from which its mini sim makes it u/s anyway. Unless I find they sell those out there, then the Nokia's days will be numbered. :shrug:

After cycling through a gazillion images I found a cool one - putting James Cordon onstage to talk about Porsches was a genious move, even though they're showing them on some w*nky 'phone :lol:

img0151.jpg

Looks more like Chesterfield :lol::lol:

Oh, that's where he's been ;)

ive currently got the samsung s2, had it for just under 18 months and i hate it, cant stand android most of the apps are crap compared to apples. ill be upgrading to the iphone when my contracts expires B)

Ive got 2 Samsung s2`s and love them. So easy to use and loads of cool features. They are old phones now! About 2 years old now and when you think this new iphone is the first iphone which is actually thinner than it, and its only 1mm thinner! Also, the s2 is 116g compared to the new iphone`s 110g. Screen on the s2 is bigger, better battery life and its so old now its free on most contracts. Since the new android OS update was released to it the phone seems even quicker and on one im running "Go launcher" which really gives it a slick flashy feel to the user interface. On my other s2 i flashed it with the latest cyanogen android which is extremely fast and slick. I didnt need to this but its a great thing about android in that if you want to personalise things you can. Like add moving widgets to the home screen or different sized icons. You can even move buttons about & change what they do.

I find all the apps are great and work really well. Ive had no problems at all. I use all the main ones and love the way it all syncs seamlessly with my google account, so all my contacts, emails, wallet, pictures, even browser bookmarks & favourites are all everywhere I log in. Sure, the iphone now can do that too, but its taken them a long time to catch up.

I`ll be interested to see how the apple passbook (aka google wallet), apple maps (aka google maps), apple navigation (aka google navigation) updated siri (vlingo on the android), icloud (aka google cloud) all take off now they are "new" apple features. Also interesting is the 4G side of things with htc / samsung / android releasing a 4G LTE phone many years back and apparently samsung own all the relevant patents for it.

All in all im pretty disappointed with the iphone5. When the iphone 4 came out I loved the design of it, it was a huge step up from the 3gs, albeit nearly a direct copy of the LG Prada which came out 4 years prior to it, and you couldnt make calls unless you had a rubber bumper wrapped around it which made it look a bit crap. But visually it was cracking. Very nice styling indeed. Apple also introduced a lot of new features which allowed them to catch up with the rest of the pack. But, now with the iphone5, they really dont seem to have made a big jump over the iphone 4s. They have had 2 years to sort it out, and it kinda makes you wonder what they have been doing in all that time? Its as if they have just looked to see what the s3 can do, what the htc one can do and copied a few bits and added to the iphone 5.

On the other hand, if you look at the new Nokia Lumina 920 which has just come out. Wow. That really looks funky and has a whole new windows mobile 8 OS on it as well as things like wireless charging, loads of camera features etc etc.

My contracts are both up in December, and atm i really dont know what I will be going for. I dont like the Samsung S3 as its just a bit too big for me. I think the s2 is about perfect size for what I want. Maybe there will be some new phones released before then, or maybe i`ll go with the new Nokia. All depends on what offers me the best technology / features / value for money etc...

I think my apple loving mate summed it up nicely. He proceeded to tell me last night at how disappointed he was with the iphone 5 (he`s been waiting 2 years for it to come out, having passed up the iphone 4 and stuck with his 3gs), he reeled off all the things he didnt like about the iphone 5 and how it was a disappointment compared to what he was expecting, then announced he`ll be buying one anyway. :lol:

thats the thing, so many iFans buy what ever comes out with an apple logo attatched.

Steve Jobs replacement could crap on a plate, stick an apple on it and seel it as iPoo and still make millions. they have alot of blind faith followers.

i like their inovation on things like the apple TV the mac mini and alot of their design influence, but they no longer seem to be setting themselves apart from the crowd. its the poison challis that is being the market leader, at some point you get complacent and others take over.

i remember all the other phone fads,

think it went nokia phones first

then the motorola razor things

then the apple iphone

question is what is and will be the next big thing. because if you look at both motorola and nokia, neither have the volume sales and the market share they held years ago.

question is what is and will be the next big thing.

Operating system wise I'd say WebOS should have been the next big thing if HP hadn't bought Palm and killed it, I doubt the fact that they're making it open source will have any effect now either. Shame really as it truly is/was a great OS. I'm not saying that as a "fanboi" either.

Personally I don't think we're going to see any "next big thing" that will steal the iPhone's crown for some time, 3-5 years at least. Although we may see some interesting things in that time, I guess the new camera+phone (instead of phone+camera) trend would fall in that bracket. Laser keyboards maybe? Phones with projectors?

thats the thing, so many iFans buy what ever comes out with an apple logo attatched.

Steve Jobs replacement could crap on a plate, stick an apple on it and seel it as iPoo and still make millions. they have alot of blind faith followers.

Pretty much the same now applies for Android fans though. They'll slaughter anything that has an OS that's user friendly and hardware that's machined perfectly to the nth degree.

Truth is both (well, all three is you count Win8) platforms have their pros and cons. Apple is easier to use, more stable and lag-free, but Android offers far more in terms of options and updates, and has more freedom. Horses for courses.

I know android has its limitations, i really wanted to be on win mob by now, but its just not there yet. i liked the fact that apple was very user friendly, thats what makes them so good.

I'm no fanboy, i'll float to what ever i think is best for me at the time, no brand loyalty from me; saying that i'm on my 2nd HTC phone now :blush:

i like their inovation on things like the apple TV the mac mini and alot of their design influence, but they no longer seem to be setting themselves apart from the crowd. its the poison challis that is being the market leader, at some point you get complacent and others take over.

i remember all the other phone fads,

think it went nokia phones first

then the motorola razor things

then the apple iphone

question is what is and will be the next big thing. because if you look at both motorola and nokia, neither have the volume sales and the market share they held years ago.

With apple users, its more of the fact that they are tied in. If you think about it, when you get the iphone you have to buy it. For example, I got my samsung s2 for free on a 25quid a month contract. My missus had to pay £80 for her iphone 4s and pays £40 a month for the same as what I get. So, straight away you are physically forking out money and buying something. So you immediately think you are getting something "better". Bit like forking out 30k for a bmw badge rather than 16k for a Ford badge. Just cos you fork out a lot more for the beemer doesnt mean its a "better" car.

Now you have an iphone you download your apps, a lot of which you pay for, you start buying media through itunes because you have no choice and you use the apple calender & contacts etc.. Now, after 2 years when your contract is up what do you do? You have hundreds of contacts in your iphone, you have spent hundreds on music in your itunes. If you decide you want to move to nokia or samsung or whoever, you`ll probably have to loose all that media and start again. You also have to learn a new OS when you are used to iOS. You may not be happy with your iphone because technically its behind the competition now, so what do you do? The only option really is to just upgrade to the new iphone when it comes out. Thats why they have such a high level of customer retention. The new iphone may not be as good as other phones out there, but the hassle for an apple user to move means they will stick with the iphone.

On the other hand, if your using android, you have the choice of going to any android phone, simply entering your email address & password and instantly all your contacts, apps, photographs, calender, wallet, everything appears on your new android phone. It could be a samsung, a htc or anything.

Nokia, motorola and even Blackberry have fallen way behind. Apple have recently been trying to force their way into businesses and schools by offering massive discounts, replacing blackberries in a lot of cases which is quite a smart move, as we all know how slow businesses and schools are at replacing equipment - if they get a load of new iphones & ipads today, then they wont be changing them any time soon. And like above, they become tied in.

If you look at the smart phone market share for Q2, android devices take up 68% of the market, with iphone only taking up 17%. Thats a massive difference, especially when you think android hasnt been out as long. It will be interesting to see how the new windows mobile 8 does, whether it can gain any market share.

iPhone's are great. I'm no apple fanboy infant I despise macs and iTunes. But it's so fast and easy to use and the apps IMO are better than android ones. I have tried the androids and the people who own them say but I didn't want an iPhone without trying it so that's just as fanboy. Plus picking up a smart phone for 10mins and saying you don't like it is harsh. You need much more time. I made on of my friends use it for a while and now he wants to swap his one x that banged on about. The iPhone is the ferrari and the androids are modded mr2's. :wave:

Now with a phone that I constantly use and need plus ther isn't a massive difference in price il stick with apple but for tablets I don't think you could beat a nexus 7 for the price.

The iPhone is the ferrari and the androids are modded mr2's.

APMSL :D

The brand spanking new iPhone 5 has a smaller screen than an S3, no NFC, no HD output, no drag and drop from Windows, a slower processor, shorter battery life, less camera options, you cant upgrade or replace the memory or battery, it wont run Flash or Java and you need to replace every connector you already have.

Ive got nothing against iPhones, they are easy to use and all that but it seems that once again Apple are recycling existing technology and charging a lot of money for it. :)

Pretty much the same now applies for Android fans though. They'll slaughter anything that has an OS that's user friendly and hardware that's machined perfectly to the nth degree.

Truth is both (well, all three is you count Win8) platforms have their pros and cons. Apple is easier to use, more stable and lag-free, but Android offers far more in terms of options and updates, and has more freedom. Horses for courses.

The thing with Apple is that the users buy into it because it's 'cool' B) OK, it works well and it's intuitive, but lots of products do that. Android is not supposed to be cool, the key selling point is that it isn't an Apple product and it does things just about as well. I mean, that Alien logo thing isn't cool is it? :shrug:

I will always buy the best value for money product out there and may well own an iphone if Apple didn't insist on ripping you a new bum-hole for the 'priveledge' of owning their latest fad. Their stuff is nigh on impossible to barter on with the mobile phone retailers. Actually, I might be proved wrong on that one because I haven't checked the deals on the iphone 5, I doubt it though.

It always amazes how the fanboys and girls get so excited about new Apple products :surrender: