iPhone 5

Adrian@TORQEN

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The iPhone is the ferrari and the androids are modded mr2's.

APMSL :D

The brand spanking new iPhone 5 has a smaller screen than an S3, no NFC, no HD output, no drag and drop from Windows, a slower processor, shorter battery life, less camera options, you cant upgrade or replace the memory or battery, it wont run Flash or Java and you need to replace every connector you already have.

Ive got nothing against iPhones, they are easy to use and all that but it seems that once again Apple are recycling existing technology and charging a lot of money for it. :)

+1

There is no doubt about that. I agree in someways the iPhone is way behind but I don't buy new phones. I'm on a £10 sim only deal with O2. I got my iPhone 4 for next to nothing. The screen is smaller but IMO its nicer than the g2s screen. Most newer phones are packing some fast processors but in someways aren't as smooth or fast as androids. Apple only has to make IOS for a limited amount of hardware condigurations but andriod has to work on nearly everything. If you paid 5-600 quid you might be annoyed but I didnt. I honestly think the iPhone is more than the some of its parts and that's due to IOS. Saying that I bloody hate whatever they use on their laptops. As I've said I've used some of the top android phones and for me personally they still have some way to go.

I'm pretty sure in the next couple of years though unless iPhones start trumping android in hardware AND software its going down. Android does get better ever year aswell and at the rate it's catching up apple will have to start innovating again. Other wise apple will turn into the new Nokia.

The iPhone is the ferrari and the androids are modded mr2's.

APMSL :D

The brand spanking new iPhone 5 has a smaller screen than an S3, no NFC, no HD output, no drag and drop from Windows, a slower processor, shorter battery life, less camera options, you cant upgrade or replace the memory or battery, it wont run Flash or Java and you need to replace every connector you already have.

Ive got nothing against iPhones, they are easy to use and all that but it seems that once again Apple are recycling existing technology and charging a lot of money for it. :)

I'm pretty sure in the next couple of years though unless iPhones start trumping android in hardware AND software its going down. Android does get better ever year aswell and at the rate it's catching up apple will have to start innovating again. Other wise apple will turn into the new Nokia.

Hold on. Look at the figures. Q2 2012, 68% of smart phones sold were android, and only 17% were iOS (Apple). So, its not a case of Android "catching up" with Apple, they have long since flown by them and are the most popular OS on smart phones. Thats partly because android isnt just 1 phone, its on hundreds of different models of phones. So you get basic lower level 80quid PAYG entry phones running the same android as say the top of the range Samsung Galaxy S3.

Looking at the specs, the iphone 5 is way behind the S3 even on the hardware, and the new Nokia 920 is even further behind. Although until we get some actual benchmark testing done we wont know exactly how they all compare hardware wise.

I was also reading about how apple spend hardly anything on their research & development compared to other companies such as Samsung, so its hardly surprising that they are falling behind. I find that really surprising when they are one of the biggest companies in the world now.

Hold on. Look at the figures. Q2 2012, 68% of smart phones sold were android, and only 17% were iOS (Apple). So, its not a case of Android "catching up" with Apple, they have long since flown by them and are the most popular OS on smart phones. Thats partly because android isnt just 1 phone, its on hundreds of different models of phones. So you get basic lower level 80quid PAYG entry phones running the same android as say the top of the range Samsung Galaxy S3.

Looking at the specs, the iphone 5 is way behind the S3 even on the hardware, and the new Nokia 920 is even further behind. Although until we get some actual benchmark testing done we wont know exactly how they all compare hardware wise.

I was also reading about how apple spend hardly anything on their research & development compared to other companies such as Samsung, so its hardly surprising that they are falling behind. I find that really surprising when they are one of the biggest companies in the world now.

Is this because they are relying on there reputation and loyal following?

Maybe I am being blinkered or one of the sheep as I think the only reason I am getting one is familiarity breeds contempt!

B)

Comparing hardware is irrelevant. It always has been between Apple & anything else, because Apple stuff relies on the OS instead. They do have much more reactive screens, but for everything else they do seem be not be quite as good. None of which matters, because if you buy an iPhone you don't really care if it has NFC or the greatest lens in the world, you buy it because of the complete package. It's not a tool to use as a p*ssing contest with your mates as to who has more RAM.

Look at Infinity Blade 2 on the 4S and then tell me the iPhone needs more oomph. It doesn't.

So because youve got used to not having expandable memory or replacement batteries that means theres no need for them? Youve been sucked in by the Apple hype man .......... as I said, repackaging old tech rather then developing their own.

What are the things I like best about my S3? The screen is big enough that you can use it to navigate the net, or easily edit documents, and the phone takes superb pictures, far better than any other phone Ive seen. I also like the way that I can carry a spare battery just in case I get caught out, and anywhere I go Ill be able to find a charger - thats the "package" for me and the iPhone doesnt do any of it.

What exactly is "the package" if it isnt the specs of the phone anyway?

The OS. That's Apple's strength.

Android is flaky at best, and you never know if anything is actually going to run on it as there's so many damn versions out there now (admittedly iOS is headed in the same direction, but nowhere near as fragmented). All Android screens that I've ever tried, S3 included, have the most irritating lag on the touchscreen that the Apple devices simply don't have. The phone is massive and the screen simply too big for most people, and I find it a shame that Apple have felt the need to pander to the many by increasing the size of the iPhone screen: It's unnecessary. The 4S camera is miles better than the 4 and more than a match for anything out there maybe 920 excluded, and if you can find somewhere in the world that doesn't have an Apple 30-pin plug nearby then I'd suggest you've got bigger issues. ;)

I've not needed a replacement battery for any phone ever, so why would I want to carry around a spare one? I don't need a billion songs on my phone so 32GB is enough for me, but if it wasn't I'd buy the 64GB version. You're making it sound like the choice isn't there, when it is. It's just designed as a one item device, rather than something you carry around a load of different bits for. I haven't been sucked in by anything, I know the weakness of the iPhone for some people. I also understand the goal behind it, that doesn't mean I can't appreciate or disparage other devices as I see fit.

If an Android phone had the screen of the iPhone, I'd seriously consider one. Until such a day comes, I can't see why I'd want to swap the most important feature of a smartphone, the actual interface, for being able to say I can put an SD card in or swap a battery over. Each to their own.

Your talking about sales which I never mentioned. I'm talking about user experience. Benchmarking? That doesnt always translate into a good phone though does it.

Also yes Andriod is selling loads as you said because there is lots of phone and at a cheap price.

I actually agree with Ekona for one :headhurt:;) But thats my opinion and not everyone has to like the same thing. For as many reasons as there is to love android or IOS there is just as many to hate them depending on what you prefer. :thumbs:

The OS. That's Apple's strength.

Android is flaky at best, and you never know if anything is actually going to run on it as there's so many damn versions out there now (admittedly iOS is headed in the same direction, but nowhere near as fragmented). All Android screens that I've ever tried, S3 included, have the most irritating lag on the touchscreen that the Apple devices simply don't have. The phone is massive and the screen simply too big for most people, and I find it a shame that Apple have felt the need to pander to the many by increasing the size of the iPhone screen: It's unnecessary. The 4S camera is miles better than the 4 and more than a match for anything out there maybe 920 excluded, and if you can find somewhere in the world that doesn't have an Apple 30-pin plug nearby then I'd suggest you've got bigger issues. ;)

I've not needed a replacement battery for any phone ever, so why would I want to carry around a spare one? I don't need a billion songs on my phone so 32GB is enough for me, but if it wasn't I'd buy the 64GB version. You're making it sound like the choice isn't there, when it is. It's just designed as a one item device, rather than something you carry around a load of different bits for. I haven't been sucked in by anything, I know the weakness of the iPhone for some people. I also understand the goal behind it, that doesn't mean I can't appreciate or disparage other devices as I see fit.

If an Android phone had the screen of the iPhone, I'd seriously consider one. Until such a day comes, I can't see why I'd want to swap the most important feature of a smartphone, the actual interface, for being able to say I can put an SD card in or swap a battery over. Each to their own.

I take it you have an iphone?

Apple fanboys are increasingly desperate to justify their purchase... "It's a business tool" Bollocks! They're the only ones intent of slagging off competing products, especially the S3 which isn't even intended for the same type of user.

Fans of the alternatives do little more than state that Apple products are over-priced (£200 extra for £30 worth of storage? £30-60 to convert/replace all your cables/chargers?) and developing at a snail's pace these days. Engineering obsolescence into hardware/software is a cynical way to keep the Apple store tills ringing.

The 4G functionality looks to be the first ****-up with the 5. The launch model will only ever work on Orange/T-Mob's LTE and not the official LTE frequencies being auctioned off here and used in most of Europe/Asia (2.6GHz).

Have to say that it is Android for me personally every time although I have an iPhone4 with work and it does what it is meant to do well.

This /end thread lol

Horses for courses and all that. I dont like androids as much as iphones. I know some people who prefer andriods over iphones. :thumbs:

People will probably find that Apple's budget for R+D is smaller these days than what Samsung etc spend because 5 years ago,maybe more they probably spent 2x the Samsung budget to get the Iphone to the market to start with. Once thats up and running,you dont need to spend that amount again,as its constant evolution. Its the same with anything like that. Samsung etc have had to spend £££££££ on R+D to get anywhere near Apple,and 5 years after the original was launched. (Or however long ago it was)

I was always skeptical of Apple stuff untilI started to use it (currently typing on a MacBook). I also have Apple TV3,and an Iphone 4.

I find that all the stuff is easy to use and integrates well with each other,with very few issues. My mrs can work Apple TV and I have never shown her how. We can wirelessly stream music,videos and photos to the TV,and all of it works together. Yes the products are expensive to buy initially,but they also hold their value too,and atleast every Apple product iv touched has felt well made and engineered,which is more than can be said for alot of products. Either you get Iphones and Apple or you dont,simple as,there will always be a market for such things,just as there is for Android.

Just tried to pre order, but got an error message saying "Your request cannot be fulfilled. Please try again later."

Turns out they starting pre orders for UK at 8:01am.

Oh well, only 7 hours to go :D

BM, it's time, it's time!!! ;) My renewal isn't until November so I'll wait. When is ios6 due? I'll play with that first I think :)