How badly did you want a 350 before you bought it?

mouldie

I've wanted to buy a 350z from the first moment I saw one in August 2003. Since then I've never been in a position to afford one, even though I've tried to justify one on several occasions. As the price of the car has dropped I've to justify it again only to stumble on running costs. On Friday I decided that common sense would go out of the window and set myself a deadline to get one by. The wife agreed and today we went to Junction 17 cars in Peterborough as they have several in stock.

Whilst there I found myself picking flaws with it and admiring other cars more (370z, Boxter). Should it be this hard??? If I'm struggling now then surely when the running costs start coming in I'll wonder why I ever bought it. Or am I missing something? Surely I can't be obsessed with something for 9 years and not REALLY want one when it comes to finally signing on the dotted line? Obviously no one can really advise me as we're all different, I just wondered if anyone else had struggled this much when it came to following through on the dream?

Oh, and anyone got any experience of Junction 17 Cars? Thanks!

Nope - it ruled my life for a year of research and looking and then when I saw her go up on PH I was first to call and secured her immediatley. I didn't sleep the night before and travelled the length of the country to get her :cloud9:

Now she's for sale am utterly bereft :dummy:

Wasn't that bothered. Fancied a new car, the Zed ticked the boxes, got my local dealer to get a few in and I bought one of those.

I know what you mean though OP, that's exactly how I felt before buying the 911. Well, apart from picking holes in it, as I was too excited and didn't give two hoots at that point so was desperate to sign my life away! :lol:

I didn't really want one but it was the fastest car I could insure when I was 21 with a crash 1 month before.

Bought missus a new suzuki swift sport with the intention of keeping my cooper s jcw but decides a week later I wanted a new car, Went to buy a standard one and seen the nismo kitted one and fell in love :cloud9:

I've had a new car (sometimes brand new, sometimes not) virtually every year for at least 7 years now so I am a somewhat casual car buyer :blush: I was driving past my local garage in a galleon-like P38 when an azure blue roadster caught my eye so I went in and did a deal there and then and the roadster was mine. Result! I have never loved a car so much :thumbs:

I looked for about a year of one and have never looked back. Best thing i've purchased in a long time. I like Vik travelled a long way to pick it up.

Go for it :thumbs:

And my next question........how did you pick which one? I like the idea of a '55' plate for the cheaper tax, but feel that the 313bhp version appears to be a better car. Is it noticably different? Can you feel the extra 37bhp??

Mines is the 300ps rev up. Didnt give a hoot about the extra tax as its a relativey small outgoing for a 20k car(at the time). Had the facelift exterior and interior and newer engine. Just bought it :shrug:

Are you sure you really want a Zed? I have noticed many times that people who agonise over decisions, sometimes weighing up the tiniest, most insignificant details, never actually buy the thing they are researching so assiduously :dry: I am not saying that this is the case with you but it might save you a lot of time and head scratching if you are honest with yourself at this stage of proceedings :thumbs:

In my case, I wanted to change cars, set myself a limit of 6.5K and began looking on Autotrader, Ebay for what I could get for my money, didn't care at the start what I wanted just something different from my BM ci, narrowed it down to a Zed or Bosxter, drove a few of each and was on my way to London having seen a Boxster 3.2S spent the next 4 hours trying to get through London to see it, lost my rag, turned round and drove back home, that night I spotted a Zed and the following day was the proud owner of Roxy, not looked back since.

My view is is you really want a certain type of car, just go and get it. If you are worrying about running costs, servicing and the like go buy something more mainstream with a smaller engine and boring looks but if you really really want a Zed, then go for it cos you wouldn't be worrying about sod all else except getting the car you really want.

Are you sure you really want a Zed? I have noticed many times that people who agonise over decisions, sometimes weighing up the tiniest, most insignificant details, never actually buy the thing they are researching so assiduously :dry: I am not saying that this is the case with you but it might save you a lot of time and head scratching if you are honest with yourself at this stage of proceedings :thumbs:

This is the crux of the problem really. I totally want one and have done for a long time but worry that I've built it up too much and it won't live up to the hype that I'm giving it.

When I turned 30 I bought myself a Rolex that I really wanted. After a while I realised that, when all was said and done, it was just a watch. Then I felt like a mug with a £4k watch on my wrist. Am I going to get this and think that it's just a car. If I'm that bothered about costs before I get it, surely that will just kill all the fun I could have as I'll be worrying about costs all the time?

After 9 years of wanting one I'm getting to the stage where I just think I need to put it to bed either way! Hence the question, did anyone else struggle with the purchase this much?!

Have to agree with twobears - is your heart really still in it? They aren't cheap to run but to be honest I would have sold a kidney to keep mine! :lol:

When I saw my first ever zed in the flesh in a car park, watched the person get in, heard it start up I knew I would have one! Like Vik i did a lots of research and joined this forum six months before buying. As a petrol head I have always moved on to the next car pretty quicky as I get bored quickly but not this time. There is just nothing I can move onto that isn't silly money and I've had my zed over 5 years now. I haven't owned a car longer than two years before now.

I had a grand plan in 2000 after driving a Honda Prelude for a couple of years I was hooked on Jap motors and was going to save and get one of the turbo'd Jap heros of the 90s. Supra, RX7, Subaru, etc etc.

Had stacks of Japanese Performance mags and ummed and arrrred for 5yrs :blink:

In the end bottled out of getting a 10 yr old Supra and popped in to Nissan simply "on passing".

Took a test drive and was hooked.

Went back and ordered one brand new with a plan to keep it FOREVER.

7 yrs on I've lost a huge wedge in depreciation, but worth every penny, as after a good detail and drive out she feels every bit as special as when I first got her :teeth:

I have never wanted a car as bad as I wanted a Zed (even though it was actually the missus who actually bought it!) and I'll tell you this for a fact - its the ONLY car I have ever driven that has lived up to expectations and keeps on giving.

We got lucky (So far) and got a real bargain which is in good nick - I think if you get problems it really takes the shine off owning (see Roo's good bye thread).

For me personally (and its only me) I think the Zed is the best sounding car I've ever come across and the interior is a really comfortable place to be - its the perfect balance between power, prestige at 'budget' prices.

I think thats why its so easy to forget how expensive it can be when it goes wrong.

Bottom line if you are not absolutely excited by this car then don't get it because its clearly not for you anymore and you'll end up resenting it.

Or do what I do - buy a car, experience it, shift it 12 months later and get something different.

I see where you are coming from and it's completely normal with any expensive purchase. Something comes out, it's beautiful and just have to have it, but can't afford it, you start saving or waiting for a time when it becomes available to you financially, but by the time you can afford it, a newer version has come out, i.e. 370z etc so your stuck wondering, do you keep saving until you can afford that one, or buy the old model?

Well, this is a decision only you can make. For me it wasn't so hard, the Zed was only just inside my budget. The tax wasn't going to be too bad being an '04 and the insurance was obviously going to be a bit cheaper because of it's age and value too, so a 370 or a 313ps 350z wasn't even an option, although Jag XK8's were and older Boxsters just scraped inside my budget too. I decided to go with the '04 350 due to feeling that it suits my personality better than the XK and Boxster and there are many many upgradable parts available for it due to it being around for a while and Japanese. This way I can make it truly mine.

Good luck with your decision! :thumbs:

i didnt want it at all!

i had a audi a3 at the time, and i was looking at alsorts of cars (dc5, dc2, civic type r, elise, corsa vxr nurburgring, vxr8, evo's, etc etc) and as i always am i was talking to a mate (while i was away with work) and he said 'my mate has just sold his 350Z and recommended me to go and have a look at some, so when i finished shift thats what i did, 12 days later i had bought my first rear wheel drive car, first car with over 300bhp, first standard 2 seater (i had a modified fiesta zetec-s track car with only 2 seats thats why i say standard) first V6, first car with more than 16v, first car with stagered wheels, plus alot more firsts im sure!

also its the cheapest car for insurance i have ever owned! :)

so i think win win all the way.

yep, i've pretty much wanted one since they came out, plus they are now just in my price range. However, it would have been even more awesome if i didnt get a 300ZX first, as it meant that when i did move to a zed, i already knew what the power and torque would feel like.

I'm also in the position that i think the 350Z is a better looking car than the 370Z, so no worries for me about wanting the newer one - only thing i'd swap between the two is the engine.

Came from a 200SX and only bought the Zed because I knew Id get fed up of an S2K, and if I bought and S15 it would be a 400hp drift monster within 3 weeks, which wasnt really the plan. :dry:

So instead I bought the Zed and still went through 8 sets of rears in 13 motnhs when I doscovered it drifted better than a stock S15 anyway :blackeye:

I lusted after a lotus for around as long. When I finally got my hands on a mint exige it wasn't the car i'd dreamed of. Ended up selling it, and after a while, got the 350z which is easily the best car i've owned. It's downright brilliant. Chose it over another lotus, DC2, DC5, S2000, clio trophy etc etc.

PLEASE don't go near the boxster. My brother had a superb-condition Boxster S and they really are very dull. Yes it goes ok and is built well but it fails to put a grin on your face, whereas the 350z does that everytime. The old boxsters are cheap for a reason. Parts are a fortune and the engines often fail costing more than the car's value to fix.

To me the 370z is a superb car but the prices are sky-high for now...£20k for a good one? You're better spending £8k on a good 350 and then moving to the 370 when prices are lower and you fancy a change. To me they are very similar cars anyway and the £12k extra outlay isn't worth it. As far as the power hike on the 370 goes, the 350 has plenty of power for the road, more is a luxury but really not essential if you ask me.

I lusted after a lotus for around as long. When I finally got my hands on a mint exige it wasn't the car i'd dreamed of. Ended up selling it, and after a while, got the 350z which is easily the best car i've owned. It's downright brilliant. Chose it over another lotus, DC2, DC5, S2000, clio trophy etc etc.

Don't say that - I am considering going the other way! :lol: Was it an s1 or s2 lotus and was it an s version?

Don't say that - I am considering going the other way! :lol: Was it an s1 or s2 lotus and was it an s version?

I've driven them all (pretty much) but owned a 2006 model exige NA (wouldn't recommend the pre'06). One of the biggest issues was the lack or rear/ all round visibility for anything near real-world driving. The S model puts the intercooler up high so you have zero rear-view. In the NA model you at least get some (you can see cars, lights etc through the rear grill).

The ride is just too harsh for everyday use and on mine, despite being nearly new, everything went wrong. Incredibly hard to drive fast on the road too, with the engine out behind you it's always waiting to spin on you (a common complaint with new drivers) which is much worse in wet/ winter. Fiberglass clams are fragile-as glass- as the name suggests which is difficult for daily use too. I ended up with severe tinnitus, a ruined back and knee from the driving position too.

However, they are completely superb to look at, the steering feel is amazing and they will always feel special when you sit in it for a drive. Get one of the stage 2 exhausts and the pop-bangs on the overrun are very grin-worthy (obviously no link to the tinnitus there!).

Overall, if you're gonna do it, it's much better as a second car than as a main driver (mine was main driver).