"Gentlemen, we can rebuild him!"

Ekona

Some of you may be aware I've had some on-going back problems over the recent years, and having finally had enough of the pain I went under the knife on Thursday afternoon to try and get it sorted permanently.

Basically, what I had was is what is normally referred to as a slipped disc, although such a thing is impossible medically speaking. What actually happened is that part of my L5/S1 disc has prolapsed over the years and started putting pressure on my nerves around the spinal cord, causing significant muscle control problems (my left calf is 6cms smaller than my right) along with a fair bit of pain, as I'm sure you can imagine. It almost stopped me walking down the aisle at my wedding at Christmas, hence my desire to get it sorted for good.

I went privately so I could pick my own date to make it easy for work reasons, and as I said the op was on Thursday. Surgeon went in, removed some bone, pulled the muscle to one side then cut out the dead pieces of disc pressing on the nerve. Should've been a 1 hr op, took him twice as long as it was much worse that he thought in the end. Woke up 6pm and instantly had more movement in my leg than I've had for years: I very nearly cried with happiness.

The last couple of days have been a bit tougher than I would've liked though. I stopped overnight Thursday, so Friday was spent taking painkillers and trying to walk to the bathroom, a task I failed as I fainted into the nurse's arms. Finally cracked it and came home yesterday evening, so today has been my first full day at home. Woke up in a lot of pain this morning, very uncomfortable to lay either on my back or on my side, so wasn't very happy at all. Have taken some tramadol now though, fabulous stuff! :yahoo:

It's a very long recovery period now: 6 weeks before I see the consultant again, at least 2 months before I can drive and a further month before I can consider going back to work. That's a long time to be spent laying flat on my back, I'm already bored of these four walls! Still, plenty of time to lecture folks on here about tyres and stuff I guess ;) I apologise in advance if I'm more miserable in the coming weeks, am going to try and use this place as my go-to forum for when I need some cheering up though, you lot get me in stitches more often than anywhere else anyway :D

• Like 1

Nothing better than getting something like that sorted mate.....you know your on the road to recovery.

I had my knee rebuilt (in an NHS hellhole unfortunately) but I was so satisfying when I could run and play footy again

They had to fuse a couple of vertibrae in my uncle for a similar thing a few years ago - if they've done the same to you, can we then lay you out and use you as a tobogan ? :lol:;)

Sounds like a holiday for us mods then :teeth: ..........or,

Er................ perhaps not as another of spate tyre wars break out :headhurt::lol:

More seriously, op sounds positive news - no gain without pain as they say. Lets hope for the future that something you have suffered for some time is now history :thumbs:

They had to fuse a couple of vertibrae in my uncle for a similar thing a few years ago - if they've done the same to you, can we then lay you out and use you as a tobogan ? :lol:;)

Toboggan, brilliant! Not heard that one yet :lol:

I had my knee rebuilt (in an NHS hellhole unfortunately) but I was so satisfying when I could run and play footy again

I've already decided that I'm going to take up a martial art when I'm better, always wanted to become a ninja of sorts so that's a personal goal for me :)

I feel your pain... at in 2008 i had very similar surgery... My L5/S1 is pretty much dead and the one below that (the very bottom one) is severely damaged.

I was 24 years old so they said they wouldnt do a disc replacement on me as they said it only lasts about 10 years, so they did something called a 'Wallis Ligament Procedure' where they insert a piece of artificial ligament on one side of my spine, which is then tightened to ease the pressure on my discs.

I also went private, and was in hospital for 4 nights, and also did the fainting thing when trying to walk :lol:

However - the absolute most important thing that you have got to do is GO TO PHYSIO! I didnt, as i wasnt referred, and basically had no post-op support. As a result my back got progressively worse as the muscle they cut through became so weak, and in my first 2 years following the surgery, my disc continued to slip and i was off my feet for lengthy periods frequently. I could stand up for only 30mins at a time, and couldnt walk anywhere far.

Sadly for me however, i would deem my surgery a failure as the pain still affects me on an almost daily basis. I am unable to do any physical exercise with the exception of cycling, which really depresses me. I used to play sunday league footy, basketball, and also boxed (so i was doing exercise 6 nights a week) but i now cant do any of this, and have since put on 5-stone :doh:

So - good luck to you, take it easy, enjoy your time off work, but please go to physio!!!!

Sounds like some pretty serious stuff mate - hopefully you will mend quickly and with fantastic results. Must be a kick in the nuts to be laid up for so many weeks but we are all rooting for you and sure yo will be back in no time.

A few of us have been wondering about the wheelchair you are using to get around on in the meantime. What tyres have you got on it? We hope they have matching treads, equal wear and are inflated properly. :lol:;)

Sounds like some pretty serious stuff mate - hopefully you will mend quickly and with fantastic results. Must be a kick in the nuts to be laid up for so many weeks but we are all rooting for you and sure yo will be back in no time.

A few of us have been wondering about the wheelchair you are using to get around on in the meantime. What tyres have you got on it? We hope they have matching treads, equal wear and are inflated properly. :lol:;)

I bet he has one of these cushions :lol:

Porsche_Cushion.jpg

Got a fabulous bargain on Ebay,4 tyres for Zed,all part worns,Nankang for front with 2mm of tread,Lingalong with 2.1mm for front,Michelin PS2 8mm of tread and a Matador with 2mm,both for rear.All for £20 :yahoo:

Car now handles like s..t.Any ideas why? :teeth:

Get well soon,had a slipped disc myself some years ago,never known so much pain. :wacko:

Are they all inflated to the same pressure? :teeth:

Got a fabulous bargain on Ebay,4 tyres for Zed,all part worns,Nankang for front with 2mm of tread,Lingalong with 2.1mm for front,Michelin PS2 8mm of tread and a Matador with 2mm,both for rear.All for £20 :yahoo:

Get well soon,had a slipped disc myself some years ago,never known so much pain. :wacko:

Don't be cruel :lol: he'll be tripping enough on the Tramadol!! :lol:

Fainting?

drama-queen-2.gif

Nah I keed.

Glad you have it sorted. Must make you aware of how fragile life or a good quality of life is, if that makes sense. Was you born like that or was it an injury or does it happen over time?

Cragus he wouldnt touch that chair the wheels arent matched front and back :lol:

Fainting?

drama-queen-2.gif

Nah I keed.

Glad you have it sorted. Must make you aware of how fragile life or a good quality of life is, if that makes sense. Was you born like that or was it an injury or does it happen over time?

Cragus he wouldnt touch that chair the wheels arent matched front and back :lol:

Staggered fitment :lol:

Lols you're all gits! :p:lol:

@Marzman: Cheers for that dude, despite how common back injuries are its surprisingly hard to find someone else who has been there and done it. I think I'm lucky in that I've had no muscles cut, fused bones or bits added, but I'm definitely aware of what's been done inside and I've already seen a physio regarding some basic muscle exercises, will definitely keep it up after reading what you've said.

@Dblock: No idea how it happened in truth. I think (and this is my own hypothesis) that it goes back to when I was 12/13 and was playing hockey at school. Bent over to whack the ball, back gave way, had about a week off then it was fine. Fast forward to 5 years ago and I literally woke up one morning in absolute agony, didn't do anything to set it off at all that I can remember and had been in pain ever since. Was quite funny in hospital, it must clearly be the kind of thing they see a bit often in a certain type of person, as they kept asking me if I did it playing rugby or football: A less talented player of either sport you couldn't hope to find! :lol:

Not very comfortable this morning, so am dosed up on the good stuff again :D

I'm amazed you have gone that long before having it treated. Herniated disc pain can be excruciating (no personal experience); apparently it's right up there with labour!!? It must have impacted quality of life.

Glad you are on the mend. I would also reinforce the benefit of doing corrective, functional exercises as soon as possible. The body works as a whole and pain and weakness in one area can lead to compensation in others - known as regional interdependence. So even if the disc area is fixed the surrounding muscles will need strengthening because a weakness here might impact you in other areas. As you improve you should also focus on whole body movements across a variety of planes (e.g. a single leg squat with some rotation whilst maintaining pelvic stability). Take the physiotherapist's advice basically; I'm an exercise physiologist but the physiotherapist will have more knowledge about biomechanics of your back.