Keyed (my little rant)

JMRolfe

We’ve just moved to a new office at work, been there 2 or 3 months, and I came out of work Friday to discover that some lovely person has scrapped their key from one end of my boot all the way across to the other :@

It’s quite a deep scratch, down to the metal in a couple of places. If it was the bonnet I’d use it as an excuse to get it resprayed and have all the stone chips taken out. Being the boot I’m reluctant to pay £250ish to get it resprayed just to find who ever did it, does it again.

I’ve done a fair bit of scratch repair on the rear corners of my girlfriends car so I know the drill. I have not however tackled anything quit so long and I’ve also seen a lot of horror stories regarding getting this colour blue matched??

Just wanted to put a quick note out to see if anyone’s got any tips, do’s / don’ts or general advice before I make a start. If I try and it still looks awful I’ll reluctantly take it into the body shop at that stage.

Paps attached…

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h193/ ... AG0138.jpg

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h193/ ... AG0137.jpg

Cheers

James

Gutted for you, can't get my head around why someone would do that, complete mindless idiocy. Would hate that to happen to mine and would hate even more the consequences of catching someone in the act of doing it (i.e a lengthy prison sentence for GBH)

Have done ok with a Nissan touch up pot on my (orange) zed, and the results are surprisingly good - without knowing where the dings are it is very hard to notice them - but most of mine were smaller stonechips and not in such a visible location.

My sister managed a decent repair on the back of her Golf using rattle cans - I was really skeptical, but it looks all right - no idea if it is possible with a more metallic finish like your blue or even if it is possible to get close to the colour with rattle cans - hers is white.

If the scratch is really as deep as you say, it may not do any good, but the T-Cut scratch repair and wax did a presentable job of hiding a few scrapes in my old blue Polo - would bother me a bit about the exposed metal rusting with this though.

Jealous retards.

Gutted for you also :rant: I'd say it's more than a touch-up pot job but I'd love to be proved wrong. Touching it up and blending it back in would take so long that I think it'd be less painful to take it into a paintshop, that is unless you're confident in sanding the whole scratch down and priming/painting/lacquering with rattlecans. I'd hate to spend a weekend doing that and not be happy with the result.

Paints4U (sound dodgy don't they!!) do a good job matching paint, although Azure is a lot trickier than flat colours. They do repair kits too.

http://www.paints4u.com

Looks like a proper respray job there :shrug:

There is only one reason for that sort of thing, down and out jealousy. A nasty little runt of a person with nothing going for them in their life doing it out of spite. I am a calm person usually, there are few things that would spur me to violence, with a baby on the way I already feel myself becoming very defensive around Becks, god help anyone who did anything to her...and this sort of thing isn't far behind! I've taken a few people to the cleaners in my time but this sort of person would be next on the list if I caught them :rant: really does beggar belief - I actually sighed audibly when I opened those pictures.

That's horrible.

Being the boot I’m reluctant to pay £250ish to get it resprayed just to find who ever did it, does it again.

Sadly, that's always a possibility if it's parked in the same place every day. From my limited experience with the sort of people that do this they generally like to spread the misery about so next time it could be somebody else who's targeted. We had an incident where I used to work where a dozen or so cars were keyed over a period of 6 months or so, never the same car twice and cars seemingly picked at random, like my mate's 5 year old Passat :shrug: .

Pete

Pond life every where, you just hope they get their comeuppance.

+1 on paints4u, many of us use them and I'm an azure man, very good quality and a very good match as well. I have to say it does need a full panel job but if you up for it,great.

Let us know how you get on? :thumbs:

Cheers for all the support guys - it is truly gutting…

Unfortunately there’s no CCVT in our car park. I tried the cameras in the adjacent car park but it doesn’t cover it at all. Security team said they’d take a more watchful eye but in reality that’s not going to stop someone : (

I’ll keep you posted on my repair process.

Cheers

James

other option might be someone like chips away, they can repair stuff like this for less than a bodyshop. might be the cost effective option.

just do an online yellow pages search for smart repairs and see whats in your area

This is a good point, I used chips away to clean up my A3 before i sold it and they got the colour match spot on, despite it being the Mauritius Blue pearl effect which is similar to Azure in the 'pain-in-the-arse-to-colour-match' tables. They were pretty cheap too.

DB

Might be worthwhile seing if it may be cheaper to get a replacement rear hatch from a breaker in same colour.Also if you have it painted same time as front sprayers will only need to buy and mix paint once,save a small amount there.

Ps.Why are mindless idiots like that allowed to breathe? :rant:

• 4 weeks later...

Unfortunately the scrot fairy just paid my virtually flawless gunmetal 350z roadster a visit too. Was it because I washed it the previous weekend and it had lost the protective coating of grime and road salt? Did from the passenger door right onto and over the rear wheelarch.

What kind of people breed these zombies? They see something nice then think I'll just do some destruction for kicks. Well if curses and witchcraft work this person will get what they deserve. My 300ZXTT has escaped this so far despite owning it for 10 years but my V8 engined MGZT also succumbed a couple of years back. I want a proximity or touch sensor that lets off high voltage or something effective now.

I just said "What a f_cking c_nt " out loud when I saw your pic. I'm not a violent person but god help the person found doing this to my car. Absolute scum some people today. Probably some low life sponger who thinks the world owes them a living :angry:

Sorry I cannot offer any positive advice but hope you can get it sorted soon at reasonable cost.

Is there such a device that uses a proximity sensor to film outside the car from within? If not, there should be as at least you'd know what the bastard looked like and could either arrange for the rozzers to sort it or make your own arrangements. :boxing:

I've had a bad day so apologies for my rant on this rant thread.