Found One !

Rainman

Hi Guys,

I'm now the owner of an '05 GT with 55K miles, fully loaded except for Sat Nat. Grey metallic with black leather seats and 18" Rays which have been re-finished in a slightly darker shade of grey metallic. Got it from an independant dealer for a smidge over £8k and he happily took my Cupra in part-ex. Full Nissan service history, four new Bridgstone Potenza's, serviced 500 miles ago, taxed/MOT until November and loads of receipts and history. It's a very clean and completely bog-standard car, which was exactly what I was looking for.

Parkers, with the price adjusted for spec and mileage, had it valued at just over £9K so I was happy with the price. I paid a tiny bit more than I was planning but it was definately the right car and represented a good deal being that bit newer. I found I had to up my budget a little to get away from the dross I'd been to see so far (not on these forums I might add) but ultimately ended up with a car two years newer than I'd envisaged.

The only thing I'm a little nervy of is that it's heading toward 60K miles on the same clutch, but it feels ok tbh. No funny noises, smells, etc. I'd contempled that area as being the first thing in line for some kind of attention anyway. The evidence suggests that the 2 previous owners haven't been heavy-footed with it - looking at the number of receipts for tyres, brake pads, etc - assuming I do have all the reciepts. I'm assured that I have EVERYTHING but that can't be proven.

Phil

£9k ? Really?

Good news for me then, my 05 GT with 54K was £8k 6 months ago :D

I'd been using Parkers as a guide simply because the prices tended to be a little higher so don't get too excited, which served to set my expectations a little more realistically in my hunt for a (hopefully) honest car.

There is a difference between what a dealer thinks your car is worth (guide price), what an enthusiast thinks his car is worth and what in the real world it will actually change hands at which is probably somewhere in between. That 9K price from Parkers is from a dealer and not a private sale which is somewhat less, and if you traded it into a dealer then it is less still.

Phil

Thread tidied and report closed. The team will be watching the thread closely, anymore off topic comments and some official warnings will be dished out. :) Now please move on and keep on topic. :thumbs:

Admin ninja edit

I bought my Zed on 68k with its original clutch but it soon went unfortunately.... Plenty of traders on here that do good deals, I got a race clutch & lightweight fly + fitting was £800 which I thought was pretty good...

I wouldn't stress about not getting a Zed with satnav the birdview is ok but it is relatively cheap to fit your own one :thumbs:

As for price as long as you are happy thats all that matters, I slightly overpaid for my Zed 2 years ago because I didn't know the forum.... but I have had no problems with it at all and now it is on 100k+ and going strong!

Might be worth checking what Potenza's you have, if they are REO40s they are not too great, if they are REO50s or better still REO50As then result!!!

+1, had a couple of "hairy moments" in the wet on the 040's which were on my car when I bought it :scare:

I bought my Zed on 68k with its original clutch but it soon went unfortunately.... Plenty of traders on here that do good deals, I got a race clutch & lightweight fly + fitting was £800 which I thought was pretty good...

I wouldn't stress about not getting a Zed with satnav the birdview is ok but it is relatively cheap to fit your own one :thumbs:

As for price as long as you are happy thats all that matters, I slightly overpaid for my Zed 2 years ago because I didn't know the forum.... but I have had no problems with it at all and now it is on 100k+ and going strong!

Might be worth checking what Potenza's you have, if they are REO40s they are not too great, if they are REO50s or better still REO50As then result!!!

Yeah I've had the clutch in the back of my mind from the get go and will most likely be upgrading it to something beefier as part of the overal plan.

Ah no, I'm not worried about that in the least mate - whilst I'm planning on driving it in standard trim for a short while, just so I can get a grip on any issues that might arise, its going to go on a serious diet in due course. Depending on the package we end up with under the hood will determine just on how severe the diet will be as I have a power-to-weight goal and quite prepared to forego the ICE completely if it comes to it.

Yup, they're REO50As so happy days it seems.

Phil

Yeah I've had the clutch in the back of my mind from the get go and will most likely be upgrading it to something beefier as part of the overal plan.

Ah no, I'm not worried about that in the least mate - whilst I'm planning on driving it in standard trim for a short while, just so I can get a grip on any issues that might arise, its going to go on a serious diet in due course. Depending on the package we end up with under the hood will determine just on how severe the diet will be as I have a power-to-weight goal and quite prepared to forego the ICE completely if it comes to it.

Yup, they're REO50As so happy days it seems.

Phil

I think the phrase is 'jammy bar steward' although mine came with them brand new all round too :thumbs: they are night and day compared to 40s...

+1 on the 40's. Had them in my rx8 and they were fricking dire. The 50's are on the z4 and they handle brilliantly

She's looking good. the price is reassuring too! Too many going far too cheap these days which is most likely why there is some abused dross knocking about after someone's thrashed it. Sounds like this one has been looked after.