Toyota FT-86

neo

Depends how you drive it, I guess. I wouldn't say they're slow, more nippy if you go by my original list. Certainly they can be hustled very well down a country lane, but any modern diesel saloon will out-drag one these days.

A 350Z isn't a sports car. Neither is the FT-86, nor a 911 or a Celica. An MX-5 is, a Boxster is, an S2000 is, a 350Z Roadster is etc.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends how you drive it, I guess. I wouldn't say they're slow, more nippy if you go by my original list. Certainly they can be hustled very well down a country lane, but any modern diesel saloon will out-drag one these days.

A 350Z isn't a sports car. Neither is the FT-86, nor a 911 or a Celica. An MX-5 is, a Boxster is, an S2000 is, a 350Z Roadster is etc.

You can't say a 350z roadster is anymore of a sportscar than the coupe, if anything it's less so due to the added weight ;)

Also, the word 'nippy' can't be added to 'sports car'.

I would describe a 1.4 C2 as 'nippy' compared to the 1.1, but neither are sports car :lol:

You can't say a 350z roadster is anymore of a sportscar than the coupe, if anything it's less so due to the added weight ;)

The hardtop 350Z is a sports coupe, the Roadster is a sports car because it's a convertible with two seats and RWD. If it's not a convertible it can't be a sports car, but not all convertibles are sports cars.

Keep up at the back :p

That rubbish Ekona, you know it's splitting hairs, a sports car can be a coupe or a soft top. Sarnie's right - roadsters are more compromised by added weight and less rigidity, surely the only extra 'sports' kudos is due to being able to hear the engine better? I'll take a more polished drive over that anyday, it's why I wouldn't buy a Boxter but I'd love a Cayman which is the car it should always have been in my opinion, not being a hairdresser :p

The boxster was designed as an open top so there is no compromise.

Putting a roof on it maybe made it even better however the boxster isn't a chopped up coupe to begin with.

I agree that a sports car can be a coupe though.

That rubbish Ekona, you know it's splitting hairs, a sports car can be a coupe or a soft top. Sarnie's right - roadsters are more compromised by added weight and less rigidity, surely the only extra 'sports' kudos is due to being able to hear the engine better? I'll take a more polished drive over that anyday, it's why I wouldn't buy a Boxter but I'd love a Cayman which is the car it should always have been in my opinion, not being a hairdresser :p

How is being factual splitting hairs? People sometimes get so defensive when it gets pointed out that they don't technically own a sports car but a sports coupe, but who cares? What do you think I drive, and do you think I'm bothered? You can have coupes and sports coupes y'know, and they are different.

Sports cars do not have tin tops. End of.

So the instant lotus took the Elise and put a roof on it to make the stiffer and faster Exige, it just stopped being a sports car?

Sorry but I'm struggling with that one. I'll admit the Zed isn't really a sports car because it's too fat and comfortable, but then claiming that the even fatter Roadster IS a sports car because it doesn't have a roof is just bizzare :wacko:

DB

How is being factual splitting hairs? People sometimes get so defensive when it gets pointed out that they don't technically own a sports car but a sports coupe, but who cares? What do you think I drive, and do you think I'm bothered? You can have coupes and sports coupes y'know, and they are different.

I couldn't give a flying one what people call the car I drive, I just think there is no difference between a 'sports coupe' and a 'sports car'. That is splitting hairs. Did some massively respected petrol head academic decree that's how it is? If Mr Bean told me I'd be happy with that :lol:

I do struggle to understand how some people can say that a 270+bhp RWD car, which is accomplished dynamically, isn't a sports car. Where is the line drawn? Does it need motor'SPORT' pedigree, now that I would understand.

It's all relative (and subjective) I guess. Plus I'm hungover, give me this one please :D

2-seater, RWD, convertible. The very definition of a sports car, surely?

Take the convertible bit out, not a sports car if you ain't got a solid roof in my mind :shrug: There for enjoing noise, fresh air and posing more than actual driving. lol

Wiki dosen't agree with your no-compromise stance either Dan

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sports_car

Main criteria in dictionary definitions is that a sports car is low, fast, and usually a two-seater

which makes your car one, so not all bad, eh :p:lol:

So I shall keep calling my ZED a sports car :teeth:

I call mine Sonia, because she gets on most "sports" car owners nerves :lol:

When perusing around Europe, she's a GT Sport Coupe, when dawdling around the doors, she's a thing of beauty, a kinda Sports Car Beauty that makes pedestrians walk into lampposts when gawping :teeth:

Soft tops are synonymous with coiffuring :lol:

Back on topic, the FT 86 is a gorgeous little machine, but will be in the same class as a Celica, small, nippy and pretty B)

the zeds a GT cruiser ;) its not s sports car, i'm sorry i'm with dan; a true sports car is a 2 seater convertible with RWD.

the definition "sports car" does not make it top of the performance tree its just a term to describe 2 seater convertible rwd cars. ;)

Zed is still a performance car as are lots of others but unless its a vert rwd 2 seater its not a sports car :p

and yes i drive a luxo-barge :lol:

my coupe is doing 9....9 for god sake and in reality it pulls away from most of your boxes and some classier titles too!

Is it broken? Our Giulietta does 0-60 in 9 seconds and its a 2l soot chucker! :lol:

Jaynes little punto does less than 9 I'm sure! It's a 1.4 with a wee turbo on it.

Nope not broken just horridly underpowered :dry: lol BUT! I won't complain because I got it when I was a good bit younger and couldn't afford anything near its looks and type otherwise, so not bad. But yes thats the annoyance... little hatchbacks and stuff now able to shoot past... (none of this boy racer stuff again lol) just...a bloody niggle. C'mon who wouldn't be annoyed when a polo GTi ..even tho it was already moving when the lights went green, I could not catch it to the end of the dual carridgeway. Wasn't racing, I just wanted to see... and damn. :headhurt: So... thats why I'm buying a Zed. lol I just want to "know" the power is there more than anything :lol: Bloody hatchbacks :p

How young? Are you joking the coupe looked dated the day it came out. It's an old woman car too :lol::p my first car a 1.4 arosa did 0-60 in 8.9

:lol:

Nope not broken just horridly underpowered :dry: lol BUT! I won't complain because I got it when I was a good bit younger and couldn't afford anything near its looks and type otherwise, so not bad. But yes thats the annoyance... little hatchbacks and stuff now able to shoot past... (none of this boy racer stuff again lol) just...a bloody niggle. C'mon who wouldn't be annoyed when a polo GTi ..even tho it was already moving when the lights went green, I could not catch it to the end of the dual carridgeway. Wasn't racing, I just wanted to see... and damn. :headhurt: So... thats why I'm buying a Zed. lol I just want to "know" the power is there more than anything :lol: Bloody hatchbacks :p

the 06 facelift still looks good today, you thinking about the orange indicators, 16 inch alloy, old bumper ones? lol Cleaned up and especially with the black tints still a good looker. They don't make cars that kind of shape anymore. And before you have a hissy fit i mean the side profile, classic sporty look. Erm trying to think of better examples... side profile on thr new XJ, DB9 etc.. Its all wierd shapes and stuff now, dont agree with most of it lol Im sure somebody will speak out about it though lol I like the long bonnet look. Even the Z has it from the side which is deceptive as its reasonably short in length. the classic looks the best. :thumbs:

Look at my banner? Never mind the fact its mine,im not calling it a supercar either lol just looked at the shape, you trying to say thats ugly? :shrug: It shares the same form and style as the cars I said above... :blink: And your saying its... not nice looking? The Zed compared to most new cars looks dated... would you say thats not a nice car?

You can tell its older compared with all the 'jagged' edge styling goin on just now, but I wouldn't call it dated :shrug: