Toyota FT-86

neo

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thing is, if the poverty spec Toyota version is £28K, then what price a 4WD turbocharged Subaru version? £38K? £40K+?

Yeah thats a fair point that I hadnt considered. The way car prices are going it makes my 370z look more and more like a bargin!

Pricing looks on par with the Audi TT range (£28k for the basic one). Audi TT RS is £45k and I certainly know what I'd pick if one of those is the same price as the Subaru.

Ooh, I'd almost forgotten about the TT as a rival. Very good point, and while the 86 will almost certainly be the better drive from an enthusiasts POV, Joe Bloggs would probably rather sit in a plush Audi than a lightened Toyota.

I think at £22K this car would've been a huge hit, but as it stands it's looking more like a bit of a dodo. Have we had MPG/CO2 figures released yet? I personally don't care about such things, but the market certainly does.

http://www.pistonheads.com/roadtests/doc.asp?c=47&i=24805

Quite frankly, this is one of the best cars to come out for a long time. Affordable, RWD, coupe, entertaining to drive at less than ten tenths, and one of my fave engine configurations. It deserves to be a huge success.

If I had to downsize from my current two car solution, I'd be all over this.

ToyotaGT86_12.jpg

More videos, this time of the Toyota...

Engine note reminds me of a VTEC - anyone know what kind of specific output the engine has?

also, how big are the arch gaps at 2:28? i dont think it will be long before suspension companies offer aftermarket dampers, you could pitch a tent under there! And it shows on the track as well, has a lot of lean through the corners.

How comes Top Gear apparently tested the BRZ here.. it even has Subaru badges..

http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/suba ... 2011-12-03

And it has the same engine/output at the Toyota one? What about all the rumours of the Subaru one having a Turbo and 300bhp!?

:headhurt:

That was the concept of the STi version i think mate. I'm not sure about all the polotics but with subaru having designed most of the car maybe they have reserved the rights for a force fed version. Turbo version would be great for aftermarket tuners but it might get the purists grumbling a bit.

I had a 190 Gen7 Celica prior to getting the Zed. Loved the car, still miss it sometimes! However, im a bit dissapointed that the new one is only producing 200bhp for £25k+. I've followed the development of the car since it was first announced and it was always going to be a RWD 2+2 with Toyota sorting out the looks and Subaru the engine and chasis etc:

Stick another 50bhp and drop the price a bit.. sales would be through the roof.

As it is, only 1000 a year coming to the UK.

It only has 150lbs torque :( - the torque is the best thing about the Zed in terms of the differences between the cars!

42mpg is quite impressive and obviously it has been an important factor... wonder if a small turbo wouldn't help... :p

• 1 month later...