Toyota FT-86

neo

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jesus.... I'll never win this will I? lol I've had mine parked next to the Z (eg... avatar), minus some arches and a more pushed back seating position giving it a further back roof line, its not immensely different in overall shape/profile? :blink: I don't get it lol. Ah well. You could say that about most cars of that type cos' you see a lot of either old grannies, old men, hair dressers in them all. BUT funnily enough, I've never seen an old person in a Z yet... least I'm moving in the right direction then :shrug::blush:B)

and...I'd rather have Shakira.. or one of the Saturdays :D

BUT funnily enough, I've never seen an old person in a Z yet...

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Wait till you go to your first meet!

We have some OAP (and close to it) members on here.

Also, two of the older members (no names :lol::lol: ) are two of the fastest!

I've never seen an old person in a Z yet... least I'm moving in the right direction then :shrug::blush:B)

I'm 25 and I'd say I'm outside the average age bracket of a Z owner. I don't mind that, it makes the Z owners a respectable lot! Especially when I came from the Honda scene which is to be frank is full of kids.

Ah well then lol I'm 25 just now, nearly 26 :dry: . But yeah thats a good point, bringing it up to a whole new league away from the young'n's. God it feels bad when you use that when your only 25... but you do notice a difference with someone whos only 18 odds pml. BRING ON THE PENSION :lol: Right enough posting here for me, think we've shot it way past the original FT-86 topic heh.

Hi I have just picked up on this tread and to be honest I haven't read every comment or mag write up.

But I do remember this car coming up in internal memos when I was at Toyota in 2008. The thought then was it would only be sold in north america and Japan. Has this changed?

TBH i don't really care how powerful it is (within reason) we just need some cars with a decent ride and feelsome steering these days. everyone is just making boring numb stodge these days with so-called "sporty" (ie backbraking) suspension that crusifies you over drain covers but still wallows around in the corners and for some reason, the general car buying public are lapping it up. ARE YOU LISTENING JAPAN, DON'T LET SOME MARKETTING TOFF RUIN IT!!

TBH i don't really care how powerful it is (within reason) we just need some cars with a decent ride and feelsome steering these days. everyone is just making boring numb stodge these days with so-called "sporty" (ie backbraking) suspension that crusifies you over drain covers but still wallows around in the corners and for some reason, the general car buying public are lapping it up. ARE YOU LISTENING JAPAN, DON'T LET SOME MARKETTING TOFF RUIN IT!!

Are you Chris Harris?????? :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Are you Chris Harris?????? :lol::lol::lol::lol:

No. :lol: allthough i did read that earlier this month. probably fueled my rant. i'm just tired of sitting in the likes of my mates A3 s and getting my teeth smashed whilst he tells me its the sports model. he doesn't like it when i then say, "no, the S is just the boggger, if its sporty why does it handle like a hovercraft?" I think a lot of people think that having no suspension makes their car faster round bends when on the roads it often makes it worse. but the uninformed will allways believe what some all-knowing salesman tells them.

Similar thing happens in my mates scirroco. he drives it everywhere with the magnetorheological (i typed that from memory, quite impressed with myself :p ) set to sport and i can feel it skitting across bumps. i dont think its a sport seting, more of a penis extension switch.

Maybe the sport settings and suspension work better on smoother German roads? No idea if they are smoother, but I guess they probably are :lol: I agree that over here they just rattle you to bits. Still its easy money for them to throw what are most likely cheaper and stiffer suspension on there and charge more money

I only use the harder setting on my PASM when the surface is very good, or more usefully when going over speedbumps so the back end doesn't flop down worryingly close to the floor. The normal setting is far more appropriate for UK roads by a long way.

less suspension movement and stiffer springs in a proper performance set will help you go quicker round the corners on track. you have less body roll and keep more planted. but its only good if its a decent kit and set up properly.

I have CATS suspension on my car which stiffens up on the corners under most pressure to keep the car balanced; which means i keep nice a flat and level but it adjusts for how fast i'm trying to do it. so if i'm taking it steady its nice and soft, and if i'm going hard its a lot stiffer.

I think alot of modern cars have short springs abd hard shocks so it feel like a sporty drive but use thin ARBs as I have found the much improve handling but also make the ride more crashy. My car on smooth Tarmac is so comfortable. I wish me german or Japanese roads :blush:

• 3 weeks later...

BRZ STi oncept. Production model should look a lot like this allthough the wing, splitter and quad exhausts are unlikely to make the production model. shame as they make it look really focussed.

Turbo-charged version could potentially be 300bhp allthough this one has an N/A engine.

I think it looks great :thumbs:

Because that's what Subaru will eventually do with theirs, whereas Toyota will go with a hybrid option.

Very pleased to see the weight down so low, however it's not exactly a looker (front is scowling and the rear is like a slab) so it'll need to be very special to drive.

Yeah, it looks very nice but 200bhp!!!!! :yawn:

going on power to weight ration only

350Z DE = 184 bhp per ton

350Z HR = 193 bhp per ton

FT86 = 181 bhp per ton

which would suggest it being slap on about the same as the zed. and if the scooby version gets the turbo engine then its going to make the zed look slow as a slug.