Tyre guide: post your tyre review here

Stew

I've read through the whole thread and now I cant decide what tyre I want!!?! Fronts at the moment are useless in the wet (some budget dealer rubbish) and I defo need a good tyre in the wet!!

Had Eagle Asymmetrics on my ST and I loved them! No ones really commented if they are just as good on the zed??

I think its between the Asymmetrics, Toyo T1rs and FK 452s. For wet roads which are the best? I'm not to concerned with the best performance in the dry because thats such few days up here and I make use of the motorbike on those rarities! :lol:

The Michelins are more than double the price of say the T1R's and 452's. The Toyo T1Rs will be good as will the 452's. The ride quality of these tyres over the RE40's will be a significant improvement. My Z has about 330HP and I have no problems with grip in the wet with 452's. Ride is excellent too.

One thing to check which hasn't been mentioned on this thread is insurance. I have heard of insurance claims not being honoured if non standard or non manufacturers specified tyres are fitted. Don't forget that insurance companies are just looking for any excuses not to pay out if a claim is made and this is one of them.

• 2 weeks later...

I 1st ran RE040s and TBH I couldnt see what everyone was complaining about...... until I got the falken 452s. WOW I love them. Only tested in the wet, due to the weather. But they are 100 times better than the re040s. Great price, handle fantastic. They make the re040s feel like I was driving on sheet ice.

Just put falken 452 all round on standard car.

Changed from some cheap tyres on front and bridgestone 050A on the rear.

Tyre noise is much improved above 50 mph, its still quite noisy but I can live with it now. Previously I thought this was the worst aspect of the car.

Grip seems ok for the road, fine in wet conditions and dry. So for the price and road use I think these were a good buy. Certainly worth the extra over a budget tyre and the premium options don't seem to be so much better that they are worth the extra money.

So overall for all year road use and taking price into account they are very good.

Just put falken 452 all round on standard car.

Changed from some cheap tyres on front and bridgestone 050A on the rear.

Tyre noise is much improved above 50 mph, its still quite noisy but I can live with it now. Previously I thought this was the worst aspect of the car.

Grip seems ok for the road, fine in wet conditions and dry. So for the price and road use I think these were a good buy. Certainly worth the extra over a budget tyre and the premium options don't seem to be so much better that they are worth the extra money.

So overall for all year road use and taking price into account they are very good.

Good too on the track - if only I can reduce that body roll............. :)

I replaced a set of bridgestones with some Falken ZIEX ZE-912's.

I've not driven too much in them since fitting but they seem to hold much better in the wet and especially on those slippy first rainy days after a warm spell. I even had the unfortunate experience of using them in a couple of inches of snow which they weren't so great in (no suprises there!)

despite the fact that the bridgestones did need replacing I still found them awful in the wet and really struggled to put and power through the wheels. Interesting that the same brand albeit different size tyres on my Civic type R were also pathetic in the wet.

I bought them from the delticon site and had a whole set fitted for a pretty reasonable price. Quiet enough on the road. Interesting read this whole thread!

I replaced a set of bridgestones with some Falken ZIEX ZE-912's.

I've not driven too much in them since fitting but they seem to hold much better in the wet and especially on those slippy first rainy days after a warm spell. I even had the unfortunate experience of using them in a couple of inches of snow which they weren't so great in (no suprises there!)

despite the fact that the bridgestones did need replacing I still found them awful in the wet and really struggled to put and power through the wheels. Interesting that the same brand albeit different size tyres on my Civic type R were also pathetic in the wet.

I bought them from the delticon site and had a whole set fitted for a pretty reasonable price. Quiet enough on the road. Interesting read this whole thread!

The 912's are not going to perform like 452's........

Does anyone know if you could use winter tyres all year round? Would it not be more cost effective to fit tyres that will suit all weather conditions considering our artic climate? :shrug:

you can get seasonal tyres that are all rounders,they do all jobs ok but not 1 job excellently. better than a summer tyre in the winter, but not as good as a winter tyre in the winter. in the summer they'll be better than a ditch finder, but not a s good as a decent summer tyre.

winter tyres can be used in the summer but they will wear down very quickly.

no worries,

my opinions are based on readin gand not experience with those particular types of tyres. there may well be other sout there with more experience with these tyres. but i must admit, over the 8 car forums i have frequented, i've never seen anyone run all season tyres on a car.

people tend to either run summer tyres all year round, or have a set of winter tyres to swap to when the weather gets bad.

need to find what works best for you.

I doubt you will get winter tyres/all weather tyres in low profile sizes and even if you could they would be useless in this bad weather as they are too wide. You need thin narrow wheels and tyres for snow driving and then it is still very risky as other motorists can easily hit you. A 350Z or any high performance car with wide low profile tyres is a no go in any snow or similar winter conditions. Just leave the car in the garage or lock your keys away until the snow and bad weather clears.

Ok guys, besides the grip and handling issues which have been well documented here, which tyres would you definitely NOT chose because of road noise? :scare:

I also note that people have said Bridgestone 040A's are subject to bangs and crashes on harsher surfaces, I tend to agree as I unfortunately inherited these with the car, are the 050's any better in this regard?

I thank you :)

My old Rex came with 040's as standard, not very hard wearing and a ballache when cold or in the wet, when I changed to 050A's it was like driving on smooth double cream, with performance thrown in B)

The 370 comes with 050A's as standard, and it's all I know at the minute. Suffice to say the 370 is a much noisier drive than the 8 on the same tyres, albeit 19" as opposed to 18".

It may just be a "feature" of the Z.

I appreciate your comments G Man, thanks buddy :)

My old Rex came with 040's as standard, not very hard wearing and a ballache when cold or in the wet, when I changed to 050A's it was like driving on smooth double cream, with performance thrown in B)

The 370 comes with 050A's as standard, and it's all I know at the minute. Suffice to say the 370 is a much noisier drive than the 8 on the same tyres, albeit 19" as opposed to 18".

It may just be a "feature" of the Z.

• 1 month later...

Ok, I've talked to my tyre guy and he suggested the following ( he has a 350 Z and has done something similar on his and says it hasn't upset the TC):-

Fronts 245 x 45 x18

Rears 265 x 35 x 18

Will this work and is it worth the extra rubber at the rear? :wacko: Is there a formula somewhere to work out the rolling radius? :)