Tyre guide: post your tyre review here

Stew

Anyone wishing to purchase Bridgestones then do 2 things,

1. Make sure they are RE050A

2. Ensure the compound letters are ADZ, you will find these letters on the sidewall.

ADZ compound is specific to the MY07, they are hard to get hold but not impossible, tyretraders.com are usually a good starting point.

• 2 months later...

Hi, i currently have Bridgestone tyres on my zed which has only covered 9k miles.As with my RX8 these tyres are hideously loud :angry: . I've still got some mileage left on these unfortunately but when i change them i don't want to fork out on another brand to find them noisy aswell. What tyres are quieter than these??

Hi, i currently have Bridgestone tyres on my zed which has only covered 9k miles.As with my RX8 these tyres are hideously loud :angry: . I've still got some mileage left on these unfortunately but when i change them i don't want to fork out on another brand to find them noisy aswell. What tyres are quieter than these??

i believe the falkens are meant to be quite good for quite road noise.

• 3 weeks later...

Quick question, what is the difference between the the ADZ and normal bridgestones? Ive still got the stock RE050s on from factory but need to replace them soon, also if the falkens produce less noise, presumably this is due to lower rolling resistance and therefore they dont work the surface as much and produce less grip and heat?

• 2 weeks later...
my 57 plate 08 MY has the original RE050A's with ADZ compound. Seem good but don't half make a noise on some of the surfaces around here.

Yeah i will second that.

Seem not too bad but the cabin noise is horrendous.

I am going to the ring in june so i will wear the backs out there and after reading all these reviews i will be putting T1R's on.

• 4 months later...

New shoes today - all four corners Toyo proxes T1Rs - what a difference - like night an day compared to the 'stones :thumbs:

Did about 180 miles on them this afternoon - Perth - Stonhaven- runabout with Dawn, Kenny & Jo :drive1 - and then home- immediate difference in cabin noise and smoother ride :teeth:

• 5 weeks later...

12 months ago, I replaced all 4 corners, putting on Falken 452's all round. While they've been ok grip-wise (nothing spectacular, just ok), the wear rate's been shocking. I've done less than 10k miles and have even been driving very, very gently, yet the fronts are already in need of replacement. It's like they're made of marshmallow or something. The rears aren't far behind them either. Very disappointed. :thumbdown:

Not sure what to get next. Am wondering whether Falkens are a false economy and I should just go with a Michelin Pilot Sport?

Dont think there is a review on here yet for the Nankangs, so i thought i would do an in depth review now.

i have them on the front, put on before i bought the car.

THEY ARE S**T (and thats not soot!)

crappy in the dry, are an abomination in the wet. I fully expect these tyres to shorten my life. if you look up any review on them they are terrible. my zed actually understeers alot they are so bad. I dont care how poor you are and need cheap tyres. sell your tv, sell your children, ffs sell your right testicle JUST DONT BUY THEM!

:)

Dont think there is a review on here yet for the Nankangs, so i thought i would do an in depth review now.

i have them on the front, put on before i bought the car.

THEY ARE S**T (and thats not soot!)

crappy in the dry, are an abomination in the wet. I fully expect these tyres to shorten my life. if you look up any review on them they are terrible. my zed actually understeers alot they are so bad. I dont care how poor you are and need cheap tyres. sell your tv, sell your children, ffs sell your right testicle JUST DONT BUY THEM!

:)

Great review A++++ Should review again :thumbs:

• 1 month later...

Looking for new tyres for 350Z.

I have heard the Vredestain ultrac sessanta's are good.

Have found them on camskill for £132 but only in a 100Y rather than 96Y which standard tyres are.

Is that ok for the 350? What difference will it make.

Is that what everyone else who bought them put on?

If not what can you reccomend instead and cost from where?

Cheers

Looking for new tyres for 350Z.

I have heard the Vredestain ultrac sessanta's are good.

Have found them on camskill for £132 but only in a 100Y rather than 96Y which standard tyres are.

Is that ok for the 350? What difference will it make.

Is that what everyone else who bought them put on?

If not what can you reccomend instead and cost from where?

Cheers

i have those tyres and i got them from camskills, they work excellently. really pleased with them.

I'd be very interested in your opinion, as when I tracked another Zed with RE050s on recently (in damp conditions) I think I actually preferred them to the MPS2 I use on mine, so if the Sessantas are close to them then it's another option to keep in mind... :)

• 1 month later...

VREDESTEIN ULTRAC SESSANTAS

I've now had a chance to try these out, so here's my thoughts on them along with a comparison to the Michelin PS2s. Bear in mind that these weren't on my own car, so the comparison is between a fully-braced revup Roadster with PS2s and a stock HR coupe with the VUSeseseses (previously on RE050s which I'd also tried on road and track). Conditions were cold (3deg) and damp to dry roads.

Initial impressions are quite favourable here, as the VUSs are certainly not a loud road tyre at all which makes for some pleasant cruising on motorways and the like as long as the roads are smooth. They were slightly less at home on rural B-roads, and they felt slightly jittery compared with the MPS2 which are very stable on all kinds of surface. That said, no-one really cares what tyres are like in a straight line on a motorway so I'll get to the fun bit ;)

I know the test roads very well so lack of knowledge wasn't a problem here, so I pulled away from a start fairly carefully considering it wasn't my car and I was on unfamiliar tyres, but still it's always a good idea to gauge early on what the grip levels are like so I gave it a bit of power to test and HOLY CRAPSICLES WTF BBQ the arse end was very willing to come round and stay round. I wasn't exactly ready for that but held it and carried on, having been given due warning quite dramatically. Truth be told though, that wasn't me being over heavy with the throttle nor the roads being particularly rubbish/cold/wet, I was to discover it's more a feature of the VUSs in so much as they don't have anywhere near as much grip as I'd hoped for. Now for some that may be a bad thing, and yet I'm not so convinced: The HR coupe wearing the VUS boots felt far more communicative than my Roadster in the MPS2, and once I got my head round the lack of grip I found the tyres an absolute delight and a hoot to drive on. The sidewalls are relatively soft (especially next to the MPS2) and as such they give you so much communication that you're never in a panic or a worry about what the car is going to do next, and it's very easy to get and hold an angle on the car at lower speeds than on the expensive Michelins which may not make for a faster drive over all, but it's possibly more fun.

I do fear that the VUSs wouldn't stand up to a track session in the same way the MPS2s do, but you'd be having such a laugh with them on would you really care? For outright speed and grip there's no doubt in my mind that the MPS2s are still the best tyre I've yet to try on the Zed with the RE050s a very close second (what the MPS have over the 50s in the dry they lose out in the wet), but are they worth £300 more per set? If you want to go as fast as possible then yes, they are, but if you're after something that is still a decent tyre in the damp but waaaaaay more communicative then it's hard to see how you could go wrong with the VUSeseseses. They're far superior to the T1-Rs in every way for just a little more money, and are well worth considering. :thumbs:

**EDIT**

R888s are now the best tyre I've tried on the Zed, please see post on pg12 for details. Table updated to include the R888s.

Specific marks

Scroll within code box to view

DRY GRIP
R888   5
MPS2   4
VUS    3
RE050  3
T1-R   2
RE040  3

WET GRIP
R888   4 (2 if torrential downpour and standing water)
MPS2   5
VUS    3
RE050  5
T1-R   3
RE040  2

COMMUNICATION
R888   4
MPS2   4
VUS    5
RE050  4
T1-R   2
RE040  2

NOISE
R888   5
MPS2   4
VUS    4
RE050  4
T1-R   3
RE040  2

OVERALL
R888  18/20 (16/20 in heavy rain)
MPS2  17/20
RE050 16/20
VUS   15/20
T1-R  10/20
RE040  9/20

As always, YMMV and IMHO. ;)

Do you actually have to scrub in car tyres still??? Bike tyres have gone further then and you dont need to really scrub them in, some very light coating on them :thumbs:

some are worse than others, depends on how much release agent they put on. normal scrubbing distance is about 300 miles, or a tank of fuel. which ever comes up first really.

my sessantas were squeeky for a few hundred miles when first fitted.

what the MPS have over the 50s in the dry they lose out in the wet

I personally found the 050s a bit better on a dry track as they dont overheat as much...ps2 were good for a few laps and they you could feel them overheated...050s lasted twice as much...

on a damp track i preferred the ps2s mainly because of the softer sidewalls and the braking grip..

one thing i loved on the 050s was the steering accuracy...such a difference to the ps2s although i agree they dont give much feedback on when the car is about to lose grip... :)

ps i now have 245/35/19 f and 275/35/19 ps2s...and they will be only doing road miles as i v kept the rays for track days...

so far i found the car to have less grip overall??? :dry: