Tyre guide: post your tyre review here

Stew

Maybe on the track you may notice they don't perform as well as track orientated tyres like T1-R's etc

on a dry track the bridgestones will out perform the toyos easily. toyos turn to putty after a lot less laps than the stones do

That may be the case and is probably due to the weight of the 350Z over working the tyres allowing them to get too hot - very common with cars like the BMW M5. On a lighter car it may be a different story but for road use (probably 98% of owners will never go near a track) the RE40's are totally rubbish. If I was going to do track days I would probably go for competition type tyre like the Toyo 888's or Yokohama A048's, but then these would not be very suitable for road use.

Nope, T1-Rs are crap with light cars too: i've tracked in both an mr2 mk3 and a VXR220 and melted them on both. Toyos are great for those terrified of a bit of water as that's their strong point, but they're not a serious performance tyre at all IMHO. I've yet to try the R1-R, but after reports from other users I feel they will quickly become the ultimate fast road and track tyre: sane compound as R888 but with more tread to dispel standing water.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi folks.. I have Bridgestone Potenza and think their fine though I've never had anything else to compare them to. ..

If they are RE40's bin 'em - great for some tail-out action on track but on the road , frankly useless in the wet.

If they are RE50's then opinion is divided but are certainly a big step up from the 040's. Checking back through this thread will reveal all.

BTW - how about an intro as this was your first post ;)

• 2 weeks later...

hi getting new wheels and tyres is fast becoming a nightmare, got standard 18" x 8" wheels. when ringing up for wheels and tyres suppliers give me different advice on size of wheel 18,19 or 20 and tyre sizes. looking for some 19" wheels seen some vortex wheels 8.5 front but 10 back are these to big and will it affect set up in any way, these will clear the brembos. any help appreciated

• 1 month later...
You'll hate them after the 050s, but they're a bit friendlier on your wallet.

I have to say cost does play a part in my choice, I am hoping the Falkens will get me though the winter as the 050's were the worst I have ever driven in icy/snow weather... and they were very nearly new :thumbdown:

Keep you posted :thumbs:

I have the standard bridgestone potenza 040s on the front and 050s on the back but was thinking of replacing them all. don't need it yet but its a new car :lol:

Any suggestions for a zed roadster that's used everyday for work and on minor back roads with lots of twists, turns and fantastic straights? Budget of about £500 ish for all four!

Cheers

I have the standard bridgestone potenza 040s on the front and 050s on the back but was thinking of replacing them all. don't need it yet but its a new car :lol:

Any suggestions for a zed roadster that's used everyday for work and on minor back roads with lots of twists, turns and fantastic straights? Budget of about £500 ish for all four!

Cheers

Falken 452s or Vredesteins

Cheers

If you budget is £500 ish the Falkens I am getting are £472 including filling with Nitrogen and balancing/alignment compared to £712 for the RE050's.

Cheers

If you budget is £500 ish the Falkens I am getting are £472 including filling with Nitrogen and balancing/alignment compared to £712 for the RE050's.

Where are you getting these from?

After a week and just under 600 miles since I have had Falken 452's fitted I thought I would give a little update.

My previous tyres were RE040's then RE050's

Pulling away seems good with decent traction, my normal route to the office is a fast B road with plenty of opportunity to brake and accelerate. I have not really felt any loss of grip in cornering either entering or exiting. Heavy breaking is direct with no wobble or draw in either direction.

Driving in the wet earlier in the week did not seem any worse or better than the RE050's, water dispersion also felt good when driving through larger puddles whether this will degrade as the tread wears down will remain to be seen.

Road noise is however different, on a road which is nice smooth tarmac the noise is less, but on a road surface which has chippings used (such as a stretch of the A34 between Newbury and East Isley.. if anyone knows it) the noise I think is increased.

Motorway driving is good and the car feels stable at cruising speed, but when accelerating to overtaking speed ;) the front does seem a little light and twitchy.... any one else had this? It was a little windy that day but never noticed this before.

For under £500 for a full set of Falkens compared to just over £650 for RE050's, my usage seems to be 2x Rears (pair) to 1x Front (pair)... so yes a saving, but maybe with a compromise on top end speed.

I will post a further update after a few months of use.

Motorway driving is good and the car feels stable at cruising speed, but when accelerating to overtaking speed ;) the front does seem a little light and twitchy.... any one else had this? It was a little windy that day but never noticed this before.

Strange that u mention that..i have recently replaced all fours with new Falken 452s as well. As i was coming back to Notts from the Northeast on M1, i realise that the front steering felt a bit lighter. As far as i know, they haven't altered the wheel alignments. :wacko::shrug: It only happens when you hit certain err..mph

• 3 weeks later...

vredestine ultrac sessenta

295 30 r19

265 30 r19

today out of curiosity while the monsoon season was in, there was an inch of standing water and it was still bucketing it down. on a normal tarmac straight flat road i gunned from a slow roll it to see what the grip would be like :blush: went through 1st, 2nd to 3rd flat out.

no TC light at all, felt like a dry road :blink: im both impressed and surprised. didnt lose grip at all. how can this be!! :scare::#1:

also driving down the mway with inch of standing water, i could feel the difference in resistance having wider tyres, felt bogged down a bit but definitely no aquaplaning whatsoever at 65mh and it was a huge amount of untouched water.