Tyre guide: post your tyre review here

Stew

Just had toyo T1R's fitted all round, did about 100 miles on the road then took them to a track day ! ( be afraid very afraid ) i admit i am not the smoothest driver in the world but these tyres let go in every corner whether your traveling at 10mph or 100mph. These tyres are not suited to the 350 z at all, they are coming off in the morning and going in the bin!

Tomorrow night I'm on the ferry to go to the ring and now i don't have time to sort out some tyres so will have to refit my old tyres Nankang NS2 which are not good but a lot better than the Toyo by miles

Just had toyo T1R's fitted all round, did about 100 miles on the road then took them to a track day ! ( be afraid very afraid ) i admit i am not the smoothest driver in the world but these tyres let go in every corner whether your traveling at 10mph or 100mph. These tyres are not suited to the 350 z at all, they are coming off in the morning and going in the bin!

Tomorrow night I'm on the ferry to go to the ring and now i don't have time to sort out some tyres so will have to refit my old tyres Nankang NS2 which are not good but a lot better than the Toyo by miles

You sure you were running them at the correct psi's etc. A lot of people on here run the Toyos and rate them highly, myself included. You can't honestly say that the Nankang's are better than the T1R's! :dry:

Must admit never thought about them needing to be run in but if thats the case shouldn't that info be available the same as it is for brake pads.

As for the nankang's i was running them at croft a week ago and yes they are not the gippyest tyre but thats why i bought the Toyos for going to the ring.

Oh and i never ran the nankangs in, they only got 200miles before the track day

The toyos to day where with out doubt the worst tyre i have ever used on any car.

forgot to say started with 35psi and as they warmed up i kept reducing the pressure so they stayed at around 34 - 35 psi

This is a post on the lancer register that a friend of mine that was with me to day has just told me about , if you read down the whole thread there are others with the same feelings but this one puts in to words what i carn't.

Ok i thought i would start a thread about the Toyo T1R tyres, ive had the Toyo T1S before on my car and loved them ...but tryed a few other brands since then with mixed results, however this time when i came to replace my tyres i thought i would try the newer T1R to see how it faired against the T1s and others ive tryed since...what a mistake .... tyres feel awfull once you start to push hard dry or wet even with a few thousand scrubbing in miles!....have got better as they are wearing down but still not happy at all!....tryed them at the Haynes sprint and they were terrible .... will not be trying them again, theres just 2 bigger tread pattern and not enough rubber on the road imo ....think i even prefered the Eagle F1 that i posted about hating last year....on the plus side they will soon be worn out and i can try something else.

Rant over

I had TOYO T1R's on my Evo 8 and they were fantastic, compared to the Continental Conti sports that were on it when i bought it? Bit weird that other people think they are poo, i would put them on my zed they were that good!

Also the tyre of choice for a lot of Lotus boys - they tend to know about grip. There will always be someone that doesn't like them for whatever reason.

Just recently had Toyo T1R'S fitted to my car on 19" nismo's, it would be fair to say that they may not be fully scrubbed in yet............even after the Wales do!! But all i can say is that they are a world away better than the Bridgestones i had on before. ;)

• 3 months later...

When I bought mines last month it had Wanli's on it... OMG they should be illegal! The car drove like it was icy after about 3 seconds of rain!

I now have NanKing NS2's and they have LOADS more grip and are still cheap as chips... had to get cheap after spending all my cash on buying the Z'd in the first place.

I think I also have another problem that the noob that put the old tyres on also had the wrong sizes on it, so having to try and work out what I need next time.

• 2 months later...

I cannot praise Falken FK452's enough, just had a full set fitted and after the factory gel has gone the grip is immense in both the wet & dry. I can honestly say they are noticebly different to the MPS I had fitted before, and at half the price it's a no brainer. I also noticed the Falken's are a hell of a lot quieter vs the mps when shifting standing rain. I ran a test last night on one of my regular b roads and noticed the traction control didnt kick in half as much as the mps did (even when the tread was new). The falkens also don't seem to crash as bad over potholes vs the mps.

I do circa 30k miles a year and am qualified to honestly say the falken's IMO are better than the MPS.

I just think the Falken's suit the zed really well - top tyre! :thumbs:

So, fitted 14/11/8 full set £434, I think I was quoted circa £720 for the MPS. That's roughly £300 less :wacko:

I must say I am truely gobsmacked by how better these tyres feel, I was kinda thinking I made a mistake and should have gone for the £££ premiums, but what a good choice I made.

I ran the Falkens for over a year and they're no good for track usage or hard driving. They're OK for general road use.

If you get your tyres hot and / or do track days then the Bridgestones RE040's or RE050's are the best tyre.

The Falkens turned to mush before they were worn out.

I ran the Falkens for over a year and they're no good for track usage or hard driving. They're OK for general road use.

If you get your tyres hot and / or do track days then the Bridgestones RE040's or RE050's are the best tyre.

The Falkens turned to mush before they were worn out.

personally couldnt disagree with that more :)

ran both the bridgestones and the falkens on track and the falkens are a lot better, currently running stock suspension (soon to be changed). The bridgestones were prolly a little better from cold and imo both fairly useless in the wet but in dry falkens worlds apart, maybe this is just driving style? who knows...

falkens also performed well at the strip, grip is immense......

• 2 weeks later...

Well I'm on my 4th set of tyres as of Friday after a blow out. The last two sets were GS-D3's, which I loved, and had them on a number of cars. Fantastic in the dry and just as good in the wet, and on our soft uneven volcanic clay roads that's saying something.

So anyway, as I couldn't get hold of any F1 Asymmetric the GS-D3 replacement, ended up going with the Yokohama Advan V103. I've only had them on about 100kms thus far, great in the dry, seem very good in the wet so far, and it's been pouring down today. Good lateral stability, it's improved the steering & braking response and reduced understeer & oversteer a bit. I was a bit trepidacious to start with, as they're not aggressive directionals, but seem good atm.

They come stock on Bentley Continentals, so I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing. :lol:

http://www.yokohama.co.nz/advan_sport.html

anyone ever used michelin primacy tyres? i can get hold of 2 part worn for 90 pounds, wondering wether to bother or not

Mate, do you really want part worns on your zed? It's the only link to the road :scare: Seriously, one area I would never ever cut corners on, you just don't know the part worn history....

Mate, do you really want part worns on your zed? It's the only link to the road :scare: Seriously, one area I would never ever cut corners on, you just don't know the part worn history....

i really didnt want part worns on, but unfortunatly funds ran low which meant i couldnt get brand new tyres until maybe feb, tax, insurance and serivce is due in january, talk about bad timing, these part worn are just on so i stay legal, i trusted where they came from as its my mates place that had them, i got 2 toyo t1r's for the rear for 35 each + fitting and some potenza's for the front again for 35 each + fitting, all with inbetween 4-5mm tread, not bad i thought

• 1 month later...

I've just put on Bridgestones RE040's all round, they seem brilliant! Also paid £510 fitted, balanced etc which seemed very good.

Maybe its just compared to what I had before (worn Bridgestone's up front and very worn Milleniums (never heard of them) on the back) but they seem great and no problems in the wet the last few days.

I think so long as you are sensible (well most of the time!) they are fine, also manage to slide it round the corners you just need to be aware of what the car and you can do.

These are what Nissan recommend so can't be that bad can they? After all they did put together a pretty sweet car!

I've just put on Bridgestones RE040's all round, they seem brilliant! Also paid £510 fitted, balanced etc which seemed very good.

Maybe its just compared to what I had before (worn Bridgestone's up front and very worn Milleniums (never heard of them) on the back) but they seem great and no problems in the wet the last few days.

I think so long as you are sensible (well most of the time!) they are fine, also manage to slide it round the corners you just need to be aware of what the car and you can do.

These are what Nissan recommend so can't be that bad can they? After all they did put together a pretty sweet car!

You should have bought the RE050's bud as these are much better than the 040's and at hardly any extra cost :thumbs: