Tyre guide: post your tyre review here

Stew

NANKANGS

i nearly died on the way home today in the rain, that's not a joke. tbh you could ask me any day and the answer would be the same because every day i take my life into my hands and go out on those black rings of bile and festering crap. Words cannot describe how bad they are, biscuit has been in the car with them on and knows first hand. I would say its very much like driving around on slushy roads everywhere.

suicide method no.342: The nankang way

• 3 weeks later...

Just replaced my Bridgestone RE40's with a set of Falken 452's. Big improvement in every area especially the ability to go over rough surfaces with minimal noise and vibration. Absorbs shocks well too. Haven't tried it out in the wet yet but will report back when I have done some wet weather driving.

• 2 weeks later...

PS2s or RE050s. Ultracs, T1Rs and 452s do not have 'great' grip in the dry in my experience, only the first two do. They're all capable tyres for the Zed (the Toyos and Falkens at the budget end and the Vredestiens in the middle) but if you want great dry grip and good wet grip then the Michelins or the Bridgestones have got to be what you're after.

AUTOGRIP F107

Just bought a Zed and the previous owner had fitted a new set of these on the rear to sell the car.

In the dry they are reasonable for the price, although short on grip compared to the 040's on the front.

In the wet though they are terrible and make it impossible to press on with any pace :thumbdown: . If it wasnt for traction control I would probably have binned it on the first roundabout.

So I can only recommend to stay well clear of these. I will be replacing soon with either MPS2's or GSD3's - has anyone ran both before on a Zed for comparison?

Pity about the GSD's they were great improvemet on my Fiat Coupe 20V T back in the day. I might try the Hankook Evo S1's then.

Aren't there some horror stories about Hankook on the forum somewhere ?

From that review:

Cornering feedback is pretty nice actually - must be something to do with the sidewalls, but despite feeling quite a lot of grip and a tiny amount of give as the car settles into the corner, there's also very good feedback and you seem to be able to tell exactly what the loaded tyre is doing and where it wants to go, with great precision

Yup, that's exactly how I felt about them. There's not much more grip there than something like the T1Rs, but there is sooooo much more feedback you can go that little bit quicker.

From that review:

Cornering feedback is pretty nice actually - must be something to do with the sidewalls, but despite feeling quite a lot of grip and a tiny amount of give as the car settles into the corner, there's also very good feedback and you seem to be able to tell exactly what the loaded tyre is doing and where it wants to go, with great precision

Yup, that's exactly how I felt about them. There's not much more grip there than something like the T1Rs, but there is sooooo much more feedback you can go that little bit quicker.

im really looking forward to getting mine now, cheers :)

I've got pirelli pzero rosso 275x35x19 on rear and a set going on front. Pretty good grip on the rear, little slippy in the wet if powered hard.

OK, but these are not a standard 350Z wheel and tyre size.

Just got back from a 1600 mile trip to Munich and back and the Falken 452's performed flawlessly. A huge improvement of the standard RE40's is every respect. Good grip in both wet and dry, Low noise and all the crashing and banging over bumps/uneven road surfaces you get with the RE40's has now gone. They also make the car's suspension feel more compliant on the road. Maybe on the track you may notice they don't perform as well as track orientated tyres like T1-R's etc but I couldn't detect they were any worse than the standard Bridgestones for grip on the road where most people will use them. They also look good on the car too.

Maybe on the track you may notice they don't perform as well as track orientated tyres like T1-R's etc

on a dry track the bridgestones will out perform the toyos easily. toyos turn to putty after a lot less laps than the stones do