£60 fine for not showing F number plate... (STORY)

brown7758

Well,

as it says in the title, tonight I was the unlucky recipient of a £60 penalty notice..

I was on my was from the other halfs house in Chorley back to camp in Melton Mowbray, which takes me onto the M6 (S) for a few miles,

as i was passing a nice new black BMW 6 series, i was rather admiring the sleek lines on it and noticed two aerials at the back (one being the shark fin) the second antenna i noticed was the police radio.. i thought 'very nice for a cop car!'

at this point, he looked over at me looking at him.. and pulled out to overtake a truck, i checked my speed (again) and thought, Im cool.. he aint got sheeeet on me :doh:

he then followed me at 70ish for a mile or so and popped his blues on.. so i proceeded to pull over and stop on the hard shoulder.. :shrug:

he came over to the pass window and said ''i believe... yes, i can see you are not displaying your front number plate..'' (it was in the windscreen) :dry:

i proceeded to explain that ive just fitted a new mesh onto the bumper and removed the number plate so as to fit it to a holder when i get back to camp (for the MOT) :blush:

he said, i dont believe you as the sticker backs are dry so i will be issuing a fixed penalty notice.. £60 :headhurt:

ah well :console:

well i wont be taking it to court, (the army frowns upon us going to court.. days off and such :p )

so i guess i will just have to suck it up (cheers Sarnie :lol:;) )

really is just a bit of a bummer when saving for a new year romantic getaway :blush: ah well, she will need to go without a cocktail or two.. :p

tax, mot, 2 tyres and a fine all at the end of this month :thumbs: winner :lol:

A customer of mine is a traffic officer and we were discussing this the other day.

Apparently there is a bit of a crack down on number plates due to the olympics, security and all. :shrug:

Absolute crap. They spin this "its for security" line all the time like we havent got brains.

Of course criminals wanting to hide themselves will be doing things like removing their front number plates, mis spacing plates etc. Yeah sure... Thats what these criminals do to hide, all the stuff that gets you pulled over.....

Its to get the stats on crimes detected/resolved up and thats all. "Security" my left nut.

I ran about for about 12 months without a front number plate on the Roadster.

I had a sticky one on the bonnet as I kept changing my front bumper and when I fitted the carbon bonnet I "forgot" to fit a new sticky number plate.

It was only at MOT time that I was reminded that I required a front number plate. :surrender:

Guess it all depends where you live and how lucky/unlucky you are.

Alex. :)

A customer of mine is a traffic officer and we were discussing this the other day.

Apparently there is a bit of a crack down on number plates due to the olympics, security and all. :shrug:

Absolute crap. They spin this "its for security" line all the time like we havent got brains.

Of course criminals wanting to hide themselves will be doing things like removing their front number plates, mis spacing plates etc. Yeah sure... Thats what these criminals do to hide, all the stuff that gets you pulled over.....

Its to get the stats on crimes detected/resolved up and thats all. "Security" my left nut.

+1 any excuse for quick revenue. :rant:

Purely depends on how bored the copper is I think. My mate ran his car with no front plate and a mis-spaced rear plate for about 5 years without any problems at all. I think he now has a front plate but they are both mis-spaced. Again, no problems.

Also, a local chav I see every day for the last 2 years parked outside the local spar has a corsa with no front plate and the plate just stuck on his dash in the front window screen.

I guess in some areas the police are more tolerant of such petty offenses and would rather spend their time targeting real criminals.

at this point, he looked over at me looking at him.. and pulled out to overtake a truck, i checked my speed (again) and thought, Im cool.. he aint got sheeeet on me :doh:

he then followed me at 70ish for a mile or so and popped his blues on.. so i proceeded to pull over and stop on the hard shoulder.. :shrug:

he came over to the pass window and said ''i believe... yes, i can see you are not displaying your front number plate..'' (it was in the windscreen) :dry:

I think what the others have said about revenue collection is right as it sounds from your description that the first they had seen of your front end was when they went past with the blues and twos. I reckon they thought you had something to hide by being so brazen as to give them a look and thought as you had clocked them and had a fancy car we we will give him a tug to see what he must obviously be hiding. :shrug:

I got hit for exactly the same thing here, was carrying the plate in the car as it had literally just come back from the bodyshop. HE said that I could either be done for no front plate or not displaying tax ...... crime of the century that one when he knew the car was taxed as he had just checked ........ :dry:

I wonder what the wrong copper would make of these :lol:

IMAG1328.jpg

I've been followed by many a copper at all times of the day and never pulled, a mate who has them was pulled, the copper didn't take a blind bit of notice, just said "family from Germany is it?" haha.

One of my pet hates is when people take off their front number plate and stick it in the window although 9/10 it's boy racers doing it. He could have been a bit nicer and let you off though.

bit of an odd pet hate :wacko:

i mean, mine is MLH's as i do alot of motorway.. and another is people missing the toilet pan :p

each to their own i suppose ;)

The numberplate rules are clear to everyone on the DVLA website, and tbh they're also pretty fair to everyone too. If you want to break the law then by all means go ahead, but you really can't complain and whinge if you get done.

I used to run no front plate on the VXR and never got stopped, but you can bet your arse I wouldn't complain if I did. We all know the rules and they're easy enough to stick to. May be the copper that stopped the OP used to be lenient about plates until one day he saw the same scroat who he'd already given a warning to still running dodgy plates, and then thought sod it, what's the point when no-one listens? We'd all do the same in his shoes, it's human nature to get narked off when you've given people a fair chance.

The numberplate rules are clear to everyone on the DVLA website, and tbh they're also pretty fair to everyone too. If you want to break the law then by all means go ahead, but you really can't complain and whinge if you get done.

I used to run no front plate on the VXR and never got stopped, but you can bet your arse I wouldn't complain if I did. We all know the rules and they're easy enough to stick to. May be the copper that stopped the OP used to be lenient about plates until one day he saw the same scroat who he'd already given a warning to still running dodgy plates, and then thought sod it, what's the point when no-one listens? We'd all do the same in his shoes, it's human nature to get narked off when you've given people a fair chance.

I will remember in future, if i have something to say (in the brackets it says 'story' not 'rant') i will hold my tongue rather than post so that the people who are unsure on the law can gauge the risk they may be running rather than like me be under the impression that in the windscreen was a minor thing, and a warning rather than a straight fine...

complaining and whinging is not what the OP was about, it was just a recount of my experience in the Zed earlier that night, but thanks anyway :thumbs: