Would I be hated forever if...........

Ricey

I sold my soul to the devil, broke all of my own rules, reneged on my years of 'fake Porsche' and 'Cockster' comments and slung the Lancer for a Boxster?

The prices are mighty tempting now to the point where it could leave me with a couple of grand in my sky rocket if I sold the Lancer.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ask yourself this....for all the balance and poise. Road holding and that badge....can you see youself in "casual" trousers and a neat sweater.

My mums mate has one. Great car but he lives in the cotswolds, is retired and plays folk music...

You know what I think Roo with the first reply has hit the nail on the head...........if it didn't have a Porker badge I wouldn't even consider it which is a fundamental reason why I shouldn't buy one.

I can't find anything that really floats my boat but I've got to sling this diesel barge its doing my nut in having all the power in one nasty glob thats next to useful (coupled with having a meaty looking Lancer with what sounds like a tranny van engine)

Go and drive one, and then tell me they're not one of the best handling cars of modern times. Get past the badge and you'll find a stunning car.

I really don't get the whole badge thing, and I'm not just referring to Porsche. If the car is good and you like it, who gives a rat's ass what the badge is? You wouldn't stop buying steak if suddenly the only stuff you could get was Asda, even if the quality was more Waitrose would you? :shrug:

Go and drive one, and then tell me they're not one of the best handling cars of modern times. Get past the badge and you'll find a stunning car.

I really don't get the whole badge thing, and I'm not just referring to Porsche. If the car is good and you like it, who gives a rat's ass what the badge is? You wouldn't stop buying steak if suddenly the only stuff you could get was Asda, even if the quality was more Waitrose would you? :shrug:

Which is an excellent argument for getting one.

The problem is (and I don't mind admitting) I am part of the Top Gear generation where everything Clarkson said is ingrained into your psyche and ruins your perception of perfectly good cars.

I wouldn't be took concerned about the running costs because I generally only hold on to a car for 12 months anyway.........I just enjoy the experience of buying and driving new cars - I can be just as excited about getting a 2k car as a 15k car I've come to realise.

The Boxster just seems a car thats too well made and generally good to pass up on for the price they seem to be up for.

I'm guessing higher mileage isn't really an issue either given the engineering heritage (and length of time I will own it).

I wouldn't be took concerned about the running costs because I generally only hold on to a car for 12 months anyway.........I just enjoy the experience of buying and driving new cars - I can be just as excited about getting a 2k car as a 15k car I've come to realise.

Even more of a reason to try one, as if you're only going to be in it for a year then you don't really have anything to lose.

FWIW I used to be a Porsche snob as well until I drove 987 S 6 years ago and completely fell in love with the cars and the brand. One short test drive and I very quickly understood why people raved about Porsches. Ironically it was a very similar feeling I had when I drove a 350Z for the first time despite it being a Nissan.

:teeth:

They are incredibly pretty, they perform brilliantly, they are well built with a lovely interior, sound great, and they aren't quite as common as the Caymans (which is the real 'pretend 911'). Also, more people sleight the boxster for being a cheap Porsche and a feminine car etc etc. All the more reason to buy one and take the haters out for a spin to prove them wrong!

If I could, I'd buy one of the new Spyders in a heartbeat.

It was very close between a 986 S and a 350Z for me. The Z only edged it because I could get a younger one for less, it looked nicer in Blue, and for my hobbies I couldn't live with two little storage bins!

This is probably an opinion that will draw sharp intakes of breath for many but I'd take a Boxster over a Cayman anyday. I love the 911 but the looks of the cayman don't do it for me. The boxster is better proportioned, prettier and if you are driving a 'little' porsche then you might as well have the wind in your hair. They are a brilliant drive.

This is probably an opinion that will draw sharp intakes of breath for many but I'd take a Boxster over a Cayman anyday. I love the 911 but the looks of the cayman don't do it for me. The boxster is better proportioned, prettier and if you are driving a 'little' porsche then you might as well have the wind in your hair. They are a brilliant drive.

+1

If either car is a 'poor man's 911' then it's the cayman.

Yes it will cost more to service than a zed but as they are usually every two years/20,000 miles, it probably even's itself out, especially if you take it to an independant.

The only thing I don't like about them is that the rear looks like the front, and the front looks like the rear to me :blush:

I'd defo buy one :)

Most people who knock boxsters haven't driven one (including me, but I don't knock 'em) The current shape ones do look a lot better than the 996-era ones though.

Dr. AK prescribes a nice long test drive and a course of motor sport heritage pills!

I love the boxsters, nearly bought one from a friend of the family until he burst out laughing with the thought of me trying to fit into one. Never tried it out though as fell in love with the zed.

My only issue with boxsters is there are so many of them on the road. Victim of their own success I suppose. Loads at work and they just don't stand out, unlike the zed :teeth: maybe fancy a cayman as an upgrade eventually though as I can appreciate how good the car is technically.

Nearly got one for the better half but got a newer MR2 in the end.

They are getting common but IMO they are a good little car.

BTW I had a 911 and ii is in the handbook page 2 "Look down your nose upon the lowly Boxster driver!" :lol::lol:

If you like it drive it :drive1:thumbs: