Suzanne the LS3 6.2 V8! Caution very long build thread....

Wasso

That's good news mateðŸ‘

But 5" tail pipes are abit rice IMO. 4" will do the job and look good. Are you sure you don't want any muffing? It is going to be very very loud without🙀! You can get mufflers that donot reduce flow BTW.

Edited by GT4 Zed
  • Like 1

That's good news mate������

But 5" tail pipes are abit rice IMO. 4" will do the job and look good. Are you sure you don't want any muffing? It is going to be very very loud without������! You can get mufflers that donot reduce flow BTW.

What you basing that on Bennet?

I ask as 4" was picked after research - in fact 4" is considered border line too big for an N/A LS engine - apparently the performance drops of dramatically if the pipes are to big.

4" was used as it's as big as you can go N/A but is also fine for first stage SC.

This is because the engine was developed for the American market and has the CAT's and numerous silencers to keep it legal over there - this creates high back pressure that the designers took into account on the LS3 - This is just what we have been told by tuners and doing some research.

If we are wrong the Zorst has not been built yet so we can easily upgrade to 5" now for very little cost - Best get it right now ;)

Edit: Ignore me Bennet - they pointed out below you were referring to tail pipes not system bore size - Couple of old dustbins will do that bit of the job ;):lol:

Edited by Keyser
  • Like 1

But 5" tail pipes are abit rice IMO. 4" will do the job and look good. Are you sure you don't want any muffing? It is going to be very very loud without������! You can get mufflers that donot reduce flow BTW.

I ask as 4" was picked after research - in fact 4" is considered border line too big for an N/A LS engine - apparently the performance drops of dramatically if the pipes are to big.

4" was used as it's as big as you can go N/A but is also fine for first stage SC.

This is because the engine was developed for the American market and has the CAT's and numerous silencers to keep it legal over there - this creates high back pressure that the designers took into account on the LS3 - This is just what we have been told by tuners and doing some research.

If we are wrong the Zorst has not been built yet so we can easily upgrade to 5" now for very little cost - Best get it right now ;)

I think Bennett means tail pipe size not exhaust size ;)

4" is huge though! Mines only 3" :(

I believe it's 2.5" from the headers. 3" entire system, but discussing 4" or 5" for just the tailpipes.

Don't worry Bennett it won't be as loud as your "stealth" "no noise" supercharger :lol:

the sound can be adjusted, we are working on at least two mufflers at the back with a poss view of a single X box in the middle.

None of this flame spitting down the side Andy, no, just no. :dry:

To be fair if it's too loud then we can always make adjustments. The tail pipes even if they were 5" would be no bigger than the Audi RS4 or TTRS, in anycase the exhaust will have a custom look which no other zed will have :ninja:

• Like 1

That's good news mate👊
But 5" tail pipes are abit rice IMO. 4" will do the job and look good. Are you sure you don't want any muffing? It is going to be very very loud without🙀! You can get mufflers that donot reduce flow BTW.

Oh and Bennett I'm quite happy get regular amounts of muffing :lol::thumbs:

Funny you say that Dave, I was considering the actual pipes from a Corvette, but I just don't think it works with the Zed styling. I also have another plan for the exhaust, which will require a totally custom bumper, themed on the CS rear but better, much better!

That side of the project will be at the end, just want all the necessary "running" bits in place and working well before cosmetics.

Quad pipes would look and sound awesome, all that popping and burbling :cloud9:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yer Think I read that wrong first time - You only need 3 Wasso has a 6.3 - don't think you quite make that much displacement :lol:

I only picked up on it as we were discussing Zorst size/bore yesterday and thought we may have missed something :)

Funny you say that Dave, I was considering the actual pipes from a Corvette, but I just don't think it works with the Zed styling. I also have another plan for the exhaust, which will require a totally custom bumper, themed on the CS rear but better, much better!

That side of the project will be at the end, just want all the necessary "running" bits in place and working well before cosmetics.

Quad pipes would look and sound awesome, all that popping and burbling :cloud9:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Popping and burbling will happen with 2 or 4 pipes.

I don't think 4 pipes suits the zed though.

Yer Think I read that wrong first time - You only need 3 Wasso has a 6.3 - don't think you quite make that much displacement :lol:

I only picked up on it as we were discussing Zorst size/bore yesterday and thought we may have missed something :)

I know we missed out plans for a new bungalow :doh:

Yup 3" bore front to back. It's also a 6.2 Chris but if you want to add 0.1 every so often I'll be more than happy.

This is all a great read and project !!

What sort of bhp and ftlb will it be making when all mapped up ?

Crazy ftlb I would have thought!

Are you adding a LSD ?

Well stage one is get everything running and get a base dyno tune, incorporating improved headers and exhaust over that of the restrictive original 2.5" Corvette exhaust and full of cats and mufflers. I've also upgraded the Air Intake for the LS, allowing for huge volumes of air.

Stock is 436 bhp @ 5,900 RPM and 428 Ib-ft @ 4,600 RPM. The important factor even stock is that you get 300 Ib-ft of torque at 2,000 RPM which continuously increasing to 4,600 RPM

Whatever the first dyno delivers I'll be happy for anything above the stock figures. The benefit is that whacking a Air Intake on a LS3 over that of a Zed, you WILL be rewarding with positive gains.

Once the engine and car is done, she will go in for stage 2 CAMS, where I'm looking to reach anything above 500bhp and 470 Ib-ft of torque.

Once I'm thirsty for more power (I may be satisfied) then for the total cost of £7k a SC or Rear Mount turbo will go on. Regions of 650-700 are achievable. Anything above that and it's forging the engine time.

Already purchased a Kazz 1.5 way LSD :thumbs: glad you've enjoyed the read..... :) (I might read it one day lol)

• Like 5

This is all a great read and project !!

What sort of bhp and ftlb will it be making when all mapped up ?

Crazy ftlb I would have thought!

Are you adding a LSD ?

Well stage one is get everything running and get a base dyno tune, incorporating improved headers and exhaust over that of the restrictive original 2.5" Corvette exhaust and full of cats and mufflers. I've also upgraded the Air Intake for the LS, allowing for huge volumes of air.

Stock is 436 bhp @ 5,900 RPM and 428 Ib-ft @ 4,600 RPM. The important factor even stock is that you get 300 Ib-ft of torque at 2,000 RPM which continuously increasing to 4,600 RPM

Whatever the first dyno delivers I'll be happy for anything above the stock figures. The benefit is that whacking a Air Intake on a LS3 over that of a Zed, you WILL be rewarding with positive gains.

Once the engine and car is done, she will go in for stage 2 CAMS, where I'm looking to reach anything above 500bhp and 470 Ib-ft of torque.

Once I'm thirsty for more power (I may be satisfied) then for the total cost of £7k a SC or Rear Mount turbo will go on. Regions of 650-700 are achievable. Anything above that and it's forging the engine time.

Already purchased a Kazz 1.5 way LSD :thumbs: glad you've enjoyed the read..... :) (I might read it one day lol)

And it will sound like the devil doing a growl !!

Can't wait to see / hear it .

Have to agree 4 pipes don't look right on a zed imo.

Look forward to seeing what plans you have for this exhaust :thumbs:

Quads look great on a GTR, looks meatier and would suit a big engined V8 too that was my logic...

one man's meat is another man's poison. It is still a zed and not a Gtr though, guess that I am just used to seeing two pipes on the zed.