Suzanne the LS3 6.2 V8! Caution very long build thread....

Wasso

Bummer mate! All I can say is I feel your pain and was happy to be a small part of the humiliation of Phoenix. I really hope this comes together for you mate and Emerald sort things out for you. I presume you have told Phoenix to do one!!

Sent from my Zed using Nangkang tyres front, RE040's rear

Not yet, but will be doing so. Thing is they've spent some time at least making a mockup set of headers. I'll need to offer something in materials as I'm refusing to go back based on timeframe and incompetence (I do seem to find these sort of traders oh so well).

I'm sure that we will succeed it's just one of those headaches that turns into a migrane! :surrender:

Being positive and the support from Bob and Chris being petrol heads just makes the process less painful.

Oh and Darren - keep your phone handy, we may require your services fairly soon on the fuel side :wave::drunk::group:

Ahahahaha lots of people need my services but I have a mammoth task of getting my 240 ready before June :scare::surrender:

How could you?! Man that's just unacceptable putting yourself before others.

Don't worry I'm sure there's a guide out there.

@ Ian / Chris, I'm not an expert, but how safe is the solution for the propshaft bracket? We're talking about serious power here, if that fails, might cause serious damage to whoever is inside the car at that moment in my modest view. Worth adding some lateral reinforcement / support on it?

2015-05-03_11-26-24.jpeg

It's fine Adrian, if the fixings already on the prop were heavy duty, then yes. But they're not and as recommended by the prop guy who seriously knows his cheese, said a simple fixing will be perfectly fine. It's about 4mm thick the fixing point where as the actual arms on the prop are 2mm so we are actually over compensating. It won't move trust Chris.

• Like 1

I think I see where you are going but ......................

The guy that built and balanced the prop shaft actually said "there is no strain on the center joint" in fact they often balance them using only 2 zip ties to keep that joint steady.

Also you will notice the original carrier is made of a lot thinner metal than the bracket I made and if you swing on it the original starts to give way before the new brackets (I know I tried :lol: ) so if it does fail it won't be my bracket that gives.

When you say lateral support - given that it's a tube I assume you mean forwards and backwards as the new one is a solid mount at an angle it can not move up, down, left or right - you cannot support it forwards and back or at least it would be pointless given that like most prop shafts it has a slider which would simply slide all the way out if backwards force was applied, this is also true of a standard 350.

However I have the added bonus of not having to sit in the car so although I appreciate your concern I should be OK :p:lol:

• Like 1

You may jest Chris from what I'm about to say, but I implicitly trust your work. If there's something I'm not comfortable with you know I'll say. To be fair Chris has been fairly courteous, "Ian, okay to use the HAMMER" of course :lol:

• Like 1

:lol: Ha ha ha

How are we on the budget side, has the Phoenix failure increased it or we're still within the £16k?

It could bring the price in a bit. The exhaust and headers work was priced at £2,800 - so we are hopefully looking at a saving. But I'll not tempt the devil and wait for the fat lady to sing!

• Like 1

OK I'll let you off Ian - I know all too well this project management malarky can be more stressful than anything with just one 'party' fecking up the schedule, so good to hear you have got someone else on board to help get it completed :thumbs:

Cheers Colin, but to be fair if it wasn't for Chris and Bob with their knowledge of their locale, I'd be left in deep shite.

I'm one of the nature "never give up" until I'm of course totally defeated. Not one of these half hearted "give up" chaps. Took enough planning so I must finish even if it kills me.

2 months without mine hasn't been pleasant... I admire your patience!

Hope Emerald are more capable in sorting your requirements, the Shed boys just need to use the hammer more ;)

So after the lack of success we have had with the Zorst and the fact that we can get the stock headers in we just need to get from them to the back - so I thought I'd see what I could do :scare:

Bit of ply

S1050930_zpsdmjdoyja.jpg

A manifold

S1050931_zpssjjjgnhk.jpg

Soon had a flange made

S1050932_zpsy40n771d.jpg

Don't worry about it being wood - he will only notice when he starts the car - and that won't be any time soon :p:lol:

OK OK :sorry:

Used the template to make these -

S1050933_zpsmwochycz.jpg

I will soon be welding them onto this 2.5" (64mm) pipe I picked up today.

S1050936_zpscakjqnwu.jpg

Then I just have to bend/weld/beat/twist/swear/curse and get them to come out at the bottom of the Zed :thumbs:

in other news -

I dropped the power steering pipe off with the lads down at Thread and Pipe to have a custom high pressure hose made up from the LS PS pump to the OEM 350 rack - that should be ready for collection tomorrow :)

Got some oil and fuel rated hose ready for the low pressure side and picked up some rad hose for the heater matrix connections (I love shopping when its not my money :lol: )

Other than that we test fitted the Emerald loom which seems to be a good start, this will hopefully be going up to them to be modified for this later edition engine but first I needed to know what I had so I can work out what I need.

Starting here

S1050926_zpsegqatxhh.jpg

pulled it off the car and started to trace the wires but .............

S1050928_zpskpbmtbl5.jpg

O yes the good old changing colour wire routine :scare:

No worries just strip the lot

S1050927_zpsovrqcbdg.jpg

ended up looking like this

S1050929_zpshwxz5grf.jpg

But at least I know where every pin on the ECU starts and finishes - just need to trace and label the Aux and the relays now :)

That's all for now :thumbs:

Zed Shed Signing Off

• Like 3

OMG what have you done with my loom :scare::surrender:

:lol:

Trust, I'm sure there's trust somewhere in all of this.

Looking smart...... When will you take delivery of the "machine" :ninja: