Proud owner!

Hi there, I'm new to this forum, and new to 350Z's. (I was a long time Subaru Legacy GT twin turbo owner)

Last Thursday I bought a gorgeous, silver 2003 Fairlady Z. Not the youngest - but with (some might say suspiciously) low partially documented mileage. She's lovely. Gorgeous engine and brakes, no axle clunks, and the body so far seems perfectly straight.

Only shock so far was the insurance on a JDM 350Z. Gawd. Double the quote for a UK spec (which I was originally aiming for - but cars seemed to keep slipping through my fingers). Pants insurance companies!

And of course the driver's window motor is non responsive - I'll be using your guide to cleaning these later (or maybe when it doesn't look like raining).

These cars certainly have WOW (or should that be phwoar) factor. The Subaru, while quietly very competent in almost every way, never seemed to quite have that appeal (arrgh sacrilegious speak).

Cheers

ChrisB

Welcome from another ex-subaru owner (but still a fan of them). I had a classic and bugeye impreza, both running circa 330bhp and both went like a scalded cat. The zed is a different animal but it definitely an itch I wanted to scratch too. Enjoy your Zed! :thumbs:

Cheers guys, that was quick..

Here's me new girl. Standard Fairlady without mods. Only slightly suspect thing body-wise is a slightly wonky boot hatch. I don't think its anything worse than that - I can't find any wrinkles in any places that there shouldn't be wrinkles, so its just... a slightly wonky boot hatch. Everything else (window motor apart, and handbrake setting) seems spot on.

Getting new cars uh? Makes one very picky.

Engine - silky, Body - smooth, Gear box - finger tip, Stereo - loud, Brakes - epic, Tyres & exhaust- new looking and without holes, Wife jealous - priceless.

Very proud.

post-8300-135011905915_thumb.jpg

Mmmm, this may be a bit weird..

I have the Touring v.1 18x8JJ wheels (as can be seen in my pics earlier) but the car's been fitted with an unusual combination of tyres.

Rear Bridgestone RE040 245/45/18 96W (I hear people groan from looking at your extensive tyre review threads). Yes they are easy to make slip.

But weirdly:

Front Pirelli P-ZERO 245/45 ZR18. 8% wider than stock recommendation of 225.

I don't like anomalies. Manufacturers generally engineer for the best. As I remember from old, in RWD (used to have an Alfa GTV6 in the very late 80's) it's better to have slightly narrower gauge fronts for steering feel as well as grip balance.

Feels OK to drive around sedately, (ie I haven't crashed it yet). Maybe 8% is not enough to notice in normal use (I'm not a track person). And with the cost of tyres, its way to early to bin them.

Any comments?

But weirdly:

Front Pirelli P-ZERO 245/45 ZR18. 8% wider than stock recommendation of 225.

I don't like anomalies. Manufacturers generally engineer for the best. As I remember from old, in RWD (used to have an Alfa GTV6 in the very late 80's) it's better to have slightly narrower gauge fronts for steering feel as well as grip balance.

It's not so much the width, it's more important that the rolling radius is maintained so that the traction control doesn't throw a wobbler. A quick trip to the calculator gives a difference of 2.6% in the rolling radius, probably not enough to make any difference to the speedo and TC but it may alter the handling a bit.

Pete