Top gear = crap

sparky370z

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I loved it, seeing the Ghost was fantastic some of the things that Merc can do was amazing aswell. Never seen that Volvo before and the guest wasn't promoting something again.

I think some people like cars so assume they will enjoy Topgear. Seems odd that everyweek people watch it then slate it, I don't like soaps so I don't watch them.

Not keen on the Focus at all.

I watch it but only for entertainment purposes.

due to the way its recorded all the cars they review are allways at least 6-months old anyway.

I do think its funny, but sometimes it just looks like theyre trying to hard.

they will never take it back to hardcore reviewing as most of the audience dont really care about cars. they just find it funny.

if you want a entertaining sunday nighyt show, mildy orientated around cars then watch it.

if you want performance car reviews buy evo magazine

Haven't watched it for about 3 years now as they stopped doing anything that interested me. I enjoy watching the old ones on Dave, but the new entertainment-first format doesn't appeal to me in the slightest.

I genuinely don't miss it at all.

They have the latest and best cars + do very intersting reviews on them

This isnt exactly true. the cars they review have normally been covered im magazines and online reviews many months earlier. when they do the news and show the pics on the screen of upcoming cars, this is when they are actually out but you don't see them review it for at least another 6-months. for example. the Ferrari FF that they mentioned on the news on sunday is allready being reviewed by other sources. - this is my main critasism of the show but maybe is not as important to the typical top gear viewer.

i do like when they do a propper review though as they do a lot more down to earth everyday sort of person review that often picks up on things that the more hardcore driving enthusiast journos tend to miss.

as i said before. its Quite an entertaining show these days but for information about new cars its pretty dire. if they spead up the turnaround of cars coming out to them showing their review it would be much better. also they need to stop trying to be funny. the presenters are funny blokes but recently (eg clarksons iplayer buffering joke) i feel theyre trying to hard to be funny and it makes me want to switch off.

i think the arguement for people saying "if it annoys you dont watch it" doesnt really stand. there is only so much that reading a written review can give you. People want to see and hear the cars of their dreams being driven and i would have thought that one hour a week, for a few weeks a year is not so much to ask for those of us who are a bit nerdy about performance vehicles. :blush:

It used to be my favourite program but now they have lost the plot !

I bet that many fans are very dissapointed at the meaningless content that now seems to prevail. Whatever happened to car analysis ?

I have turned it off half way through the last two programmes.

Think they need to re invent themselves. The old model should qualify for the scrappage scheme.

MRT

Can't see TG surviving series after series..must have something to do with BBC budget cut

Very much doubt that, it makes the BBC a fortune in worldwide screening rights.

I actually caught the second half of TG tonight, much to my better judgement. It's still sh*te :thumbs:

clarksons comment tonight "dont ever buy a modified car" boiled my ****. aslong as it has been modified properly and safely and your happy with it then why not, its like saying dont buy a kit car as you might make as good of a job of making it as a factory. :angry:

I find the odd bit either interesting or funny but they seem to have got stuck a rut with a formula that worked when they first started. The formula means that they have backed themselves into a bit of a corner.

It must be hard to come up with something new (and it would be brave to go back what they would consider to the "old model").

Like many things maybe its now run its course.

The used BMW thing was just boring. They could have easily fit another couple of reviews in. it's not like theres a shortage of performance cars to review. i was hoping that they would do a review on the GT2RS at some point this series, as its been out for about the right amount of time that they take to reiview cars. lotus evora S, 570 superleggera? guess i'll just have to keep buying mags and immagine how they sound and look on the track. :bang:

clarksons comment tonight "dont ever buy a modified car" boiled my ****. aslong as it has been modified properly and safely and your happy with it then why not, its like saying dont buy a kit car as you might make as good of a job of making it as a factory. :angry:

Ignoring for the minute that Clarkson is a very good journo who knows which buttons to push for maximum exposure, he's probably correct on this one. Thinking it through:

Stiffer springs and shocks affect the ride quality for the worse

Lowering the car means more scrapes on the front bumper

Larger wheels add weight at the worst place and give a crashy ride

Better brakes are more likely to squeal and are not so good from cold

Exhaust and air filter are going to make the car noisier

Better stereo MAKES YOUR EARS BLEED WITH BASS

...and so on.

Technically from a generic POV 99% of mods make a car 'worse' as a daily driver, and it's only because we're enthusiasts who do it with a specific end goal in mind that we can put up with the compromises: To us, a bone stock car is the compromise, hence the need to modify.

I have to say I still love Top Gear. Yes, it is starting to become a bit of a lads mag programme, especially if you see some of the 'planted' good looking girls in the crowd they 'place' behind Clarkson :lol:

In this politically correct society though, think that their 'comments on air' could be their final undoing :byebye: