Nissan, Audi or Porsche

spursmaddave

Given that I may just be in the market for an upgrade mid 2011...

With no Nissan bias would you go for any or none of the following or suggest a suitable alternative...

It would not be my only car but would get a fair bit of use, at least 12k+ a year.

Nissan 370z

Audi TT RS

Porsche Cayman S

And yes I have seen the 5th Gear test which gave me the idea. I know the natural progression from a 350z would be a 370z but I don't look at it as different enough to get my juices flowing...

I am swaying towards the Porsche as owning one is another thing to tick off the to do list of the Male Manopause :thumbs:

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm with you on owning a Porsche, I'll be doing it at some point.

Big difference in cost for the three but I'd have a Cayman S personally or an older 997 for the same money. The TT's don't do it for me.

I love the colour of your 370 Phil, saw it at Megs, I guess if I hadn't popped my Zed cherry with the 350 I would go for a 370... I'm with you on the TT but the thing is although it may be boring to throw round a track I don't intend to do that so it would be comfortable, drivable in pretty much all conditions with the 4wd, safe, economical... maybe not the most dazzling choice but maybe the most sensible :surrender:

If I do change I'm 90% sure it will be for a Porsche though :teeth: maybe even a 911 :please:

For me it went something like this

370Z .......... at £35K .............. doesn't float my boat from an aesthetic point of view

GTR ........... at £50K ............... don't drive fast enough to do it justice

997 ........... at £35K ............... not sensationally different from a 350Z

DB9 ........... yep that'll do ....... I'll take it :thumbs:

did at some stage try to buy a TT RS but the dealer was not at all interested in having my money .... so I walked

They arent comparible in the slightest IMO, completely different price brackets. I couldnt justify the money for a new Cayman S, so decided on the 370z as a much better comprimise, especially at the price.

What price bracket are you actually looking at? For me, it'd be a new Cayman S out of that lot if money wasnt an issue but I'd rather have a nearly new 911 I think.

Another perspective on the TT - written by someone with whom I have high regard for in terms of objective assessments on car testing

http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/evocarr ... tt_rs.html

But I think if I had the money to afford a Cayman with similar spec to the 370, I would rather put it towards the best s/h 911 I could get.

Edit:

Evo's review in 2009 between the 370 and Cayman - not much in it - except for the price.

http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/cargrou ... 0z_gt.html

They arent comparible in the slightest IMO, completely different price brackets. I couldnt justify the money for a new Cayman S, so decided on the 370z as a much better comprimise, especially at the price.

What price bracket are you actually looking at? For me, it'd be a new Cayman S out of that lot if money wasnt an issue but I'd rather have a nearly new 911 I think.

I'm assuming that the constant variable will be the price, probably around £35kish I would have thought.

Naturally this will buy you different ages, mileages and specs for each car.

At this price or above, I'd be going Cayman S, even if it'll be a couple of years old compared to a new 370z.

If the budget is £30k or less then you could still get a nearly new 370z but the Caymans at this point become older and with higher mileage. At this price point or below I'd probably sway towards the 370z.

I'd never spend any kind of money like that on a TT.

Another perspective on the TT - written by someone with whom I have high regard for in terms of objective assessments on car testing

http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/evocarr ... tt_rs.html

EVO have a TTRS on their long term fleet and although their initial impressions weren't too positive, as shown in the article you linked to, the car appears to grow on them and for an everyday car it seems to be a very good car.

Having said that I'd also go for a second-hand 911.

Porsche for me as well - again I think I would rather push the boat out for a 911, whether that means get an older one or spending a bit more cash. Likewise I can see myself owning one at some point in my life.

Although personally think the 370z is a better looking car than the Cayman S

Porker seems to be the favourite.

As has been said test drives of each car needed.

I love my 370 that much I plan to keep and mod it barring some financial disasters, so give one a try you might be surprised and value for money there's no contest......but I'll own a Porsche as well with a bit of luck. :thumbs:

Plan to use the 370 as a track day toy in a couple of years.