BLACK ice!!!!!!! Bump!!!!!

Wasso

I've managed to calm down after 20hours of getting over the shock!

Last night on my way home I found some lovely black ice on a dual carriageway. The road changed camber and elevation which upset the rear wheels, lost traction and luckily the traction control stepped, although it was too late!! Counteracting the slide wasn't enough for the Zed to mount the kerb and see the entrance to the tunnel wall slap bang next to me on the passenger. The noise of grinding metal was painful, I managed to straighten her up without writing the car completely off. :byebye:

I manage to find a quiet road to inspect the damage! I looked round the car and found nothing had occurred to the bodywork apart from the nearside front bumper, although my RAYS are fooked!! I was going to get them reffurbed anyway but it's not the point. Strangley after my event the traction control light and slip gauge was continually lit, but after a switch off and back on all seems fine. Will be getting the car in the garage to check the alignments to make sure all is okay.

So a warning to all,just be careful even if the conditions look fine! I'll post pics once I get home on Monday.

sorry to hear that, but atleast its not a write off.

i was at work this morning while the heavy snow came, then got home, parked at the top of the hill so i could sweep my drive before i attempted to get on, and then returned to the car and it wouldnt move, so had to go home get the spade and dig it out, and it was a couple of inched of snow. just makes me think its easier to stay at home, than do a few hours of work.

hope you get it sorted soon.

Sorry to here this, it's all too offten an occurance during this type of weather. Remember that during the freezing weather different parts of roads have there little own eco systems where the sneeky black ice looms.

Dont take the Z out unless absolutely necessary. Get a shed for he price of a couple of tyres.

Thanks for your comments guys, really appreciated.

As Rothers says each bit of road is different. I was in the inside lane, no snow, and doing around 35mph. The car overtaking me didn't flinch but I still managed to find the ice. It surprised the he'll out of me but the worst part was the noise of metal grinding and the thought of the damage. Had the traction control been on, who knows what may have happened. It just means I now have a great excuse for new wheels and bumper ;)

A shed option is very much on the list now. I really don't want to hurt my girl! :console:

Sorry to hear this mate but glad your o.k. I needed to go out today and do all my xmas shopping so decided to take my work van. Lost it over a bridge going 5mph and all I could do was curb it or crash into 3 cars parked on the bend at the bottom! :doh: Everything is shite in these conditions! Hope you get it sorted o.k soon.

Thanks :thumbs: you're all a good bunch. Just all be carefully.

Sarah, I've got a pic but can't upload to photbucket for some reason so I'll have to wait till Mon. Journey down to Dorset was fine but not looking forward to the snow in Brum on my return.

Where abouts in Dorset are you staying mate. There is a bit of snow down here but not as far as up north

We're staying just outside Brixham, we come down about 4 times a year as our uncle owns a luxury lodge and we come for a chill out and views over the sea. Snow hasn't been too bad although the gritters are far and few between.

I can't wait for this bad weather to go, although I think winter tyres are def on the cards now.

Thanks again everyone a very suppritive forum helps to get over these unfortunate circumstances :thumbs: