Beyond the 370Z?

AK350Z

It'll end up going the way of the 8.......discontinued because its too expensive to run (as a new car - tax, company car braket ETC, fuel), too pricey to redevelop to be greener and once normal humans get over the initial OMG factor and cold hard running costs hit home, people start run for the nearest VW garage to bag up a nice sensible Diesel Golf, the demand drops off and just us oddbods are left snapping and enjoying the leftovers.

Lets face it.......people who actually appreciate good cars/engineering are in the minority........left to her own devices my missus would of bought an R plate Porsche Coxster or a 53 plate Chrysler Crossfire :doh:

The general consensus around the office when Carla told them she was getting a Zed was......why are you so excited? Its a Nissan. Philistines!

I ran an 8 for 4 years and you're so right, once the "wow" factor went for the ones that only saw a pretty motor, then reality bit. I do think, however that the Z range carries the confidence of having a conventional engine, rotaries are scary to the uneducated. This is why the residuals on the 350 are still pretty good, the 8 is suffering and they are becoming hard to sell, that coupled with the fuel consumption of a Ferrari is not good.

If Nissan make a new Z in a few years, I believe it will be similar in power and size, may well be a hybrid as a few custom marks, ie Lotus, are going down this road.

I heard the rumours about Merc and Diesel too, I hope they are not true. I think they will go hybrid though, its the only way. I can see Fezza and other supercars going that way too, they are actively researching and developing them. Still if that means a 400Z with a bit of leccy help, so be it :drive1

I dont think the 370z is any less succesful than the 350. If somones got an article or sales stats to proive me wrong be interested to see it.

AutoExpress reported a couple of weeks ago that Nissan has only sold 733 Zs so far this year = Less than 1,000 per year. From the MOT stats that were released a while back, Nissan UK sold every 350 it could get in 2004 (~2,000) plus there were loads being imported to meet demand.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpressnews/258745/plug_to_be_pulled_on_the_cube.html

It's already been widely reported that following the Renault-Daimler deal the next Z will use a Merc platform and/or engine:

http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle/AllCars/250112/

My guess would be a return of the 300ZX name ;) Although it'll effectively be the new Chrysler Crossfire :doh:

They'd probably be importing 370z's too if the exchange rate was as favourable now as a few years back. Import Zeds were far cheaper back then than ones off the forecourt. Given the hard times in the economy I dont think Nissan are doing badly, I know the black editions were flying out of the door. You cant compare year on year sales when one set were from when the economy was booming and one from now.

I do think we are slowly seeing the end of sports cars though :byebye:

I do think we are slowly seeing the end of sports cars though :byebye:

I don't think we are. I think we're seeing the end of affordable fossil power sports cars. People who buy porper sports cars (Porsche, Ferrari, Lambo etc) don't car about tax, ruinning costs etc so they'll be made for a while yet. Zed buyers, and RX-8 buyers etc will be put off by the tax increase, fuel prices etc and so they won't manufactor these thirsty V6 or rotary engined car.

I am a bit of a V enginge geek, I love V6s and V8s, but the more I read about the electric cars the more they excite me. Have a read up on the new Jag C-x75 (X-c75?). Over 1000 torque, and 800bhp, and one gear! Fecking hell.

They'll soon produce affordable (to manufacture) performance electric engines and we'll all be happy again :thumbs:

we'r ein that uncomfortable crossover phase between fossil fules being made obselete and alternative fuel taking over. electric cars are only temporary, you can;t get the mileage off them and they take to long to charge. the future will be hydrogen fuel cells.

Unfortunately as has been mentioned it's the running costs and that massive tax bill that have put many off buying the 370 an of course stigma of the Nissan badge( we know better!)

I really hope Nissan don't go with mercedez talk about bad to worse!

New crossfire? You mean new fiat? Before I sold my 300c, I read that Chrysler had decided to keep the same underpinnings for the next 10 years on all their cars but use Fiat engine tech to save on costs and share more parts etc . Think all

Manufacturers will be doing that in the future. There will always be a Market for sports cars but subject to running costs and the general feeling about the economy.

Personally I think the electric car concepts are a waste of time until battery technology improves. Give it 10 years then we should have something interesting to drive. :drive1

Hydrogens still years off, I think that in the mean time you'll see some pure battery vehicles for cities, and extended range cars for most other areas, i.e. a smaller battery unit attached to a small engine or turbine running at a near constant rpm just charging the battery. Low fuel consuption coupled with the benefits of electric motor torque.

Of course, given enough market forces and regulation (Euro emmisions rules etc), it's amazing how far piston engine fuel efficiency has come in the last 5-10 years. Direct injection, low pressure turbos, and lower friction materials.

for the mass buying public, the diesel engine is the current eco route high miles for low cost and low tax brackets, hybrid is great but out of the price range of most hence why its so limited at the mo. the more its used the cheaper it will get.

advantages of electric, very few mechanical parts; power is direct so acceleration is very rapid. only 1 gear.

a mix of electric and hydrogen wold give the best performance for us people. as well as some of these concept gas turbines like jag used in their concept.

Have a read up on the Jag X-C75 engine. As well as 60 mile trip on batteries (enough for most commutes?) it has 2 turbine engines and a diesel engine, so you get the best of all worlds. Massive power, battery power and Turbine/Diesel power as a backup.

Sounds like a good interim solution to me!

• 1 month later...