Electric Vehicles are coming

ATTAK Z

Even when comparing these two PETROL RS5s, the consensus was the engine noise and drama of the older 2013 model trumped all the comfort and performance improvements of the newer turbo model.

I wonder what the consensus would be between the 2013 and future electric RS5 version would be!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, HEADPHONES said:

Even when comparing these two PETROL RS5s, the consensus was the engine noise and drama of the older 2013 model trumped all the comfort and performance improvements of the newer turbo model.

I wonder what the consensus would be between the 2013 and future electric RS5 version would be!

This is what EV lacks. Oh yes they can put a fake sound making machine and I bet they will look at vibration generating devices to get that authentic petrol feel but it just won't be the same will it. :surrender:

On 14/11/2020 at 21:26, Ekona said:

Fast != fun. 

That is very true...

Out of all the stuff I own with lithium ion batteries this is the most fun for sure on B roads, infact I've done more miles on this this month than any other EV I own!!

50604609821_0600180eae_b.jpg

Ofcourse if you really want 'fun' in current road conditions, nothing comes close to this. 23mm 'slik' tyres pumped up to 100PSI+, wheel spin on demand, almost lost the FRONT end twice on a straight when trying to avoid pot holes due to lack of grip, and the brakes take a good few seconds to really bite when you need them.....add in near zero degree wind in the face, you need to be wide awake if you want to avoid ending up in a ditch or worse, love it :).

50575391288_df4fc132f2_b.jpg

• Haha 2

46 minutes ago, GranTurismoEra said:

I feel sorry for that couple but I just have to say I told you so. I think everyone on here at some point has mentioned what needs to happen to make this wonderful ev nirvana happen. Never mind (see what I did there? Ok so it's an age joke!):blink:

Bless them on the plus side they could listen to that Tron inspired fake sound whilst waiting. 

• 4 weeks later...
8 hours ago, GranTurismoEra said:

An Apple car? Oh ffs the range on that will be about 5 miles and it will no doubt go back to a 1980s inspired slab sided look, just like the phones! :lol: 

Move over Bentley your cars will be on the cheap isle compared to Apple. 

Why do these electronics companies think they can diversify into totally the other end of the scale? You don't see Hotpoint washing machines making cars do you? Mind you if they did the cars would really be on fire!! (see what I did there?)  Ok ignore the large Korean brands that do make white goods and cars. :D

apple.jpg

Well, it kinda makes sense. Apple are one of (if not the) the most desirable brands in the world, and they’re used to buying in knowledge when required. Their expertise always used to be software and the customer experience rather than hardware, so moving into EVs where it’s not about a beautiful engine or nuanced handling but rather more how simple and integrated the package is could work. 

That said, it’s a million miles off if ever. Potentially a better avenue for them would be to supply the software that drives the car, both literally and figuratively. Imagine an interface for the entertainment/drive modes with the elegant simplicity that Apple are known for: that would be worth looking at. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Ekona said:

Well, it kinda makes sense. Apple are one of (if not the) the most desirable brands in the world, and they’re used to buying in knowledge when required. Their expertise always used to be software and the customer experience rather than hardware, so moving into EVs where it’s not about a beautiful engine or nuanced handling but rather more how simple and integrated the package is could work. 

That said, it’s a million miles off if ever. Potentially a better avenue for them would be to supply the software that drives the car, both literally and figuratively. Imagine an interface for the entertainment/drive modes with the elegant simplicity that Apple are known for: that would be worth looking at. 

I have to agree, stick with what you are good at. Leave the car building to companies that have done it. Although sometimes a clean sheet approach can work but physics is physics. With over a 100 years of car development these companies know what they are doing.

Either way like Tesla I can't afford their prices.

Well Apples Steve Wozniak did a Datsun commercial once. So they could share battery tech with Nissan.

Okay thats reaching, they could always redesign the Leaf and make it look less prius.

Nows the time for Apple to capitalise on their market share and feed the fanboys. I'm guessing Sonys car will be cheaper than Apples

Pretty sure most ICE car makers were involved in aviation or heavy metal industries at some point - not too far fetched to say software companies could be involved with "SMART" cars. 

Heck I'd trust Apple and Google to make a better autonomous car than Jaguar or Bentley. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Umster said:

Pretty sure most ICE car makers were involved in aviation or heavy metal industries at some point - not too far fetched to say software companies could be involved with "SMART" cars. 

Heck I'd trust Apple and Google to make a better autonomous car than Jaguar or Bentley. 

I read Hyundai were building ships and LG current build smart homes and apartment blocks in Korea. Sony have outsourced their car to another company to build then theyll do the rest. Honda makes private jets.

They did from 4 years ago. Honda Jet only has a 1400 mile range and seats 6 people. Theyre like 4.5 million I think. Diversifying in this uncertain climate is a good idea

Apple and Sony are just a few im sure many more non automotive companies wish to build an EV

Edited by GranTurismoEra

• 8 months later...

EQ range is going a bit mad. Only that most people cant afford it. 

The used car market will only appreciate and anyone in that business will still be making money post 2030. Thats because little jimmy who lives in the sticks needs something to get him from A to B for under 5 grand.

Wana know what the used EV market looks like. Its more like renting a battery paying monthly then buying a maintenance pack unless you can find an independent shop. Or you can buy replacement batteries for a couple of grand and hope for the best out of warranty with other components.

The conversion companies are still charging upwards of 10k to convert your ICE or hybrid. Even the hyped up convert for 2k has a catch. 

For me to convert my CRZ to full EV will not be cheap. Also youd want a battery and drivetrain that offers a minimum power, decent 200 mile plus range and realistic Torque so youre not regretting the change. Thats going to cost a much newer car.

• 9 months later...