Mars next stop :)

gangzoom

4 hours ago, davey_83 said:

Anyone with a powerful zoom lens can see ships don't tip forward over a curved horizon........ 

1) a ship is in a fluid so it would be rather hard for it to tip over something that is level, the horizon/curvature of the earth is infinite there is no sudden change 

2) you must realise how vast the distance is of the horizon that a ship is so small in scale it couldn't tip forward, 

Is this how you see the planet when people talk about it being a sphere?
 Related image

Edited by StevoD
  • Like 1

Space X is really making good use of their recovered booster stages. 4 more launches scheduled for April. That would be 11 launches in 2018 in 4 months. If they keep this up soon they'll run out of satellites to send up!!!

Cannot be long before viable human commerical launches start, watched Gravity again last night space looks really scary and horrific, but seeing the planet from lower orbit would be the ultimate bucket list tick box.

https://www.kennedyspacecenter.com/launches-and-events/events-calendar?categories=Rocket Launches

Yes going up and seeing the world from that angle would be amazing, clearly would end up being for the privileged few though in our lifetimes. 

I wonder at what point satellites become to the sea what plastic is to the ocean :lol:;) 

15 hours ago, StevoD said:

1) a ship is in a fluid so it would be rather hard for it to tip over something that is level, the horizon/curvature of the earth is infinite there is no sudden change 

Exactly level, were are told the Sea's and Oceans Curve at a set rate. There's not no sudden change, there is no change due to a curve.

Yes but it's not flat view from a point of it travelling away over the supposed curve. The fact that ships would sailed out of view would have been one of the key scientific pieces of evidence for a globe hundreds of years ago.

Today ships that's go over the 'curve' and out of eye sight, can be zoomed staright back into view. Logically you would not be able to do this, had it actually gone over a curve.

So to recap, we accept images from the ISS are composites from multiple pictures of the earth due to its relative orbit with earth.

However the initial live feed from Star man just as impressive are actual real footage of the earth in real time? How is this possible?.......

@davey_83

Your posts are completely unintelligible (to me at least) ... it might help if you read back your posts before hitting the button and fill in the missing words and punctuation

just sayin' :)

Edited by ATTAK Z
  • Thanks 1

They will never tilt as the angle of the curve is so slight given the scale to see a ship tilt at a fraction of a degree with the naked eye is well, just not viable. If you are viewing the ship sailing away from a height of say 6 feet you wont see it go 'over' a curve more sail away and gradually go below the horizon. 

You say like its proven ships can be zoomed back in as if its a given but I have seen stuff online like you have that disproves it as often as its been 'proven' so that is far from conclusive. Height vs distance makes a massive difference to what you can see, pretty much all videos I looked at which showed high buildings in the distance across water expanse shows part of the building missing and no level of zooming could 'bring it back' as it simply is out of view.

The images you see of starman are impressive at the level you see them at i.e. on the screen. The imagery you see on the composite images from Nasa as they are then stitched and then reduced in size for your screen will look on par, the key bit is if you got the nasa original imagery and zoomed in vs starman the clarity of detail would be better. Of course in space there is no air, and as such there is no atmosphere to filter the light passing through it - so you get very clear images in any case. Flat earthers would say that the clarity of image proves it is fake, when in fact by design taking a photo in space with modern equipment makes it easier to get a clear photo. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, davey_83 said:

Yes but it's not flat view from a point of it travelling away over the supposed curve. The fact that ships would sailed out of view would have been one of the key scientific pieces of evidence for a globe hundreds of years ago.

Today ships that's go over the 'curve' and out of eye sight, can be zoomed staright back into view. Logically you would not be able to do this, had it actually gone over a curve.

So to recap, we accept images from the ISS are composites from multiple pictures of the earth due to its relative orbit with earth.

However the initial live feed from Star man just as impressive are actual real footage of the earth in real time? How is this possible?.......

So your saying if I say the nut on too and lied on the floor with my head against the wheel and a camera I would be able to zoom the nut into view?

I've read the topic from the start and I still don't really know what we are arguing about discussing, so to make it clear where I am I'll make the following points and Davey can then come back with his counter arguments.

1) The Earth on which we live is a globe, very nearly spherical in shape

2) The radius of the globe is approximately 6371 kilometres

3) A plumb line will always indicate the direction to the centre of the earth due to gravity

4) A level line is a line at 90 degrees to a plumb line at any point on the Earth and as a result, a level line follows the curvature of the Earth

5) Water at any point on the Earth will always settle level and therefore follow the curvature of the Earth (not taking into account wind, waves and tides)

6) Simple geometry allows calculation of other parameters, such as the distance to the horizon from a point on or above the Earth's surface

7) Jonathon Ross and Jo Brand are not funny

8) Ekona is a driving God

(Well maybe not the last one, but he knows what he's talking about when it comes to Porsches and tyres) ;)

Edited by ATTAK Z
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

It seems you are asking us to answer a lot of questions to justify a belief in round earth so I guess its only fair we throw a few back? ;)  Feels like we are getting hung up on YT videos of ships.

1. How do you account for gravity and what evidence do you have on how it works?

2. How do we see lunar eclipses where the earth is between the moon and the sun if they both orbit in a circular motion above the earth?

3. There are 2500 satellites in space put there by a multitude of nations over a number of decades involving tens of thousands of people, are they all 'in on it'? 

4. You can buy decent enough telescopes yourself and observe the moon and with some expensive equipment other planets which you can observe rotating, why would it be that our planet is completely different to everything else observed?

Gangzoom trying to get us back on track :lol:

I can't believe we're still debating flat earth. We're going over the same points over and again. 

The mast/ship IS at a different angle to ourselves when on the horizon to ourselves, but because of the scale of this planet and the fact it tilts away from us it isn't measurable with eye or lense. If you fly none stop in one direction, you WILL end up back where you started. Why would our planet be flat but the moon sun and other planets are all spheres? The ISS can be seen zooming over head at night, so it's up there. Time zones, magnetic north pole, gravity... the list is endless. 

1 hour ago, ATTAK Z said:

8) Ekona is a driving God

See, I'm okay with this one ;)

Truth is, flat earth opens up far more questions than it ever answers. Davey has his beliefs that are very much rooted in what humans used to believe in hundreds of years ago back when we thought we could treat all illnesses with leeches, and most of those thoughts based in just that: Belief. There's zero evidence to support a lot of what he believes to be true, yet he still chooses to do so. I can't have a serious and genuine intellectual conversation with someone who thinks like that, and whilst I admire a lot of you (especially Col and Stevo) for carrying this thread on with reasoned debate, ultimately you're on a hiding to nothing.

Davey, as I've said before you're a lovely guy and anything non-religious and non-scientific then I'm happy to treat you like a brother, but on this I have to take a step back for the sake of everyone. My posts on here of late have become flippant simply due to the fact I find your replies/questions obtuse and misleading, and whilst I'm certainly open to the idea of questioning everything sometimes a blinkered response caused by religious beliefs closes your mind off to what could actually be the truth. I respect that you have different beliefs to me, but whereas I can accept that new ideas may well cause me to give second thought to previously upheld truths (so let's use the Higg's Boson or even Hawking's ideas), I very much doubt that anything anyone in the world will ever say to you could change your spiritual beliefs to the point where you question them. But that's okay. We don't all have to think the same, and whilst it would be very easy of me to make a ridiculously sarcastic comment here I choose not to, out of respect.

What I will say is that I genuinely hope and believe that one day all of mankind will open their minds to what is in front of them, and not look back to the past for guidance. Ironically the sooner we question everything (and I mean everything), the quicker we can all move on and look to the future.

Edited by Ekona
  • Like 2

Perhaps - and this really is reaching - the reason why you can see a ship over the "curve" of the earth could be due to gravity. Gravity can bend light. Our eyes make sense of light by translating it into images. So, maybe we can see a ship over the horizon due to the phenomenon of gravity pulling/bending light and projecting an image of an object that isn't actually in eye-shot physically, but what we can see is a  frequency of light that is being bent by the gravity of the earth. Taa daaaaaa!!!! 

Nobel prize please

• Like 2

Yes its been a good thread, ideas from both sides are thought provoking and interesting at least. It'll always be of course easier to debate for a globe that a flat earth, how could the earth possibly be flat and the public simply not know? Literally impossible and makes no sense for government to hide the shape of the earth and for what reason?

5) Water at any point on the Earth will always settle level and therefore follow the curvature of the Earth

The above statement for example, I will always struggle with as we told water is always curving at a rate of 8inches per mile squared so there's that.

Sorry @ATTAK Z when trying to reply on my Moto G5, I quickly loose the will to live when trying to edit text boooooo.

Sorry if Ive missed it but when you look into Operation Fishbowl and highjump, it does nothing to settle the mind that government acts in our best interest. Again the Antarctica peace treaty is proof governments can and do work together for a common goal. End of the war, Highjump 46', Antarctica peace treaty 57' NASA founded 58' Fishbowl 62' moon landing 69'. The whole era after WWII was incredible strange from what I gather and possibly part of something much greater.

Edited by davey_83

19 minutes ago, davey_83 said:

The above statement for example, I will always struggle with as we told water is always curving at a rate of 8inches per mile squared so there's that.

Can water stay in a glass even when you turn it upside down? It can when you hold it and spin it fast enough. Can water stay in a glass upside down with just a piece of card under it and no one holding the card, again it can. Amazing what natural forces can do to water when you think about it ;)

• coldel locked this topic