Mars next stop :)

gangzoom

1 hour ago, davey_83 said:

5) Water at any point on the Earth will always settle level and therefore follow the curvature of the Earth

The above statement for example, I will always struggle with as we told water is always curving at a rate of 8inches per mile squared so there's that. 

Then try thinking about 5) in conjunction with 4)

13 hours ago, ATTAK Z said:

4) A level line is a line at 90 degrees to a plumb line at any point on the Earth and as a result, a level line follows the curvature of the Earth

The following diagram illustrates the difference between a horizontal line, a line of sight, and a level line - you will note that a level line follows the curvature of the Earth

slide_16.jpg

• Like 2

Is the flerfer just Trolling? I hope so.  The whole flat earth conspiracy is utterly ludicrous.  I work at Edinburgh University, I know a LOT of scientists, there is absolutely NO way they could be persuaded to keep quiet about the supposed flerf.  

Just because you are too stupid to understand a concept doesn't make it a conspiracy.  

11 minutes ago, Infamous88 said:

Is the flerfer just Trolling? I hope so.  The whole flat earth conspiracy is utterly ludicrous.  

You'll have to read the whole thread to decide if anyone is trolling ... it's quite a good read anyway

• Like 1

Aye I tried to read it but they drive me daft, I spend a fair bit of time debating with them on Facebook.  I really struggle to not lose my temper with them.  They make nasa almost impossible to follow unless you go on a blocking spree. 

A photo has popped up on my Facebook of Concorde flying at mach 2 taken by a Tornado over tyre Irish sea. Check out that wonderful horizon. Oh and the stunning Concorde too. 

FB_IMG_1522043593538.jpg

Edited by Jay84
  • Like 2

It was inevitable there would be an accident - the location of wheels and engine was a design fault.

There was one at Brooklands a year or so ago, you could go for a look around it, was very cool getting on board and taking a seat! 

I've been on the prototype at Duxford. Like all things built to go fast, comfort was not very high on the list. I agree there was always going to be an accident, and I also think in this day and age the speed of crossing the ocean is no longer needed, passenger capacity and comfort are the winners. Industry video chats make face to face business meetings redundant. 

Just saw this over lunch. FE guy builds his own rocket to see if the Earth is flat.

Cost him $20,000+ to get up to 1,875ft. Why not spend a few $100 on a plane ticket to get the extra 30,000ft!

bonkers.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/trevornace/2018/03/27/flat-earth-rocket-man-finally-blasts-off-in-homemade-rocket-to-prove-earth-is-flat/#7c41073f9b6f

Edited by mattross1313

Fair play the chap had a go - he could have booked a flight but remember commercial aircraft have curved plastic windows to fool you into thinking the earth is round so not to be trusted ;)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, coldel said:

Fair play the chap had a go - he could have booked a flight but remember commercial aircraft have curved plastic windows to fool you into thinking the earth is round so not to be trusted ;)

They haven't got to you too have they!? :lol: 

• Like 1

I've been thinking about the curved window thing, and I openly admit I don't know enough about light refraction, but surely the window curves in line with the fuselage, meaning it wouldn't make the horizon look curved. Also, when on the ground the horizon would look curved at that point too. 

4 hours ago, coldel said:

It is more cleverer than that. “They” have gone to the extent of curving the Earth just to fool everyone!

Edited by ilogikal1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Difficult to answer. In theory it's believed to be expanding, so as long as that expansion continues yes it is. But something about the laws of entropy suggest it'll eventually start to reverse as contact growth is unsustainable. 

However I got that from Bill Bailey and a Muse song so not the most reasoned answer. 

• coldel locked this topic