The time has come...

butter

So, it's time...

First off, hi all. New to the forum.

Today I got a glorious e-mail from my insurer blessing me with 3 years no claims which means one thing, it's 350z time. The idea popped into my head around December that I could justify insuring, running & buying a 350z as I don't have to drive to and from work now with a work van so with that being said, my car was sold.

My question is, what should I be looking out for when buying? I'm currently in the market and I've read all the 'buyers guides' but all seem very generic which is helpful for the common issues but I'm wanting to know the individual things you guys and girls had encountered when buying your car. Any small things you noticed that might effect reliability or any issues you had once purchased that had to be taken care of.

Sorry to be the newbie to post the topic but any and all help I'm grateful for, just want to get an idea of what sort of issues people encountered if any during the few first months of ownership.

Cheers all,

Ash

Oil pressure sensor inop, I'm my case the gauge read of the scale with ignition on. Sub woofer cutting out and OE Bose headunit skips CD's. Leaking rocker cover gaskets, checking previous service invoices and cost of spark plugs is a good indication of how it was looked after. If the plugs are cheap, it's more than likely corners may have been cut along the way also.

Ideally you want matching tyres all round and a decent name also gives an idea of how it's been looked after. Along with the above posts, the rest of issues are general wear and tear or clutch, brakes, exhaust, tyres and battery.

Edited by davey_83
  • Like 1

Oil pressure sensor inop, I'm my case the gauge read of the scale with ignition on. Sub woofer cutting out and OE Bose headunit skips CD's. Leaking rocker cover gaskets, checking previous service invoices and cost of spark plugs is a good indication of how it was looked after. If the plugs are cheap, it's more than likely corners may have been cut along the way also.

Ideally you want matching tyres all round and a decent name also gives an idea of how it's been looked after. Along with the above posts, the rest of issues are general wear and tear or clutch, brakes, exhaust, tyres and battery.

Oh yeah, forgot the CD skipping, usually thats fresh in my mind saturday as its Zed to work day lol

Welcome. I've heard of issues with the cooling fan motors not working. Turn the AC on and the cooling fans will engage if working correctly. That's my titbit

Cooling fans, clicky rear axle, knocking suspension (banana arm), blowing exhaust, failing window motors.

premium fuel, oil use

and

:welcome: to our club

Welcome along. Watch out for rust on the rear arches of the early models, seems to be creeping in now.

:welcome:

Think most stuff has been covered, but also arch rust and crunchy gearbox.

Oh yeah, forgot the CD skipping, usually thats fresh in my mind saturday as its Zed to work day lol

Thanks for the advise all, really appreciate it & will definitely keep all in mind. Have been browsing the forum for a while looking at multiple build threads so hopefully, very soon, I'll get my own on the go. Everyone seems like a nice bunch of chaps, already happened to come across someone with a Chargespeed bright orange 350z in my local area who's on the forum - cool stuff!

Just a bit of general info in case you might not have known (ignore me if you did!)... there are 3 versions of the 350z: DE, Rev-up and HR. Some of the more knowledgeable on the forum may be able to tell you all of the differences but there are pros and cons with all. Pre 06 means £295 road tax instead of £515, but later models have slightly more power and nicer interior trim (in brief).

I'm only 19, so my budget swayed me towards a slightly earlier '54 DE (owned by a 58 year old enthusiast who spent a fair bit on it), but in my opinion history of the vehicle and condition is more important than which type!

Good luck with the hunt :thumbs:

• Like 1

there are 3 versions of the 350z: DE, Rev-up and HR. Some of the more knowledgeable on the forum may be able to tell you all of the differences but there are pros and cons with all. Pre 06 means £295 road tax instead of £515, but later models have slightly more power and nicer interior trim (in brief).

Pretty much covers it.

DE

276hp

02 - 06

GT4

7k redline

Same trim as DE, but new rev-up engine (and presumably ECU)

Ltd edition and relatively expensive

DE Rev-Up

296hp

7k redline

06-07

Facelift (front bumper / interior / lights)

More ECU memory allowing more remap customisation

HR

313hp

7k redline

07+

Facelift (same as Rev-up, but different bonnet to accommodate new engine inc new dipstick position and dual intakes)

ECU as Rev-up

Few more important mechanical updates as well (better gearbox etc)

HR is your best bet if the budget can stretch to it.

Edited by Strudul

Rust rust rust, keep an eye out for it. I picked up my 08 HR a few weeks ago which was immaculate but even that has one or two small specs here and there. To be honest the age they are unless it's been kept in a box it's whole life there's bound to be the odd bit here and there.

Don't know why they moved the dipstick, it was fine where it was :blush:

not sure what the DE is like but the HR is soooooooo pants! It's impossible to read it while it boinging round all over the place, stupid flimsy thing!

not sure what the DE is like but the HR is soooooooo pants! It's impossible to read it while it boinging round all over the place, stupid flimsy thing!

It's tucked round to the side. Not as easy to access and replace as the HR, but not as hard as everyone makes out unless you're doing it in the dark. :lol:

Pretty sure dipsticks are always thin and floppy.

Don't know why they moved the dipstick, it was fine where it was :blush:

We've got it quite easy with the HR dips tick, the DE's are awful!

If you try reading it while not in gale force winds, you should be okay! ;)

Just a bit of general info in case you might not have known (ignore me if you did!)... there are 3 versions of the 350z: DE, Rev-up and HR. Some of the more knowledgeable on the forum may be able to tell you all of the differences but there are pros and cons with all. Pre 06 means £295 road tax instead of £515, but later models have slightly more power and nicer interior trim (in brief).

I'm only 19, so my budget swayed me towards a slightly earlier '54 DE (owned by a 58 year old enthusiast who spent a fair bit on it), but in my opinion history of the vehicle and condition is more important than which type!

Yeah, 20 here and just got 3 years NCB. Insurance wise isn't much different between DE/HR models it's just the tax. It all comes down to the right price at the moment. It seems to be roughly £1200-1300 for the year on insurance and prices seem to be fairly wild. I've seen what look like clean 60k mile cars for 5k and then 150k mile cars go for 7k. Confusing as hell

Yeah, 20 here and just got 3 years NCB. Insurance wise isn't much different between DE/HR models it's just the tax. It all comes down to the right price at the moment. It seems to be roughly £1200-1300 for the year on insurance and prices seem to be fairly wild. I've seen what look like clean 60k mile cars for 5k and then 150k mile cars go for 7k. Confusing as hell

I've got 2 years no claims and my renewal is £1500, but oh well have to pay for the privilege of driving something like a Z!

It's difficult just a waiting game, just like buying any car, I'd also say to look for one with some tasteful mods as you'll almost definitely want to modify it! We call it zeditus, it's contagious...

Check out a few cars near to you just to get an idea of what they're like, I would definitely recommend getting a GT for the rays alloys, bigger brembo brakes, LSD, heated leather, cruise control etc.

Just for a comparison: I picked mine up with 67k on the clock for £6800, paid quite a bit but the car is mint and had quite a few tasteful mods and wants for nothing!

I've got 2 years no claims and my renewal is £1500, but oh well have to pay for the privilege of driving something like a Z!

It's difficult just a waiting game, just like buying any car, I'd also say to look for one with some tasteful mods as you'll almost definitely want to modify it! We call it zeditus, it's contagious...

Check out a few cars near to you just to get an idea of what they're like, I would definitely recommend getting a GT for the rays alloys, bigger brembo brakes, LSD, heated leather, cruise control etc.

Just for a comparison: I picked mine up with 67k on the clock for £6800, paid quite a bit but the car is mint and had quite a few tasteful mods and wants for nothing!

I've already got a list of what I want doing to it and I haven't even got the car ha-ha! I'd have to get the GT pack, I quite like the look of the leather & rays although they'll most likely be swapped for something dished almost immediately. Damn fast & furious has had me obsessed with this car for years.

I've already got a list of what I want doing to it and I haven't even got the car ha-ha! I'd have to get the GT pack, I quite like the look of the leather & rays although they'll most likely be swapped for something dished almost immediately. Damn fast & furious has had me obsessed with this car for years.

Just like me then :lol: I will say if you buy one with mods, you will save yourself a lot of money! Unless you want the project yourself then go for it! ;) good luck with the search and make sure you post when you get hold of one!

Welcome to the forum!

DE

276hp

02 - 06

GT4

7k redline

Same trim as DE, but new rev-up engine (and presumably ECU)

Ltd edition and relatively expensive

DE Rev-Up

296hp

7k redline

06-07

Facelift (front bumper / interior / lights)

More ECU memory allowing more remap customisation

HR

313hp

7k redline

07+

Facelift (same as Rev-up, but different bonnet to accommodate new engine inc new dipstick position and dual intakes)

ECU as Rev-up

Few more important mechanical updates as well (better gearbox etc)

HR is your best bet if the budget can stretch to it.

Good summary here, one tiny orrection is HR redline is 7.5k not 7k.

The other thing to check if your budget streches to a HR is whether the oil gallery gaskets have been replaced, plenty of topics on here that go in to more detail on it (its a c.£800 job to fix)