Prices dropping on these cars

Jords

3000GT and 300ZX are definitely worthy, particularly the 3000GT, what a car, but I put them in the previous era, the Supra only gets in because of its legendary status and tunability overriding the fact that techically its also a previous gen car. The NSX is exotic, not fair.

On a side note, it was a mate with a 3000GT that first opened my eyes to imports, wicked, wicked car. :)

3000GT and 300ZX were spectacularly heavy and complicated, awful things to work on and (whisper it) not actually that good to drive.

Subaru > Mitsi any day. History will tell of the Evo being the quicker car, but the Subaru was the one that stole hearts.

• Like 1

The same can be said for Hondas DC5. It was a toss up between a DC5, an M3 or a 350z when I was looking and well here we are. As much as I loved Hondas, I just couldn't justify 7-10 grand for a front wheel drive 2.0L NA thats had its prices pumped because of the "scene", which funnily enough I was there at the beginning when mimms was at a servicr station!

I have noticed a droo but then maybe I paid a little too much? I paid £5800 for mine a year ago with FNSH and 62K on the clock, im second owner. One thing thats worrying me slightly is the affordability of these, I can already see the barely post pubescent teens armed with topknots eyeing them up with daddys money. Then itll all go to @*!#, Hondas are a prime example.

• Like 2

Ah I saw an old 2 door Type R scoob recently and it was brutal!!

Never knew what all the fuss was about with these classic imprezas but I can see that now. The bloke was driving like a nob really (standard for scoob drivers), but the way it got around the roundabout was insane, never saw a car corner so fast. By the time I had got around the roundabout he was literally gone.

I caught up later and the sound of the thing was insane, huge pops and bangs, probably running some sort of anti lag. Spoke to the dude and he claimed it was running 550 ish BHP. Can well believe it too. Made my 320BHP ST look like a toy car.

Safe too say I was on pistonheads that night :lol:

Subaru > Mitsi any day. History will tell of the Evo being the quicker car, but the Subaru was the one that stole hearts.

Bollocks. :p

The Scoob was the archetype of the clit car, still is to some extent. The Evo was driven by more classy individuals, those who had a true appreciation of dynamics. And 3000 mile service intervals.

I jest a bit but there were a lot more Scoobs and Evos and thats reduced its value in my eyes. Great cars but given the choice Id go for the Mitsi :)

• Like 2

What?! Evos were driven by people with no taste who just wanted an angry looking car that went the fastest. Subaru owners wanted a car that sounded as well as it drove :p

In fairness, in the hey day of the rally reps there were so many more Scoobs that they became utter chav jokes, and the owner's clubs were full of people dressed head to toe in the rally gear. Evo owners never really went down that route, which at the time was a much better place to be. Nowadays I think a stickered up Impreza in the proper rally trim looks immense, and the clubs seemed to have shaken off the chavness and you're seeing a more passionate support than the Evo gets. Proper 180deg change.

Back in the day I'd have picked an Evo over the Impreza (nearly did, until Mitsi cancelled a test drive and I drove a 911 instead, boy was than an expensive day in the end!) but nowadays I'm very happy with the gentler nature of the Sti over the Evo. And the 10k service intervals :lol:

In fairness, in the hey day of the rally reps there were so many more Scoobs that they became utter chav jokes, and the owner's clubs were full of people dressed head to toe in the rally gear.

Back in the day at shows we used to wander onto the Scoob OC stand and ask if they had seen our mate. "Hes got a blue Impreza with gold wheels, hes wearing a Subaru jacket and cap" :lol: :lol: :lol:

Edited by docwra
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

I've seen a few early imports for around 3k recently. Usually chaved up dogs but it's still a lot of car for the money!

There's still a few gems to be found on the earlier models and imports. Tends to be the bodywork that suffers rather than engines.

Some of you care way too much what others think hahahaha.

Silliness aside, I just wanted to contribute two things:

- top knot teens buying with daddy's money: short term might mean the rep of the car goes to @*!#, longer term it means lots of write offs, lots of cars being parted out, and fewer on the road. We're not talking about Focus ST's that you see everywhere here, we're talking about the Z, which is a rare format (2 seats, big NA motor, Japanese reliability) that How Many Left claims has only 5000 examples remaining on British roads and falling. Let some teenagers write some off, let some motors die of old age, hydrolock, lose oil pressure, and die of detonation from being run on 95 unleaded; make our cars rarer!

- I paid £6300 for my 88k RevUp (2007) 2 years ago (almost to the day). Since I bought it, the unavoidable expenses have been tyres (Fk453's x4, £400), brakes all round (brembo, about £300 for 4 discs and 8 pads), and most recently the clutch and flywheel (£900 fitted), so I've got £7900 in my car - and I know it inside and out, so if I were buying it now, it would be the equivalent of buying from a trustworthy dealer with a warranty, haha. It happens that I've also put Tein suspension, a Cobra system and a Takeda intake, but if I'd bought a car in tip top shape I'd have had to pay for those anyway.

There's currently a very very similar car to mine in its current state on AutoTrader for £6200.

I'm pretty happy with that. Particularly as I would have likely had to have done brakes and tyres on any car I'd owned two years.

Fuel was a tasty £1.50 a litre when I bought mine though, and I bought before we had our annual random late spring heatwave, so people weren't really in the mood for sports coupes.

I think prices have bottomed out.

Edited by Rook
  • Like 1

I've seen a few early imports for around 3k recently. Usually chaved up dogs but it's still a lot of car for the money!

There's still a few gems to be found on the earlier models and imports. Tends to be the bodywork that suffers rather than engines.

Mine's a little gem!!

Nearly a million 350Zs have been manufactured I believe, so it's never going to be a classic

Nothing like a million actually, somewhere around 300k I believe. In any case, production numbers don't equate to cars becoming classics for example 6 million minis were made and millions of Morris Minors and VW Beetles (both terrible cars BTW) and yet they have become classics. Even cars that were an absolute disaster have become classics, the Ford Edsel is a good example of this.

Pete

• Like 2

People are starting to use zed's as drift machines, it's happening on this forum. This is good news long term for those with tidy unabused examples. Have you seem the prices for non drifted 200sxs? Hopefully something similar with zed's

• Like 1

People are starting to use zed's as drift machines, it's happening on this forum. This is good news long term for those with tidy unabused examples. Have you seem the prices for non drifted 200sxs? Hopefully something similar with zed's

And rare beast in standard/undrifted condition.

• Like 1

And rare beast in standard/undrifted condition.

A 350z that hasn't been modified in any type of way will be worth loads . Never seen one as of yet