New Civic Type-R

Ekona

It is a bit of a mess. Just seems fussy and already riced. The triple exhausts and red piping everywhere is hideous. The thing is, a few years ago, all the hot hatches looked really boring and like every day shopping cars like the Megane 250, Clio 200, Civic FN2, Seat Leon, Golf GTi etc. Now they are going extreme the other way and going totally overboard with big wings, vents, scoops etc.

I do like this a lot and 0 - 60 in ubder 4 seconds.

Renault_Zoe_e_sport_004-L.jpg

• Like 1

Christ, that Civic really looks like the designer was happy with it ten steps prior but every time they took it to the boss he showed it to his 10 year old for approval.

"Nope, needs more vents and exhaust pipes"

"But...sir..."

"What Timmy wants, Timmy gets."

• Like 3

Good point. Still, that's who Honda themselves target.

Still, with all these fast hatchbacks out now is it even possible to buy a bad one? I mean, the CTR looks like a dog's dinner but it'll drive fine, and then you've still got the Leon CR and the Megane RS and the two sensible 4WD in the FRS and Golf, and not even forgetting the big boys with the A45 & M140 & S3/RS3. Great time to be a fan of fast hatches :thumbs:

Yeah, the civic has lost it's way a bit a think it terms of design. It's gone from the grocery-go-getter-granny mobile to 14 year old's wet dream with more angles than a dodecagon. And that triple exhaust :yuck: it's not a tossing LFA.

Edited by Rock_Steady

I'm all for moving the game on with hot hatches but all the power on tap now is getting silly. If I was forced to buy one with my own money at my age it would be a warm hatch like a fiesta st IMHO a perfect all rounder and plenty fast enough for me.

Ah that'll be the one then, not the R. That makes more sense now, stupid Golfs and their billionty special editions :lol:

That was the one we saw at goodwood, looked completely average, except it's stripped out interior and semi-slicks :lol:

This new civic is trying too damn hard!! The ek9 was great, the ep3 was good, the fn2 was the same engine just a different body... But the new type r is not all its supposed to be. The type r was always understated, simple and yet brilliantly engineered and able to nip at the heels of cars that should have wiped the floor with a civic. The new one is not like that at all. Didn't they pit the newer type r against the equivalent focus and the focus whooped it in every aspect, including the price????

and apart from anything else, it has all that fancy technology in it, and more power yet its only marginally quicker 0-60 than a 2003 DE!!

I'd bet once passed 60 it would wipe the floor with it.

what the Zed or the CTR?

and apart from anything else, it has all that fancy technology in it, and more power yet its only marginally quicker 0-60 than a 2003 DE!!

what the Zed or the CTR?

the CTR. Once into 3rd gear and got traction it would sail past a 350 with ease.

The Type R always was supposed to be a road going race car. Raw and stripped out but compliant to legislation to keep it road legal. The EK9 and DC2 were certainly these things and the DC5 and EP3 were also in most cases, certainly the DC5 is more track focused and raw than an EP3 that has electronic steering and less feedback. The FN2 onwards has lost a lot of what a Type R is all about and become heavier, less involving, more gadgets, more creature comforts and is easier to live with daily.

I would love to see Honda make a true sports car, based around an S2000 to compete with the Lotus Elise/Exige. Keep it simple, fairly stripped out, great handling, Brembo brakes, lightweight with 250 - 300 bhp RWD and stick a Type R badge on it and it would be awesome.

• Like 3

what the Zed or the CTR?

the CTR. Once into 3rd gear and got traction it would sail past a 350 with ease.

Absolutely the zed wouldn't see which way the CTR went , they are a match for a supercharged 370z as Nissanman312 found out in his old car , they are properly quick.

Comparing cars on 0-60 works well in Top Trumps but is not a useful guide in real world performance

Look at how it compared on the ring back in 2015, this new one is meant to be even quicker

7:50 2016 Honda Civic Type R

7:50 BMW M3 CSL

7:50 2009 Porsche 911 Carerra S

7:52 Lamborghini Gallardo LP 560-4

7:54 Mercedes CLK DTM AMG

7:54 Nissan GT-R

7:54 997 Porsche 911 Turbo

7:54 (.36) Renault Megane RS 275

7:55 Caterham R500 Superlight

7:55 Ferrari F430 F1

7:56 C5 Corvette Z06

7:56 996 generation Porsche 911 Turbo

7:56 Porsche Panamera Turbo

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2015/03/10-sports-cars-the-civic-type-r-beat-around-the-n

Not a cat in hell's chance the CTR that did that time was remotely standard. IIRC it was caged, stripped and on Cup2s, as well as being a pre-production special.

Not saying it's not quick and that engineering hasn't come on in leaps and bounds, but on no planet would it be quicker than a GT-R. And looking at those times, why is a 997 C2S quicker than a 997 Turbo? By four seconds? Even assuming PDK to manual, that doesn't remove the extra 100bhp+ and 4WD of the Turbo. Nope, I'm calling shenanigans.

Much like the shenanigans of the Huracan doing a 6'50" the other week.

• Like 2

Just read that article and some of the shouty comments after it - the awesome but nearly as fugly GT-R35 in re-test is supposed to be nearly a half a MINUTE faster

Good performance effort Honda though.. would be a nice car without the body kit.

:lol::drive1

what the Zed or the CTR?

Absolutely the zed wouldn't see which way the CTR went , they are a match for a supercharged 370z as Nissanman312 found out in his old car , they are properly quick.

Comparing cars on 0-60 works well in Top Trumps but is not a useful guide in real world performance

Look at how it compared on the ring back in 2015, this new one is meant to be even quicker

http://www.autoguide...at-around-the-n

And i would have every single one of the those below the Type R before the Type R and there area few Porsches in there and i really dont like them.

Thought the GTR was 7.24?

what the Zed or the CTR?

http://www.autoguide...at-around-the-n

And i would have every single one of the those below the Type R before the Type R and there area few Porsches in there and i really dont like them.

Thought the GTR was 7.24?

Its an article from 2015 remember,

I suspect there is ALWAYS shenanigans when it comes to ring times, but i have little doubt this new one will be significantly quicker

'ring times is another subject of constant amusement to me.

I challenge any driver to go to the ring 10 days in a row, in the same car, do 5 laps on each day, then check them all at the end, and have all 50 lap times within 5 seconds of each other. That's what you would need to be able to do to be able to say that you are consistent enough WITH THAT CAR to post an 'official' lap time for that vehicle, under the average track circumstances over the ten days. Times intended to directly compete with that, would then have to be posted under the same standards of consistency.

Having an itchy left testicle will affect your lap time over the course of an 8 minute lap. Posted ring times are just propaganda and utterly meaningless, just the best run their best driver managed to get with the strongest example of the model they could find during the course of their stay at the 'ring. Going on the hottest day of the year will net you 10 seconds on semi slicks, it's completely crazy the variation on an 8 minute lap.

• Like 3

I would suspect that because the ring is effectively a road and as close to our normal daily driving conditions I.e its not a lovely smooth short race circuit, it offers a benchmark of simulated road performance/pace and general abilities, long straights, very fast sweeping corners, tight corners with all the lumps and bumps and everything in between. Whilst the times set down may be slightly spurious with regards to complete accuracy, I would very much doubt you could look through the times and hand on heart tell me that a slower timed car is actually quicker than some of the cars above it. It paints a picture, just a slight blurry one, a lot like dynos ;)

I would very much doubt you could look through the times and hand on heart tell me that a slower timed car is actually quicker than some of the cars above it. It paints a picture, just a slight blurry one, a lot like dynos ;)

I am absolutely saying that I think a very large number are not in the appropriate order. :) And once again, I'm blaming the length of the lap and the variation of surface/driver/prevailing track conditions. The Top Gear test track is a MUCH better meter of which cars are faster, as the times are all made by the same driver on a short lap so much less scope for variation, plus the TG test track is also rough, a good approximation of real road surfaces. The main problem with TG is that they don't care if it's wet or dry, so there's no consistency on that front, but under more controlled conditions, it would make for better comparisons than the Green Hell. Short laps introduce new variables of course, for example, did they warm up the tires, how much fuel are they carrying, but overall, much less scope for variation.

Edited by Aashenfox

I would very much doubt you could look through the times and hand on heart tell me that a slower timed car is actually quicker than some of the cars above it. It paints a picture, just a slight blurry one, a lot like dynos ;)

I am absolutely saying that I think a very large number are not in the appropriate order. :) And once again, I'm blaming the length of the lap and the variation of surface/driver/prevailing track conditions. The Top Gear test track is a MUCH better meter of which cars are faster, as the times are all made by the same driver on a short lap so much less scope for variation, plus the TG test track is also rough, a good approximation of real road surfaces. The main problem with TG is that they don't care if it's wet or dry, so there's no consistency on that front, but under more controlled conditions, it would make for better comparisons than the Green Hell. Short laps introduce new variables of course, for example, did they warm up the tires, how much fuel are they carrying, but overall, much less scope for variation.

tg track is a flat smooth circuit, no lumps or bumps, no real off camber corners, it bears about as much resemblance to the real world as driving around on the grass, 350z and rx8 are exactly the same time, on general roads the 350z is a quicker car, it would only be on real twisty roads where the rx8 held any advantage. Track and roads are very very different animals.

Hand on heart, a 997.1 Turbo is significantly quicker than a 997.2 C2S.

That's not blurry, that's crystal clear :lol:

Hand on heart, a 997.1 Turbo is significantly quicker than a 997.2 C2S.

That's not blurry, that's crystal clear :lol:

I thought the c2s was the daddy of handling over a lardy turbo?

Id be surprised if a GTR is slower than a CSL as well.

M3 CSL? The gtr has so many times, as low as 7.19 so takes your choice on that.