Top Gear (s24)

Strudul

• 2 weeks later...

Dunno, I found the DB11 vs Merc bit kinda cringey and the police chase really wasn't my cup of tea.

Muck spreader seemed pointless too, wasn't particularly entertaining. Matt's obsession with "diggers" etc is lost on me too.

Golf at the Ring didn't really make sense either. Not sure how staged it was, but we all know that you have to let a faster car past on a track day, and that often slower cars with good drivers overtake faster cars for a multitude of reasons. Plus it seemed too focused on Rory and Sabine screaming rather than anything else.

Edited by Strudul
  • Like 1

Dunno, I found the DB11 vs Merc bit kinda cringey and the police chase really wasn't my cup of tea.

Muck spreader seemed pointless too, wasn't particularly entertaining. Matt's obsession with "diggers" etc is lost on me too.

Golf at the Ring didn't really make sense either. Not sure how staged it was, but we all know that you have to let a faster car past on a track day, and that often slower cars with good drivers overtake faster cars for a multitude of reasons. Plus it seemed too focused on Rory and Sabine screaming rather than anything else.

Agree, last weeks episode was pants IMO, Gladly this weeks was a big improvement,

• Like 1

Meh, call me childish, but I'm starting to like MLB, he's starting to be himself. I also liked the muck spreader bit, I had no idea those things could shred a car!! Sabine was awwesome, but yeh, a little too much screaming Rory (pun intended). In fact, can we swap Rory for someone else after all? Too fake...

Agree, last weeks episode was pants IMO, Gladly this weeks was a big improvement,

Disagree ... tonight's episode was nowhere near as good as last week's

Sorry Hugh I agree with Strudul and Russ. ;)

Tonight's episode was great imo and last weeks only meh.

Loved the race between the small city cars and that Bugatti is incredible. :scare::)

Yeah this week's felt like the most cohesive episode so far. When MLB was waiting for CH in Oman was the highlight... with the 'stuck in 2nd gear' line!

Rory is okay... happy to give him more of a chance. It's CH's terrible acting which is my biggest annoyance.

I'd go as far to say that I enjoyed this weeks TG more than any of TGT episodes, which actually got quite good towards the end of the series.

I've watched almost everything that Chris Harris has done on the internet and I do think he's struggling a bit with the studio stuff. You have to remember though, that he isn't a TV personality and this is only his 4th episode as a main host. I'm sure he'll become more natural over time. TGT guys struggled with the first episodes and they've all been doing it for years.

Overall, very positive with the new TG and the dynamic between presenters. :)

Edited by Paddy78

Just watched the trailer on page 1, since I gave up with last series very early on I had no intention of watching this one. However the shots of the cars look really good, just can't get past the presenters on TG, irritating to watch and listen to.

Willing to give it another go after seeing so many positive reviews on here!

Just watched the trailer on page 1, since I gave up with last series very early on I had no intention of watching this one. However the shots of the cars look really good, just can't get past the presenters on TG, irritating to watch and listen to.

Willing to give it another go after seeing so many positive reviews on here!

Everyone's tastes are different, but I'd suggest that if you don't like watching Chris Harris or Rory, then you don't like motoring journalism. Go on youtube and search for Chris Harris on Cars. If you don't like those, you'll never like him. For me, I think they both have a very good balance between driving knowledge / skill, understanding of cars and entertainment. Not easy to do, but when you see some of the bland, turgid, dirge on youtube that call themselves journalists, you really start to appreciate when someone does it well. Chris and Rory do in my opinion.

• Like 1

Totally agree with above comments from Paddy and thought the last episode was up there with the best Top Gear has ever done, be that Woolard, Goffey, Needell, Wilson, Jason fatbloke, VBH, Mason, the 3 amigos or the Chris Evans series.

Pacman could have been better but was original and raised a smile, the race was good, Tinie was sooooo much better than previous guests (although they could have asked about his cars a bit more) and the Chiron bit couldnt have been done bettr by anyone else than Harris and the TG production team - beautifully shot, beautifully driven, just fantastic motoring journalism. :thumbs:

If it keeps improving like this the next series will be the best thing on TV, full stop.

Agreed it was excellent and the presenters seemed to be enjoying themselves, even at the end with the beer joke it didn't feel as staged as it might have done last series. Chiron parts were amazing, what a machine, and the noise! Seems they are also drilling out a role for Rory to be in the slower cars...without calling him captain slow.

• Like 1

Saw the episode with the golf and the db11 last night and have to say I really enjoyed it. Miles better than the last episode which I watched. The hosts seemed much more relaxed and worked together much better than I saw previously. When they talked it all seemed to flow naturally and didnt come accross awkward like they were following a script. The muck shredder bit seemed a little odd on a car show, but I thought it was great and a good laugh. Cant wait to watch the next episode.

Yeah, I thought they got a bit self indulgent on the buggy bit too - while Sabine can obviously pedal I dont see what the fascination with her is really. Ford GT bit was great, and a celeb that can actually drive in the car, amazing!