Is it worth "upgrading" to the 370z

secretstar07979

Often wonder why people dont just get stuck in with the test drives and then buy the car they like best - IIRC before I bought my 135i I drove 370Z, RS4, Focus RS, IS-F, M3, XFR, every single N54/55 engined BMW out there, Cayman, 997, 996, Golf GTi ........... the list goes on.

As well as getting the right car for you, you can also bore everyone to death when they mention a new car as you have already driven them all :lol:

What made you buy a 135 out of that bunch of cars ?

Not sure who you have been speaking to but its very far from the truth, Ferrari will sell to anyone who has the money, why wouldnt they, (unless its ltd edition low numbers i.e Enzo etc), they even bent over backwards to try and get the best price on a trade in with a mate on his Bentley Supersport, i was with him, they literally couldnt have been more helpful ;)

Random people on the internet :lol:

Ah that will be the bunch who have rocked up in a sub 10k or 20k car looking to "buy" a 458 for example :lol:

Funny you should say that considering the majority of millionaires supposedly drive cheap cars. The ones who drive around in fancy cars can often barely afford them (if at all).

Source: The internet. ;)

Edited by Strudul

Ah that will be the bunch who have rocked up in a sub 10k or 20k car looking to "buy" a 458 for example :lol:

I usually turn up in my battered 306 just for the lols, they dont even look twice.

The best story I know on that one is a guy that got asked to move away from a helicopter display at a show I was at a while back as it was for "potential buyers" only. He later spent just under $12m on 2 aircraft with another company exhibiting there :lol:

Often wonder why people dont just get stuck in with the test drives and then buy the car they like best - IIRC before I bought my 135i I drove 370Z, RS4, Focus RS, IS-F, M3, XFR, every single N54/55 engined BMW out there, Cayman, 997, 996, Golf GTi ........... the list goes on.

As well as getting the right car for you, you can also bore everyone to death when they mention a new car as you have already driven them all :lol:

I enjoy this question :lol:

997 I just didnt like, it felt nervous on the road and I didnt like the interior much either. Weird as I really like the 996 but was a bit scared of maintenance costs (I was looking at a turbo).

RS4 (and S4 for that matter) didnt handle great and felt heavy, Focus RS I liked but was a bit barry compared to the others as was the Golf, even an R32 or R isnt going to stand up against a Porsche. Evos were considered but 3K service interval is no good for a daily.

IS-F I couldnt find one I liked in budget, XFR in a few years time I reckon, and the E92 M3 is a great car but not when you compare it to a modified 135i, the performance is all at the top end and its noticeably bigger and heavier.

Which leaves the other Beemers and the Cayman. I actually went to buy a Cayman from a dude on here but (fortunately) he had to go out somewhere so I didnt actually get to him, they are excellent cars ......... but dont have anything like the performance of a remapped N54/N55, Ive actually gone off the look of the 987 now as well ......... although Im seriously looking at a 981 as my nest car, they are sublime. The 370, when up against the BMW's and Cayman feels a generation older and while interior is nice and the Nismo looks gorgeous I actually preferred my 350Z for the drive.

And of the Beemers? 335/435 too soft and heavy, 135i hatchback not pretty enough (although the latest 2 doors are actually pretty sweet looking), 1M amazing car but I would have had fear using it on track. M235i I came very, very close to putting a deposit on but it was brand new and I didnt fancy the depreciation hit.

So I bought an N54 E82. The handling has been sorted (E92 M3 arms, struts, diff, ARB's) and with the remap its similar performance to a 997 Tuebo (my cousin has one). Its actually a very pretty car but quite understated, and 560 lb/ft from 2500 rpm never gets boring, Ive had it just over 2 years and it still makes me giggle every time I mash the loud pedal, it literally embarrasses XFR's and M3's and had no trouble p[acing 991 GT3's at spa the other day.

Business is good at the moment and Ive got a test drive lined up in the Giulia QV, Ill prob try and M2 soon as well but I will really struggle to sell the 1er as it fits what I want so well, tempted to make it a bit more track focused to try and justify keeping it. If you can get over the "everyone has one" comments then its a very, very difficult car to look past IMO :)

• Like 1

Funny you should say that considering the majority of millionaires supposedly drive cheap cars. The ones who drive around in fancy cars can often barely afford them (if at all).

When I moved to Paris I used to pop down the Auld Alliance pub to watch the footy on my own. Went to watch an England match and ended up sat next to an old English guy (about 65 years old) and we got chatting, turns out he lived on Ile Saint Louis also in Paris so we had something in common as well as football. Anyway, become drinking and football watching buddies. He flew Easyjet back to England etc. Only found out from a friend visiting him that he was an insurance/finance guy and sold his own business for £198m a couple of years before :scare:

Anyway back on topic with Ferrari, they are not all that bad from my experience (clearly not of buying!) but when I organised a club trip to Ferrari in Egham they welcomed us in knowing none of us were in the price bracket, laid us up cakes and drinks, the regional marketing manager popped in to say hi etc. We spent an hour sitting in cars taking photos like a bunch of sugared up school kids :lol:

Ferrari in Egham

Which is where i went with my mate when he bought his, very accommodating to be fair, but he was spending £185k with them :)

Edited by Jetpilot

I enjoy this question :lol:

997 I just didnt like, it felt nervous on the road and I didnt like the interior much either. Weird as I really like the 996 but was a bit scared of maintenance costs (I was looking at a turbo).

RS4 (and S4 for that matter) didnt handle great and felt heavy, Focus RS I liked but was a bit barry compared to the others as was the Golf, even an R32 or R isnt going to stand up against a Porsche. Evos were considered but 3K service interval is no good for a daily.

IS-F I couldnt find one I liked in budget, XFR in a few years time I reckon, and the E92 M3 is a great car but not when you compare it to a modified 135i, the performance is all at the top end and its noticeably bigger and heavier.

Which leaves the other Beemers and the Cayman. I actually went to buy a Cayman from a dude on here but (fortunately) he had to go out somewhere so I didnt actually get to him, they are excellent cars ......... but dont have anything like the performance of a remapped N54/N55, Ive actually gone off the look of the 987 now as well ......... although Im seriously looking at a 981 as my nest car, they are sublime. The 370, when up against the BMW's and Cayman feels a generation older and while interior is nice and the Nismo looks gorgeous I actually preferred my 350Z for the drive.

And of the Beemers? 335/435 too soft and heavy, 135i hatchback not pretty enough (although the latest 2 doors are actually pretty sweet looking), 1M amazing car but I would have had fear using it on track. M235i I came very, very close to putting a deposit on but it was brand new and I didnt fancy the depreciation hit.

So I bought an N54 E82. The handling has been sorted (E92 M3 arms, struts, diff, ARB's) and with the remap its similar performance to a 997 Tuebo (my cousin has one). Its actually a very pretty car but quite understated, and 560 lb/ft from 2500 rpm never gets boring, Ive had it just over 2 years and it still makes me giggle every time I mash the loud pedal, it literally embarrasses XFR's and M3's and had no trouble p[acing 991 GT3's at spa the other day.

Business is good at the moment and Ive got a test drive lined up in the Giulia QV, Ill prob try and M2 soon as well but I will really struggle to sell the 1er as it fits what I want so well, tempted to make it a bit more track focused to try and justify keeping it. If you can get over the "everyone has one" comments then its a very, very difficult car to look past IMO :)

You tried the rag top?

'Tis true though. I love a good ragtop, but as soon as you lob the roof off the drive suffers.

It's much better now than it used to be, mind you. Something like the 458 is near enough impossible to tell any difference between the two variants.

You really need multiple vehicles - no one vehicle does everything.

Mondeo is probably the best car you'll ever buy. There is a reason they ban them from banger racing! Massive boot, get the dogs in, tow the trailer, 50+mpg and parts are stupid cheap (new rear hub, bearing with ABS sensor - £40 :o)

Lotus 7 replica with S2000 engine - If you have never driven a Seven type car do so. Everything else is pretty crap afterwards short of going down the Formula Ford/F3 car route and they don't let them on trackdays very often. I have thrown a lot of money at mine and had to redesign part of the chassis to deal with longitudinal torque reaction and to install a new differential from an RX8. 240bhp, 570kg (a real wet figure, not the flight of fancy numbers you often see quoted), RWD, no roof, no doors, no brake servo, no PAS, no driver aids of any kind. The chassis mine is based on is a Roadrunner Racing SR2. I'd suggest a Westfield Mega S2000!! Avoid anything with a Type 9 box. People rave about them cos the're lightweight. They're sh1t, break and mine had a £2k Quaife straight cut gearset in it.

For true thrills and straightline performance, get a bike. You can't understand how amazing they are until you have a go on one. You also won't understand how limited your observational skills are until you ride one too!

Which leaves the 350Z. I looked at the 370Z, and the interior is a nice place to be. This is a big deal as it's where you spend your time and what you have to look at. Pragmatism wins the day though and I didn't see why the 370 was twice the price of the 350. I actually prefer the exterior look of the 350Z too. Again, that is my preference and your mileage may vary ;)

The 350Z fits the bill of being a good cruiser (I have a 500 mile round trip to do next week), can do the odd trackday/Nurburgring trip, makes a nice noise, won't suffer much from depreciation, and wears 18" rather than 19" wheels meaning cheaper tyres. Being the facelift HR the interior is good enough and the engine a guddun. Chasing my mates E92 M3, it doesn't lose out that much in terms of straight line performance and it can overtake flotsum and jetsum with ease.

A few people mentioning BMWs and they are a brilliant machine. The engine is great! My mate has a 2014 M135i and it's a great place to be plus has surging performance. Practical too. Definitely not worth getting the premium M cars over the likes of the M140/240i etc.

Edited by Rocket_Rabbit
  • Like 1

Ragtop nearly anything IMO isnt as good to drive as the hardtop version, so although I dont know which car youre referring too, probably not :lol:

Sorry, should of said, meant the E82.

I've always kind of thought of them as a quasi practical, quick drop top.

You really need multiple vehicles - no one vehicle does everything.

I tried using a Saab 9000 for work once (much better than a Mondeo) ....... I lasted about a week as what had been a reasonably enjoyable drive turned into a slow and boring one :lol:

Im not saying they are the be all and end all but the E8* and F2* with the bigger engines and fast Golfs are as close to a single car that does everything I can think of:

5 seats with big boot or hatchback with 2, 3 or 5 doors, as standard they will do 40+ mpg easily and even with 997T performance can still see 30+ mpg. They are fun for a thrash, great on a run, have excellent cabin and build quality and are good enough to embarrass a lot of stuff on track, the Golfs are bulletproof and later 1 series are pretty reliable too.

When you can get all of that for under £15K and not worry about depreciation thats a difficult argument to beat - even servicing isnt too bad if you take it to an Indy. No doubt someone will say "mehh, but they all look the same" but realistically nearly anything with 4 seats and a boot looks the same as everything else anyway.

Ive always said that BMW are the place to look if you only need one car - 330d touring and 535d touring are just magnificent family cars, and the M550d I drove a little while ago was the definition of executive express but still returned 35mpg at Autobahn speeds. I used to describe the the E46 M3 4 door as the best single car purchase anywhere and the B58 engine 1 and 2 series are moving the game on again, standard cars are actually showing better power and torque figures than M2's ........ :o

Im sure there are other cars that can be all things to all men, the days of having to have a family car, a commuting hack and a weekend car are long gone IMO :)

Edited by docwra
  • Like 1

I'd argue a Macan could be all the car you'd ever need. Decent engine, plenty of space for the young 'uns, it's got the badge, good view out for the women folk who like to sit a little higher, 4WD, and it genuinely feels like a hot hatch when driving it.

But otherwise yeah, I'd go 3 series Touring all the way.

I'd argue a Macan could be all the car you'd ever need. Decent engine, plenty of space for the young 'uns, it's got the badge, good view out for the women folk who like to sit a little higher, 4WD, and it genuinely feels like a hot hatch when driving it.

But otherwise yeah, I'd go 3 series Touring all the way.

Macan over a Panamera?

Dont know where my post went but a Macan is £45K, at that money theres a few cars that do the job, even possibly a GTR.

But most people dont have £45K to spend ;)

£ for £ to go quick, spend the money on an Evo 8/9 and be done.

I had an Evo 8, it was a good laugh but @*!# inside, @*!# on fuel and needed a service every 3K miles. And it wouldnt have seen where my current chariot went.

Same car would cost me about £2K less than the Beemer did now too.

And the Macan is cheaper than the Giulia QV. Ouch, that is one pricey Alfa saloon.

Edited by Toon Chris

Sporty BMW's for me are just quick versions of very dull euro fleet boxes.

£ for £ to go quick, spend the money on an Evo 8/9 and be done.

And evos are just quick versions of dull japanese fleet boxes ;)

I like or should i say liked a nice Evo (5 or 6), but after having owned an Evo 4 and also a RVR (evo motor'd people carrier) the engines are fragile and the interior is way worse than a 350z, maybe i am just old too (well i am) but not for me anymore.