Is it worth "upgrading" to the 370z

secretstar07979

Dude, chill. You're coming across as very aggressive of late, and coming from me that's saying something.

It was very much tongue in cheek with that one! I should have put a smiley at the end, my apologies.

Forgive me for what appears like aggression, but I see people being taken advantage of and it gets my back up.

I've realised it's more power I'm looking for so the 370 really isn't a sensible option. I'm now looking at SC my 350 or maybe buying one already done like this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/112260806248?euid=b311cebf25bb4e93b09bdb2d2295f2bc&bu=43359627538&cp=1&sojTags=bu=bu

This is similar money to a 370 but way faster and way more extreme.

• Like 1

I've realised it's more power I'm looking for so the 370 really isn't a sensible option. I'm now looking at SC my 350 or maybe buying one already done like this: http://www.ebay.co.u...1&sojTags=bu=bu

Raw power or "speed"?

SC/T/TT 350 would be nice, and a pre-built one is very good value, but it's still a 350, which isn't a bad thing, but there's probably better options.

After 6 pages I can't remember what's been said and re-reading it all is a lot of effort, but what about other cars?

There's a fair few E92 M3's, Evo's and STI's around for that price which should handle better and are faster.

Failing that, you've got the Cayman, or you might manage a 911.

Or there's stuff like the Maserati 4200 and Jag XKR?

Even a couple of VXR8s...

Edited by Strudul
  • Like 1

A wet, damp and patchy cat and fiddle isn't really a great comparison..

That's a road I know very well and must have rode at pace more than 100 times..

It's nasty, perilous and farmers were known to throw @*!# on the road to try and get you off..

It's also covered in camera's and congestion...

Tight and technical a car will win, grip and direction change is so much better, but as soon as the throttle can be wound on the car is a dot in the mirrors

• Like 2

I've realised it's more power I'm looking for so the 370 really isn't a sensible option. I'm now looking at SC my 350 or maybe buying one already done like this: http://www.ebay.co.u...1&sojTags=bu=bu

Be careful hunting for power. The only thing it leads to is wanting more power. I see the 'MORE POWER' brigade on track and they are trying to implement a quick fix. I have driven 200mph+ 700bhp+ RWD cars and yeah, it's great fun to toast an Audi R8/911 Turbo or whatever...once. Then it get's boring, expensive, you lose the sublime nature of the car and you're constantly wondering whether or not it's detting, overheating, missing, etc etc. Obviously compared to my other machinery, the 350Z is 'reserved' in terms of performance, but in terms of the real world it is PLENTY enough power to get past everything I need to on single carriageway roads. Perhaps getting a 4:1 diff might give you the extra pep you want along with making the car a bit more willing?

A wet, damp and patchy cat and fiddle isn't really a great comparison..

That's a road I know very well and must have rode at pace more than 100 times..

It's nasty, perilous and farmers were known to throw @*!# on the road to try and get you off..

It's also covered in camera's and congestion...

Tight and technical a car will win, grip and direction change is so much better, but as soon as the throttle can be wound on the car is a dot in the mirrors

Yeah, the road favours the car. Hopefully you noticed the lines on the bike were so because of obstacle avoidance leaving you to be compromised on ideal entry. Again, part of the challenge!

The thing is the roads in the UK are going to be like that most of the time - pot holes, damp in parts, tree sap, grids etc. The roads I like on a bike are twisty. But yeah, even though that is a quick car and the bike a 600, it does pull quickly.

Plenty of well done SC 350s on here, it shouldn't be a problem getting that up and running and looking after it, you will find a fair few owners on here in similar cars. As above, if you want to keep going and going then you might want to start with a turbo car out the box. Supra's are good for it etc.

• Like 1

I agree with Rocket, i was bothered about loosing 20hp on a 500bhp Rx7 due to getting rid of a screamer pipe and plumbing it back into the exhaust, you do (or can) get caught up in the "pub talk" figures, when i look back i reslise how stupid it was, its no dissimilar on here when it comes to remaps and the "extra" power, in reality it makes little to no difference but everyone wants to talk dyno figures but side by side there would be nothing in it,

• Like 2

Plenty of well done SC 350s on here, it shouldn't be a problem getting that up and running and looking after it, you will find a fair few owners on here in similar cars. As above, if you want to keep going and going then you might want to start with a turbo car out the box. Supra's are good for it etc.

Yeah, it's once you get the charger on, you'll find yourself hunting for more boost (Bigger pulley/upgraded wastegate etc etc) - it's what the more power brigade tend to do and it's a slippery slope. So yeah, that supercharger kit that boosts 8psi standard gets you 430bhp and it's all nice and driveable. Hell, thanks to the boost, you're getting a significant reduction in the compression/tension stress fluctuation on the rod that you get with N/A so there is a case for increased reliability!

I don't think it matters what type of engine you start with - N/A or boost. Chuck a turbo on a HR engine and you're good for 500+bhp which is a lot! S2000s can also do 500bhp with turbos and I have insalled supers on two cars making 460bhp+ (and not at TDI North daft dyno either). How much would you need to spend on a BMW B55 engine to get that?! Obviously going beyond this you're looking at pistons, then rods, then big turbos, then meth injection, then race fuel etc. It all becomes much of a muchness because you'll be throwing money down the turbine :D

But I regularly see 5-600bhp Evos turn up on track and down the straight you wonder which way they've gone until you get on the brakes and enter the corner to wonder if they have Miss Daisy in the passenger seat :D

Having driven a few Evos, they are extremely capable, but dull as dish water IMHO. If you want to appear a good driver when you're not, they're an amazing car for making you look like a hero :D

Edited by Rocket_Rabbit

I agree with Rocket, i was bothered about loosing 20hp on a 500bhp Rx7 due to getting rid of a screamer pipe and plumbing it back into the exhaust, you do (or can) get caught up in the "pub talk" figures, when i look back i reslise how stupid it was, its no dissimilar on here when it comes to remaps and the "extra" power, in reality it makes little to no difference but everyone wants to talk dyno figures but side by side there would be nothing in it,

We've all been there :D And then you realise how much money/time/bullsh1t you've wasted!! I suppose, in a way, it's a right of passage. I'm sure people told me that I was stupid but I ignored them to find out the hard way.

As they say: Experience is a fine teacher, but the fees are high :D

I mention the Supra due to the power holding capability of the engine as standard. Other engines need forging etc. But really, there are better bases to start from if you want something to drive down the strip. In terms of peak power on the remap on the zed, its kind of irrelevant, as is peak power as a measurement in any case. If you are looking for remaps and the like its the area under the graph that makes all the difference to what you 'feel' as you never drive around with the car sat at 6000rpm constantly where the power is. Especially notable on turbo cars, get a nice big turbo that gives 500bhp peak but gives you naff all at revs under 4k rpm for instance.

Back on topic, personally I would not throw the extra money at the 370, its easy to upgrade interiors, there is extra power to be had but if you are a power fiend going from 280 to 320 or the like will probably be something of an anti-climax.

• Like 1

For me fast cars are great, we wouldn't of bought a V6 motor with woeful mpg and high tax if we didnt like a little bit of speed, looks and noise.

Chasing power is fine imo, aiming for that ten second pass in a away keeps one out of trouble and done in the right way is cheaper than regular drinking, smoking and gambling. bhp numbers should be for yourself not to impress anyone else. You wont know if it’ll make you happy until doing so, but if you have that itch with money to spare, an understanding partner, somewhere safe to keep it - id try and always say go for it.

I love cars always have but never ever wanted to pile £££ into it and if i did of course it would have to be a second or 3rd car. So i wouldn’t need to worry about it getting me to work in the morning if i blew a piston on track.

There’s always going to be cars with more power, there’s always going to be better drivers.

"But I regularly see 5-600bhp Evos turn up on track and down the straight you wonder which way they've gone until you get on the brakes and enter the corner to wonder if they have Miss Daisy in the passenger seat :D

Having driven a few Evos, they are extremely capable, but dull as dish water IMHO. If you want to appear a good driver when you're not, they're an amazing car for making you look like a hero :D "

When i worked for Ralliart the 4G63 in the Evo's could do 600BHP+ with forged internals... They was a great lump albeit a bit delicate at anything above 350bhp in standard trim..

They can be an absolute weapon in the correct hands,but are very nervous beyond 9/10ths... Many of the established works drivers just couldnt get on with them at all and found them too unpredictable..

Turbo Tommi and Gigi Galli had no such problems and use to absolutely drive the bejesus out of them everytime the door opened.

Proper men with huge spuds...

Edited by Alpinaman

If I had 14 grand for a car, it would indeed be something N54 powered (not N55). What an amazing engine that is, mine (e92 335xi) was nicked. :(

You can add horsepower at 10 quid each (i.e. a grand in bolt ons will net you another 100hp).

Edited by Aashenfox
  • Like 1

And its not all about that peak power output either, no way you can measure 'performance' based on a peak output bhp figure. Clearly the weight of the car makes a huge difference, my VX220 was a lowly 150bhp but weighing about 950kgs means it doesn't need to drag the extra half tonne around the Zed had to. Also higher peak performance figures often comes at the expense of low down power levels. Its quite likely a 600bhp Supra has less horsepower between 1000-3500 revs than a bog standard Zed for example.

I think the only way to really measure 'performance' is timed point to point runs taking in corners, braking and acceleration.

When I say outperform I guess I mean be a more exhilarating drive. Speed / acceleration is a factor in this along with handling and "fun factor". I'm aware I want something with more performance than what I'm currently getting with my standard 350z. You see bog standard low mileage 350's for sale at 8 or 9k. Makes the 13k this seller is asking reasonable in my opinion. But I really should be saving for a house deposit so.......heart over head!

Yeh, it's a tough one. My 335xi was like driving on a wave of silk being propelled by a tsunami, but it was 4wd, 400hp, safe as houses, heavy, had great big fat tyres on it and raped all-comers with its effortless grip and acceleration (0-62 4.7 secs), made a lot of Audis feel very small. BUT, as you say, the Z is a more exhilarating drive, its rwd for starters so it wants to play, it's less refined, more interior noise, more engine noise, more aggressive in every way. I love them both, but if you asked me to choose again, I'd take the Z and the change for a few mods rather than the 335, but that's not because its a better car, it most certainly ISN'T, hence my recommendation to others, but it fits better what I want out of a car (a bit of craziness).

Edited by Aashenfox

Yeh, it's a tough one.

Not really though, a 135 has the N54, is RWD, is lighter than a Zed, handles great with a few bolt ons and is a very nice place to be. And we have just come full circle :lol:

This was what I was getting at way back on page 2, an M3 ticks a hell of a lot of boxes, so does a Golf Gti, or a Focus RS, or an XFR, or ..........

I cant say Ive driven an FI Zed but I was getting wheelspin in 5th this morning, thats plenty craziness for me :lol:

• Like 1

Yeh, it's a tough one.

I cant say Ive driven an FI Zed but I was getting wheelspin in 5th this morning, thats plenty craziness for me :lol:

That's simply because you don't have MPSS on your car, as everyone knows all other tyres will kill you within a week of ownership ;)

• Like 1