2017 F1 Chat Thread

Ebized

Vettel was still staunchly adamant that Lewis had bake-tested him... even after seeing the footage with the graphic demonstrating that he didn't and still after he's been shown telemetry proving he didn't. Granted by that point he had very little choice; he needed to defend himself because he knew he had ****ed up.

just retrospectively DQ him - should have been black flagged at the time and disqualified. everyone behind him shuffles up the order, the championship points gap shrinks, but more importantly, both cars are still on track for the next race. if it was any other race series a driver would be black flagged for deliberate contact.

This bit, for me, is the problem with just a retrospective DQ on it's own though. If Vettel deliberately aims his car at another person, he has no place on the track. I get the point about the fans being disappointed and it being entertainment for those fans, and sadly I can't help but feel that this will heavily influence the FIA's decision despite the fact that it shouldn't, but ultimately if he can't handle the pressure and starts acting out like that then he simply shouldn't be on the track.

I can see it from both sides. Vettel deserves to be punished for what he did (and deserves a severe penalty), but a severe penalty will adversely affect "the show" which is already under a lot of criticism already these days. I don't think the FIA can win here.

Am i the only one here who thinks this was great TV?

Yes it was wrong etc etc but it's reignited this thread as well as a lot of people's interest in the sport, albeit that may be short-lived. I say dont punish him - 10SG was adequate.

Punishing him further will be a social media backlash reason, as well as a load of 'what ifs'. eg, what if LH was so surprised about the collision he put his car in the wall, or LH changed speed at that point and SV ended up crashing /getting air because of it.

That being said I think 10s SG was too lenient and he should have been black flagged.

I would bet my left nut if it was anyone but Vettel or Hamilton they would have been black flagged immediately for dangerous driving and furthermore suffered a few race suspension. Some people think they are bigger than the sport (not just F1) and if they are allowed to get away with it, they will continue to behave like it.

If the evidence is there (which i am sure it is with all their data) to show Hamilton maintained a constant pace and didnt brake test Vettel as he says, he has zero argument and should be made to apologise publicly to Hamilton, the FIA and the Fans and accept the punishment like a man, not a whinging spoilt brat.

James Hunt from 1977 :surrender:

Pete

I know its absolutely wrong but would much prefer to see a few handbags at 5 paces than all the he said she said bu**sh*t, one of the funniest things i have ever seen was seeing an enraged Italian Frankie Chilli storming down the pit lane in his dressing grown to "have words" with Carl Fogarty.

Edited by Jetpilot

Yeah I like to see some passion from drivers as well, and that's something that I like about Vettel (aside from him being a great driver). There's still a line though, and ramming someone under SC conditions is the wrong side of it. Punching a marshal is, of course, even further past it :D

...and with regards to the contact - all the drivers know these cars can go wheel-to-wheel without risk of severe damage... he knew what he was doing.

i don't agree. These are not touring cars, they're open wheelers, tyre to tyre contact SOMETIMES (albeit rarely) has EXTREME consequences (cars flipping, flying, that kind of stuff), not to mention the results of hitting a barrier. Sure, people aren't generally killed in F1 crashes, but they are injured, I don't think anyone ever hit the barrier hard without any pain or injury at all. That pain/injury would have been deliberately and maliciously inflicted. If you want to get hurt doing your job, take up boxing, not F1 racing. He has to be DQed retrospectively to send the message that it doesn't matter whats at stake, you don't play with people's lives and livelihood for the sake of a trophy and some cash.

Edited by Aashenfox

https://www.forbes.com/sites/csylt/2017/07/04/f1-expected-to-put-brakes-on-british-grand-prix-in-the-next-week/#44d052704add

not looking good for the british grand prix... despite being one of the oldest and best attended races on the calendar, its just not profitable enough to continue. something seriously wrong here in my opinion, formula 1 should give special status to historic grand prix circuits in the same way they give special status to Ferrari.

I won't be sad if SS goes from the calendar tbh. If they can't make money despite having full attendance and utterly horrendous prices, then the contract is all wrong and needs to be torn up. Once all the big Euro races are gone and F1 loses the Euro audience, watch the owners hastily re-do contracts.

F1 will change drastically once all free-to-air is gone after this year. It's simply not a sustainable sport, and when the Italian GP goes as well you can imagine how well that will go down...

well its looking increasingly like the Silverstone contract will be ended...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/40518666

hopefully f1 will see sense and not simply race in countries where the governments are prepared to stump up the most cash (looking at you, Azerbaijan, Russia and Bahrain).

they should value the big historic events, and reach a price that is reasonable. with none of this 5%escalator BS. about £15m should be fine.

I hope the BRDC carry out their threat, and I hope Liberty don't back down and do a new contract that's affordable. I'd quite like to see Silverstone disappear for a few years tbh. Maybe we might get the fabled street circuit that's now possible, even if it means we don't have a BGP for a couple of years.

F1 at Silverstone is miles too expensive. £400 for a pit straight grandstand seat? £185 for a Sunday ticket? Naff off mate, it's not even worth going for the noise any more. Nope, I have no love for Silverstone whatsoever.

• Like 1