2017 F1 Chat Thread

Ebized

Another decent race I thought, always a joy to see a faster car make its way through the field. Bottas did well, genuine speed right till the end same for Ricciardo. Vettel extends his lead, great for the sport. 

#hejumpstart lol 

I have read a few stories on the BDRC decision and ultimately it seems that if they are losing money then why continue? They are a business at the end of the day and it appears that many other tracks on the F1 calendar receive huge government subsidies to host the event whereas they receive nothing from the UK government which makes profitability difficult (and pricing high).

Who else is going to Silverstone this weekend then?  I am! :yahoo:

Me and a couple of lads from work are going.  One of whom is a former Silverstone employee so is local, so we're staying at his house for the weekend.  Im taking my PS4, PSVR and Racing Rig for a few laughs and beers at his house in the evenings.

we're actively avoiding it lol a mate lives just down the road from Silverstone, we've got a trackday at rockingham on sunday but will be avoiding the A43 like the plague lol.

but will certainly watch the race on catch up in the evening most likely.

• 2 weeks later...

well this will surely divide opinion... official verdict is that the halo/flipflop/thong will be introduced on all cars in 2018

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/formula-one/deal-it-formula-1-adopting-halo

you can probably tell by my use of nicknames that I don't like it... looks awful and not sure the sport needs it in the first place - its kinda a given that racing at 200mph+ is dangerous and will shorten your life expectancy. If they absolutely had to have head protection then I'd have preferred to see a full jet fighter style canopy, something like the below. still undoubtedly a formula 1 car, but something I could look at without thinking flip flop all the time.

1ca7d90880a9be84b5344eb4909e566c.jpg

As you have said before, if you want to watch motorsport, there are far far more interesting series, F1 has been nothing but "entertainment" for a number of years now imho and if you like motorsport, F1 isnt even that entertaining. 

• Like 1

Listening to the commentry in F1 first practice about the impact of the halo and its pros and cons, of far greater concern for the future of FI now is that given the (potential) ban on the sale fossil of fueled cars in 2040 in UK where the majority of F1 teams are based how soon before Mercedes, Ferrari, Honda, et al write off their involvement in F1.  And move their development into Formula E...........that for me is far more or a turn off than what we currently have with F1?  Surely that will happen now sooner rather than later - particuarly given the current costs of engine development that Honda have failed to get to grips with? 

F1, as we currently know it will simply become a classic style race series.  Or will it fully embrace the the Duracell power?

Thoughts? 

I dont usually watch practice but lying around with man flu, actually some pretty good chat and not to be smug but interesting to hear ted echo my views that is f1 now entertainment rather than the pinnacle of motorsport.

My biggest annoyance with anything regarding health and safety is, "choice", i fully respect safety and saving lives, however, what ever happened to personal choice.

So if an F1 driver accepts no halo may result in death, surely thats his decision to make and his risk to take? imho.

Ant D also made a very good point regarding the tracks, run off areas etc the tracks should be made more challenging, he claims he had more focus when not presented with acres of run off rather than a gravel trap, so is this in a way adding the danger, i.e the drivers are going faster as they know if they make an error they can just use the run off, but in a freak accident there is nothing to slow them down before hitting barriers?

So with the 2040 thing, manufacturers will be jumping to forumla e so imho you might as well just get f1 back to having v8, v10's or v12's and make it the most exiting, fastest motorsport available. 

1 hour ago, Ekona said:

Truly this week has shown the deathknell for motorsport as we know it. 

All come at once with Porsche and WEC, Merc and DTM now turns out v8 super cars will soon be v6 supercars under new regs.

Although i do like the look of the closed cockpit f1 car.

well, the jet fighter canopy is the route I wish they'd have taken - then actually F1 would have a USP of bring the only open wheeled, closed cockpit racing series, and they look cool.

but I suppose they now have the USP of the only thong racing series... bring back the nose probes on the front wing and watch the Ann Summers sponsorship roll in!

Should have and could have been a great race on Sunday. I don't mind having one track where overtaking is impossible (Monaco} but to have 2 is crazy as barring accidents, a poor pit stop or a breakdown the racing is over after the first few corners. 

Anyway, next up is Spa, let's hope it piddles down :)

Pete

• Like 1

Vettel FTW, oh wait....... :yahoo:

Mate (massive Hamilton fan) was round just and I said it, Bottas under normal circumstances should not be out qualifying Hamilton. Imo Lewis is the 4th best driver on the grid at best. 

38 minutes ago, Ekona said:

Good for him, but no. He's 32, he's got experience in other disciplines, time to let the youngsters come through and have a go rather than turning to 30-somethings mainly because sympathy. 

He's a youngster as far as I am concerned :surrender::blush:

On the other hand, he had unfinshed business in F1 and certainly has only limited to really prove his talent, whereas the 'youngsters' have many years of opportunity, or dare I say look at Gangzooms electric future .  :stir::lol:

Exactly, he's had many years of ICE racing, the kids only have a few years left, let them make the most of it :lol:

If Kubica didn't have a gimpy arm, no-one would be saying that a 32 year old deserves a shot at a works F1 seat.

Edited by Ekona

• 2 months later...

Anyone else have a wry chuckle at Max’s stratospheric toy launch?

“I really hope the fans didn’t like this decision and hopefully next year they won’t come.” :cry:

If it had been a wall, he’d have lost more than 10 seconds. If he’s moaning about it being inconsistent, the correction for that is to punish the other driver, not to let him off his. I like Max but its clear this season is some of the first times he’s ever been told ‘no’ and it’s a little bit funny at times :lol:

I can see his point though. It cannot be that hard to put a transponder in the car that detects when a car has gone outside the white lines and automatically apply a penalty, if they won't adjust the circuits to put gravel traps in to catch them.

You can bet that if it had been Kimi overtaking Max in that way, there would've been no penalty. I'm not convinced at all that Ferrari are still not getting teh rub of the green when it comes to decisions like this. I'm not saying it wasn't a penalty, as it clearly was, but inconsistency is killing the sport. You cannot have a situation where it's okay to go outside the lines sometimes (like Seb did overtaking Lewis at the start) but not others.