UPDATE 15/09/16 - SC GT86

Leosille

After testing many cars in my hunt for a new project, I narrowed it down to the E92 M3, GT86, 370z, M135 and the S3. Out of all of them I found the GT86 to be the most involving and loved the driving position and how fun the car was to throw about, the only downside being underpowered. Fortunately, what I felt was the perfect base car became available.

Exterior:

Standard apart from the official TRD canards.

Engine:

HKS Supercharger V2 - fitted and mapped by Abbey Motorsport

HKS manifold

Tomei Overpipe

HKS resonated Front Pipe

M7 titanium exhaust (only one in the UK I think, hand made in Japan)

HKS Oil cooler again fitted by abbey - this has a vent in the wheel well, I high end part

ARC air box

HKS oil

Car makes roughly 320bhp/288 at hubs

The supercharger/oilcooler/most exhaust parts have only been on the car for around 2k miles

Car Mileage is just under 7000miles since new

IMG_6221.thumb.jpg.46bcefacbe3762970dd153a14a1ac454_zpsnsk9ckmr.jpg

IMG_6200.thumb.jpg.8a9cde5055d3c2fca3efbf89696932d0_zpsyzgeq4gf.jpg

IMG_6197.thumb.jpg.4d243a12a6509c2fde1e290d31de483f_zpseahrgr2s.jpg

IMG_6231.thumb.jpg.f1d2714d13495e652c4c59e90e97e3e3_zpsmt1kjsnk.jpg

IMG_6232.thumb.jpg.921014bcbee20757c8c6076a9e035101_zpsuxtw2nir.jpg

IMG_6229.thumb.jpg.9eca09357eeb7aba6ae1922607971857_zpscbeepqfv.jpg

IMG_6226.thumb.jpg.39ab4caac92054ffe64e3b3655552ec9_zpsc4rf7jsk.jpg

IMG_6225.thumb.jpg.66a79373aa2e1ce417fb40910d757e6b_zps6zjzfdkv.jpg

The car is going to be used as a weekend toy and for track use with the intention of entering the Toyota Sprint Series.

To Buy List so far , undecided on specifics at the moment and input welcome:

Light wheels with some quality tyres, standard wheels can not handle the power at all

Coilovers

Stroker Kit

Front splitter, side steps and rear spats

Arbs

Duck tail rear spoiler

Control arms

Edited by Leosille
  • Like 3

I'd love to see the look on someone's face as they look down their nose at you in the car.

Thinking to themselves.........."underpowered Jap rubbish"

Only to eat your dust

One word comes to mind.

........."Monicaaaaaaaaa"

:lol:

I like doing this to other car owners in our GT86 Demo car really upsets people when they cant keep up.

Well done on the purchase that is a nice car

• Like 2

Nice. Must have one of these soon!

Was there anything in particular about about the M135i you didn't go for? Apart from fugliness?

I found the part I enjoyed most about the M135i was the acceleration and although the interior and general quality is high, that for me is mostly what it had to offer. I really think due to the chassis and weight of the 86 it made everything seem like I was involved. But in the BMW I felt like it was aim and attack rather than enjoying the drive, if that makes any sense lol?! I prefered the M135i over the E92 M3, for me that was lethargic, but it had an amazing presence on the road. The fact it looks very similar to all the other models wasn't the greatest selling point either.

A great buy, I'm not sure why it was up for sale for so long, it seemed a bargain at the eventual asking price. I think he did start it at £40k though when it had a few extras on and didnt get much postive interest!

Very nice, as it happens I'm going to have a look at a red one tomorrow, but still not quite decided on colour.

The yellow ones they released last year look great, not had any depreciation time yet tho.

Saw this one on my travels through the ads, got yourself a bargain.

• Like 1

Very nice, as it happens I'm going to have a look at a red one tomorrow, but still not quite decided on colour.

The yellow ones they released last year look great, not had any depreciation time yet tho.

Saw this one on my travels through the ads, got yourself a bargain.

I'm a big fan of the white they do, red wouldn't be my first choice but it's growing on me and can look good with a few mods

I'm a big fan of the white they do, red wouldn't be my first choice but it's growing on me and can look good with a few mods

Yeah, love a white car. Dealer near me has one so may check that out at the weekend if it's not pissing it down. Got a 'white' Integra DC2 tho, and I fear parking an actually white car near it may make it look too beige, like it does when it snows.

I think my favourite colour is the blue BRZ, but no where near as many of them about. And most on the market appear to be 400 miles away from me.

I may have to be patient, but I'm terrible at it, and tend to buy the first car I go to look at.

Yeah, love a white car. Dealer near me has one so may check that out at the weekend if it's not pissing it down. Got a 'white' Integra DC2 tho, and I fear parking an actually white car near it may make it look too beige, like it does when it snows.

I think my favourite colour is the blue BRZ, but no where near as many of them about. And most on the market appear to be 400 miles away from me.

I may have to be patient, but I'm terrible at it, and tend to buy the first car I go to look at.

Haha say you bought it as beige lol, the BRZ in blue is gorgeous! Patience is what it's about to find the right car I believe Trade Link have Tarmacs old car that looks spot on.

Confused that you didn't test drive an Exige S? Would've ticked all your boxes without the massive headache and unknowns of customisation.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

I did have a browse at Lotus, but an Exige S would be quite a lot older and more expensive compared to what I ended up getting. The 86 is a project, customisation is the fun part even though I'm sure it can be a headache at times!

• Like 1

So, now it can go like a greased rat out of a drain pipe, are you going to upgrade the suspension components so it corners like a house fly?

Just out of interest, what's the standard suspension like? Is it quite tight with lots of feed back or a bit woolly?

Edited by Rock_Steady

So, now it can go like a greased rat out of a drain pipe, are you going to upgrade the suspension components so it corners like a house fly?

Just out of interest, what's the standard suspension like? Is it quite tight with lots of feed back or a bit woolly?

It's actually difficult for me to fly about atm due to the standard wheels can't put the power down at all, traction control cuts in. I've ordered new wheels and tyres which should cure this. As for the suspension and steering, the geometry is out atm due to the previous owner having different wheels and suspension so that was obviously sorted for his setup. Atm it feels exciting and lively and the tail likes to wiggle, part of the fun but I haven't been able to drive it much at all that much so I will have to come back to you after the bank holiday and let you know. I will be buying coilovers in the future for sure hopefully it won't lose its character too much!

• Like 1