Curved tv's

Bodyboarder81

I'm in the market for a new one - probably go 4K but not fussed about 3D.

What's the benefit of the curved screen? I just don't get it!

A cynic might say the benefit is to TV Marketing departments the world over :lol:

Better wide viewing angles for people not directly in front of the TV, basically children and old people who lost out in the Darwinian scramble for the sofa. They're defo worth a look next time your in Richer Sounds, PC World etc.

• Like 1

Curved TVs are horrible, spiteful things. They're a marketing dream, nothing else. There is zero benefit to them in terms of viewing angle or screen quality, and every penny spent on engineering a curved screen is a penny less spent on things that actually matter, like processing power. Also, with the screen off they reflect the light as if you were looking into the back of a spoon, which is horrendously distracting.

I hate them. Passionately.

Samsung yes though, all my recent ones have been from them with good reason. The 75" one in the main lounge is a thing of beauty. It's not 4K, but that's on purpose.

• Like 1

Ok some good opinions and info ...... The other option is the Samsung 75" .... I guess the same as yours Dan ? What's the model number of yours ?

Reflecting light isn't an issue with regards the curved ones , as I've painted the walls black , black carpet and black out blinds . I built our small cinema room a few years ago and have a Panasonic 65" 3d plasma at the mo but want to go bigger !!

My brother inlaw works for sunseeker and gets 30-40% off Samsung so thought I'd take the opportunity to upgrade :)

Not the best picture as i couldnt be bothered turning the lights on, but here is my 65" curved Samsung. I want a bigger one to be honest... i have to move closer to the TV when playing Fifa as my sofa's too far away. :wacko:

Curved is pointless though... i dont notice any benefit from it.

919F7CC1-C24C-4DE6-A4AC-3370DAE5696C-1469-000001EF35A06ADD_zpssgcat5yc.jpg

• Like 1

Ok some good opinions and info ...... The other option is the Samsung 75" .... I guess the same as yours Dan ? What's the model number of yours ?

Reflecting light isn't an issue with regards the curved ones , as I've painted the walls black , black carpet and black out blinds . I built our small cinema room a few years ago and have a Panasonic 65" 3d plasma at the mo but want to go bigger !!

My brother inlaw works for sunseeker and gets 30-40% off Samsung so thought I'd take the opportunity to upgrade :)

Out of interest which Panasonic do you have? If it's one of the later ones I'd stick with that, may not quite be big enough but the picture quality (which imo is the most important thing) will be better than any led model available right now, especially if you spend a little getting it calibrated.

4k content is so limited at the moment it's hardly worth worrying whether or not you have that or full hd.

My two cents anyway.

I bought a Samsung UEHU8500 in 55" earlier this year, its last years second to top spec model, and I bought it over this years model on picture quality, fantastic,especially when streeming all my movies from NAS it upscales these really well, in fact it does everything well,just don't expect it to do much with rubbish SC transmissions, I also agree about the curve, it does nothing, but its something you wont even notice after a week or two.