Mondo's 300ZX Twin Turbo SWB!

Mondo 300

I figured I'd do a little thread here for my "old skool" Zed as it's very nearly a year since I bought her. Previously, I had a black 2+2 twin turbo auto that I converted to manual, but I never quite loved that car... possibly because I'd always wanted the SWB 2 seater one.

So I made the decision to sell the black one and replace it with a Shortie. All I had to do was find one!

This one came up on eBay with a one-line description. Ideally, I wanted a white one but Shorties are pretty rare over here (being import-only cars) so I decided to email the seller for some more info. He was very helpful and sent me plenty of pictures, including the spec sheet for the forged engine build that the owner before him had had done! :D

I paid a deposit and toddled off down to Kent to collect her. The start to my ownership wasn't great - the rear passenger wheel tried to part company on the A1 near York at "70 mph" which was terrifying! So she made the last bit of the homeward journey on a flatbed. :(

Turns out that the alloys had no spigot rings and slot-on spacers, so I can only assume that the wheels were vibrating which resulted in 4 snapped wheel studs!

Once I replaced those and changed the wheels, never had an issue since.

Anyway, here's some of the pictures the seller sent to me:

_57_zpsvu4yqm9e.jpg

_59_zpsjrkdc1ar.jpg

_58_zpsr8ok6slq.jpg

IMG-20141004-WA0007_zps8lj75ak9.jpg

IMG-20141004-WA0006_zpshhwj28ns.jpg

The body had plenty of scuffs and dings, not to mention a pretty caved-in driver's door. The rear lights were all crazed, the front lip was quite badly damaged and stone-chipped and the interior... god, someone had removed all the fabric trim and just painted (with rattle-cans) everything in silver!

It had a horrible shortshift fitted and, honestly, it was just crap. I had some serious regrets once I'd driven her for a couple of hours.

But she was a factory manual, twin turbo Shortie and that was what I'd always wanted so I had to start formulating a plan to transform her into a good looking machine once again.

Here's the two Zeds on my drive at the same time:

SAM_1542_zpsdad82af4.jpg

Realistically, she needed a respray. And a retrim. And new wheels. And new brakes. And a thorough service. Lots of work, basically!

I swapped the wheels from my old black one as I'd grown quite partial to them and they helped to change the look straight away.

Replaced the knackered tail lights with a set of brand new 99 Spec ones from Nissan USA.

Got a fibreglass boot spoiler to replace the knackered original one (seeing a pattern here?).

Swapped the knackered seats for a pair of Recaro Speeds with the rare factory Z32 subframes, and changed all the panels out at the same time.

Then earlier this year, I had a full 120k service done and a few other little jobs under the bonnet, including bigger SMICs with brand new pipework and a new alloy radiator. The engine bay looked like this afterwards:

SAM_2228_zpsftvaz5gi.jpg

A nice little transformation to help contrast with all the silver bodywork.

Then it was time for a full respray, including black roof bars, B pillars and the "moustache" on the front bumper. I decided to keep the standard silver, rather than try to change the colour. Once that had all been done, the interior was letting the side down quite badly so I took a couple of weeks "off work" to sort it out. And here's what she looks like nowadays:

SAM_2298_zpsy1wocmys.jpg

SAM_2300_zps7umuphfc.jpg

SAM_2304_zpsypntsqoi.jpg

SAM_2303_zpseqoba2pa.jpg

SAM_2302_zpsob6zlbfh.jpg

SAM_2296_zpslttgenb0.jpg

SAM_2295_zpsrzsqekgh.jpg

SAM_2581_zpsyb5h52ue.jpg

Not bad for just less than a year of ownership! :D

• Like 6

Very nice, used to have a LWB TT manual myself - didn't know they made any TT shorties, thought they were all NAs... also thought they were all slicktops - so much kudos for finding a SWB targa top, TT manual, they must be like hens teeth! loving the interior and seats, the only mod i'd really recommend is a 99spec front bumper, never got on with the standard one, really dates the car IMO. but a 99spec one would be sweet.

Mickey_Nguyen9resize.jpg

Have you turned the wick up on the engine yet? when I bought mine it had intake, intercoolers and exhaust all done, so a quick chip from zedworld free'd up another 60bhp or so. admittedly the clutch struggled and then eventually the engine blew, but if you've got a forged build already you should be alright!

• Like 3

Very nice, used to have a LWB TT manual myself - didn't know they made any TT shorties, thought they were all NAs... also thought they were all slicktops - so much kudos for finding a SWB targa top, TT manual, they must be like hens teeth! loving the interior and seats, the only mod i'd really recommend is a 99spec front bumper, never got on with the standard one, really dates the car IMO. but a 99spec one would be sweet.

Mickey_Nguyen9resize.jpg

Have you turned the wick up on the engine yet? when I bought mine it had intake, intercoolers and exhaust all done, so a quick chip from zedworld free'd up another 60bhp or so. admittedly the clutch struggled and then eventually the engine blew, but if you've got a forged build already you should be alright!

I actually bought a 99 Spec front bumper for her earlier this year, but I actually really like the original one. I think that the little aftermarket lip on the bottom changes the whole look of it, so I decided to stick with it. :)

Shorties are pretty rare over here anyway, especially factory manual TT ones, so I jumped on the chance to own the Zed I'd always wanted. Never fancied a Slicktop as I'm a huge fan of open-top driving.

Powerwise, I'm estimating 400+ at the moment. She's running around 16psi with biggers SMICs and a Selin Dual MAF intake, but I'm umm'ing and ahh'ing over new turbos and injectors in the future......

This was mine:

5632174679_0ca6d8794d_z.jpg

Loved that car when it was working, but unfortunately the 7 months I had with it were all too short, and it spent a lot of that in the garage (Steering rod ends, boost leak, clutch, extensive sill repairs, clutch again...) When the engine went bang as well after all the work i'd had done it pained me to split the exhaust and wheels and sell the car for scrap, rather than fork out another £1500 for a replacement engine. In hindsight I might have done differently, but the demise of my 300zx did lead me to a 350z, which is ultimately the better car, 3 years completely trouble free motoring.

However whereas the zed is relatively dainty, the ZX was a proper beast - low, long, wide, very loud and made a lot of power, no electronic driver aids if you get it wrong. I remember driving home after picking it up and spinning the wheels in 3rd as the boost kicked in, which was a tad sphincter clenching!

This was mine:

5632174679_0ca6d8794d_z.jpg

Loved that car when it was working, but unfortunately the 7 months I had with it were all too short, and it spent a lot of that in the garage (Steering rod ends, boost leak, clutch, extensive sill repairs, clutch again...) When the engine went bang as well after all the work i'd had done it pained me to split the exhaust and wheels and sell the car for scrap, rather than fork out another £1500 for a replacement engine. In hindsight I might have done differently, but the demise of my 300zx did lead me to a 350z, which is ultimately the better car, 3 years completely trouble free motoring.

However whereas the zed is relatively dainty, the ZX was a proper beast - low, long, wide, very loud and made a lot of power, no electronic driver aids if you get it wrong. I remember driving home after picking it up and spinning the wheels in 3rd as the boost kicked in, which was a tad sphincter clenching!

I think I actually remember yours from the forum - didn't the engine pop due to an oil cooler line or something? :(

You know I love that car Si. Stop showing off! It depresses me to think my Z32 is nowhere near that standard and won't be for a few years!

Aww, don't be like that - I have to show off a little, Lexx :)

I'll do you a nice deal on a retrim when the time comes, how about that? :thumbs:

• Like 1

Nowhere near finished with her yet - the underside's to be stripped, sealed and painted over the winter, along with a completely refurbished rear subframe.

The wheels will be getting refurbed in the next few weeks as well as they're letting the visual of the car down down. And, ridiculously, I'm thinking of redoing the interior as well... even though it's cost me around £1k in materials alone already! There are a couple of bits inside that I want to redesign to make it stand out a little more. :thumbs:

But she's a good solid car, which is pretty rare for these things in itself. Had her first MOT under my ownership a few weeks back and she flew through. :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Quite a significant update to my old Zed...

I recently had the alloys refurbished as they were really letting the overall look down. I used a highly recommended local company but, sadly, the end result and their attitude towards me being unhappy about the finish were absolutely disgraceful! The wheels look like they'd been painted in Hammerite and were pretty much ruined! :(

I couldn't justify spending any more money on an old set of wheels so I decided to bite the bullet and just buy some brand new ones instead:

SAM_3135_zpsjhjyjxww.jpg

SAM_3136_zps31imyukz.jpg

SAM_3139_zpsfk2hmo0e.jpg

SAM_3138_zpsw57cne9h.jpg

SAM_3137_zps2baxvrjj.jpg

SAM_3140_zpsnsxhtgiw.jpg

A set of Calibre CC-F wheels in gunmetal grey, 8.5x19 fronts and 10x19 rears! I got a set of custom badges made for the centres, to match the OEM badge on the nose panel, and that was all they needed. :D

Quite a sizeable difference to the appearance of the car, and I love 'em!

I'm still smarting about the refurb fiasco, but I'm very happy with the wheels I've ended up with because of it... :thumbs:

• Like 3

I could write a huge long diatribe about the refurb "company" - indeed, I have done in a few places! - but suffice to say that I was explicitly told I should be happy with the lousy finish on my wheels as they were cheaper than other places!

If I conducted my business that way, I'd be very poor very quickly......