Mondo's 300ZX Twin Turbo SWB!

Mondo 300

Epic! Who did the leather? :p

Ha, really! Dude he is the leather man! :p;)

Now I'm confused, I did put a smiley that indicated I was joking!! But then you used one too. I'm off to put the coil packs on the skyline!

Coilpacks? Are you sure you know what you're doing? :p

Epic! Who did the leather? :p

Ha, really! Dude he is the leather man! :p;)

Now I'm confused, I did put a smiley that indicated I was joking!! But then you used one too. I'm off to put the coil packs on the skyline!

Coilpacks? Are you sure you know what you're doing? :p

Hopefully! If it's too much I'll take her to garage!

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

Sorry I was messing.

Ah so you got the coilpacks at last - mate you need to get the car on the road, you owe me a hotlap!

I know! Just the tyres is a real kick in the financial nuts. Do you think the Verds will be OK?

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

• 9 months later...

Time to give this a little bit of an update!

My humble old Datsun was recently on display at the huge classic show at the NEC, and that gave me a problem to sort out: the interior.

Yes, it won "Best Interior" at our AGM earlier this year and yes, it was all very pretty and eye-catching BUT... I knew there were some parts of the seats that I wasn't happy with and I wasn't actually happy with the overall design...

So I had to start planning. I wanted to keep the period-correct Recaro Speed seats but I wanted to update the design a little bit. Make them a little more "showy" without going too OTT with them. Considering that this car is kind of a mobile showcase for what I do, I had to come up with something that would reflect my current "abilities"...

SAM_3853_zpsbmfbrhya.jpg

SAM_3854_zpsv9ykmwsz.jpg

SAM_3855_zpswoirw5va.jpg

SAM_3856_zpsnjbzob1y.jpg

SAM_3858_zpsi3r8sf6c.jpg

SAM_3860_zpsutzbdvee.jpg

Not too radical a departure from the previous trim - still using exactly the same materials - but updated enough to make quite a large difference to the look. :)

I built the new covers from scratch (as you'd expect) and adding the Alcantara inserts on the inner bolsters has helped to make the transition from that to the leather a little less blunt.

All the topstitching and embroidery has been changed to silver from the original design's dark grey, and I think this really "pops" against the dark red leather. I've purposely avoided using silver thread on the Alcantara, so the only visible stitching on it (the vertical seams in the seat centres) blends in and keeps the look very subtle.

I've also trimmed the three trim pieces behind the seats to match the new design, so there's now a reasonably seamless transition from the central T-piece to the armrest in front of it.

I'm much happier with this design than I was with the previous one. I think it looks striking without being too "in your face." The car gots lots and lots of attention at the NEC and yes, a large proportion of that was people admiring the cabin. I had some pretty serious doubts about whether my Zed was of a suitable standard to be on display at such an event but she scrubbed up really well!

SAM_3866_zpskro7pudq.jpg

2017's plans include a brand new wiring loom, a new clutch and flywheel, a new engine bay, new brakes front and rear and, hopefully, a new rear spoiler. I love it to bits, but this car just makes me bleed cash.... :lol:

• Like 3

Time to give this a little bit of an update!

My humble old Datsun was recently on display at the huge classic show at the NEC, and that gave me a problem to sort out: the interior.

Yes, it won "Best Interior" at our AGM earlier this year and yes, it was all very pretty and eye-catching BUT... I knew there were some parts of the seats that I wasn't happy with and I wasn't actually happy with the overall design...

So I had to start planning. I wanted to keep the period-correct Recaro Speed seats but I wanted to update the design a little bit. Make them a little more "showy" without going too OTT with them. Considering that this car is kind of a mobile showcase for what I do, I had to come up with something that would reflect my current "abilities"...

SAM_3853_zpsbmfbrhya.jpg

SAM_3854_zpsv9ykmwsz.jpg

SAM_3855_zpswoirw5va.jpg

SAM_3856_zpsnjbzob1y.jpg

SAM_3858_zpsi3r8sf6c.jpg

SAM_3860_zpsutzbdvee.jpg

Not too radical a departure from the previous trim - still using exactly the same materials - but updated enough to make quite a large difference to the look. :)

I built the new covers from scratch (as you'd expect) and adding the Alcantara inserts on the inner bolsters has helped to make the transition from that to the leather a little less blunt.

All the topstitching and embroidery has been changed to silver from the original design's dark grey, and I think this really "pops" against the dark red leather. I've purposely avoided using silver thread on the Alcantara, so the only visible stitching on it (the vertical seams in the seat centres) blends in and keeps the look very subtle.

I've also trimmed the three trim pieces behind the seats to match the new design, so there's now a reasonably seamless transition from the central T-piece to the armrest in front of it.

I'm much happier with this design than I was with the previous one. I think it looks striking without being too "in your face." The car gots lots and lots of attention at the NEC and yes, a large proportion of that was people admiring the cabin. I had some pretty serious doubts about whether my Zed was of a suitable standard to be on display at such an event but she scrubbed up really well!

SAM_3866_zpskro7pudq.jpg

2017's plans include a brand new wiring loom, a new clutch and flywheel, a new engine bay, new brakes front and rear and, hopefully, a new rear spoiler. I love it to bits, but this car just makes me bleed cash.... :lol:

Some seriously exceptional craftsmanship going on in that interior Mondo :#1::clap:

• Like 1

Really nice Z car that. Preffered it with the diablos though.

I liked the Diablos too - I didn't think they spoiled the look or anything like that. I love the CC-Fs though, and I've honestly lost count of how many people (at shows, on the street or even people just coming to the house) have said something along the lines of "Those wheels are perfect!" :)

Just caught up with this. Think the seats look spot on, ...not too OTT. ;)

They're embellished enough to really stand out and to be obviously different to Recaro's original design, but still subtle enough to blend in with the overall look and finish of the car.

That's my opinion, anyway :thumbs:

Really wanted a 300zx before I got the Celica, but so many are owned by people who paint over the rust and hope you don't notice, some shocking cars I went to view, this one looks stunning though.

I had some serious reservations as to whether my Zed was up to the required standard to be on display at the NEC. Yes, it won an award for Best Interior, but that didn't automatically mean that the exterior was up to scratch...

But she didn't look out of place whatsoever there. She shined up nicely and really stood out. :) But then she did have some rot cut out and replaced earlier this year, then the whole underside was thoroughly cleaned and sealed. So she's completely solid now.

A lot of the rotboxes have now either been broken for parts or have simply dissolved now, so the only examples that are left are decent (at least) and ones that have been well looked after. I think that's a large contributing factor as to why the prices are now on the rise :)

I do log back in to the forum now and again and saw a guy start buying up cars in Japan and importing them over for an immediate sale, he was putting prices on them of £6k-£7k and upwards which drove up prices also. Given there are usually no more than 10 for sale in the UK at any one time it had an impact on prices I think. I am still tempted by one, but do enjoy my 4WD agile rally car, I do though like the idea of climbing back into a 2 seater...

I do log back in to the forum now and again and saw a guy start buying up cars in Japan and importing them over for an immediate sale, he was putting prices on them of £6k-£7k and upwards which drove up prices also. Given there are usually no more than 10 for sale in the UK at any one time it had an impact on prices I think. I am still tempted by one, but do enjoy my 4WD agile rally car, I do though like the idea of climbing back into a 2 seater...

You're referring to Gazwoz. He's definitely brought some cracking examples into the UK recently, but only if you want an automatic. I'm assuming that a TT manual would be around £11k - £13k imported and I don't think he expects many people to be prepared to drop that sort of money on one...

Before I bought my old SS-III Beams, I was determined to get a GT-Four. I just couldn't find one within my price range at the time. I still love them, but I've grown rather fond of having turbos at my disposal and having open-top motoring at the same time... :)

• 6 years later...
On 15/10/2015 at 18:03, Mondo 300 said:

out of curiosity, in 3rd pic. Is the blue one a 2 Seater Hardtop (K-Reg)?