A Beautiful Beginning.

Good morning,

I am a newbie user on this forum and having searched and found great information over the past 18 months, I thought it rude to go any longer without saying 'hi'.

I have a 2006 Roadster which I purchased last May with 43k on it. I am guessing that my reasons for the purchase were as complex and, in the end, as persuading as everyone else's when measuring the competition. Ultimately and aside from the reliability, the everyday useability, the looks and the NOT the tax bracket, I love the fact that I have only seen about three others OTR in the last 6 months. That number would be per 300 yards on a sunny day in a Boxter or an SLK.

So, last May I quickly ran up a raft of things to do; all aesthetics within the remit of 'delicate' and all mechanicals 'as soon as I can grow my testicles'!; I have only ever done basic servicing work. However, in the intervening period since last I carried out an oil change, I have acquired a nice, warm garage so work enatailing spanners and the like should be more comfortable than before.

So far:-

Changed the exhaust for a full, stailness Japspeed system owing to a blowing Y piece after 12 months of ownership.

CREE LED side lights (sounds pathetic when I say it out loud, but the difference is huge).

Pulled the plastic armrests out to give three coats of paint and a coat of clear laquer as I could not stand seeing the key scratches every time I got in.

Next:-

Gearbox oil change. Now have Mannol 75/90 and Slick 50 Gearbox in stock (please feel free to berate my uninformed choices publicly).

Fit Pop Charger intake - unless anyone has reasons to advise not to.

New sterio head unit fit. I have briefly seen threads posted here which I will be returning to.

Figure out how to get the door to the glovebox out so I can do to the knackered looking thumb release lever what I have already done to the door card armrests.

New roof covering next year as mine has come away at the stitching where the 'hinge' meets the top of the OSF door shut.

New gear knob. Stock item scratched and scuffed.

Itsy, bitsy, teeny, weeny boot spoiler.

An eye to the future: -

370Z Roadster

A big thanks to everyone who has posted all the useful stuff I have used to date such as whoever posted the useful snippet in here explaining that the gearbox drain and fill plug washers don't need to be replaced saving me the hassle of finding parts.

The sun just came out and if I didn't have to get on with laying underfloor heating at the behest of my wife, I'd be using one of the many, now well worn excuses to go somewhere in the Zed.

Cheers for now.

Edited by edenc

Welcome to the forum - I think I'm running a Japspeed exhaust too!

Have you got any pics of the Cree Led side lights? quite intrigued by this...

No, but I'll drop some here next time I move the car. It's an interesting job changing them. having to get the front of the car up, wheels off, inner arch linings out (with bolts rust-welded in place) and then a challenging reach to the power line plugs. As a first timer it took me nearly two hours! I am not sure about the stock side lights but the CREE LED's are polarity dependent, though they don't blow if they're the wrong way around.

How do find your Japspeed system? I was pleased with the slight power gain and general feel of easy breathing, but a but let down with the change in exhaust note. I knew that a system without resonators would be different but it was enlghtening to hear just how much of an effort Nissan had gone to to achieve that sound.

Welcome buddy

Have to admit with you about the CREE led bulbs...makes such a difference to the front of the car and gets rid of the dodgy orange glow you get from the standard bulbs.

You're thinking of the indicators Jeff as edenc is on about replacing the sidelights with CREE LED's.

To get rid of the orange indicator bulbs your best bet is "Silvertec" T20 bulbs imo (available on eBay). Although you may be able to get some orange T20 LED's but I'm not sure how good they are.

Welcome aboard edenc. :thumbs:

No no I'm talking about the horrid yellow/orange glow u get with all standard bulbs.

I've got silvatecs and Cree LEDs bulbs.

Got you but the way you worded it made it sound like the CREE LED's get rid of the orange glow, ...which they don't as I've just said and you too it's the Silvertec bulbs that get rid of that.

No worries either way. ;)

No, but I'll drop some here next time I move the car. It's an interesting job changing them. having to get the front of the car up, wheels off, inner arch linings out (with bolts rust-welded in place) and then a challenging reach to the power line plugs. As a first timer it took me nearly two hours! I am not sure about the stock side lights but the CREE LED's are polarity dependent, though they don't blow if they're the wrong way around.

How do find your Japspeed system? I was pleased with the slight power gain and general feel of easy breathing, but a but let down with the change in exhaust note. I knew that a system without resonators would be different but it was enlghtening to hear just how much of an effort Nissan had gone to to achieve that sound.

The thing is, I bought mine with the Japspeed on and to me it sounds good - at low speeds its not toooo loud neither at high speeds if you're just cruising - but when I throttle it the exhaust note kicks in - how was the standard exhaust sound you had before?

The thing is, I bought mine with the Japspeed on and to me it sounds good - at low speeds its not toooo loud neither at high speeds if you're just cruising - but when I throttle it the exhaust note kicks in - how was the standard exhaust sound you had before?

I found the stock system a really nice pitch and expected the Japspeed to improve upon that. Interestingly the note lowered with the new system so I found myself hitting the self imposed red line non-stop foir a while thinking it sounded like it had a while to go when it didn't. I haven't yet had my wife drive it down the road so I can hear it from the curbside. Feels like a getting a bit carried away, bit will do it as some point. Also, the cab noise with the roof UP makes it less comfy for long drives. I am wondering how much the effect is exascerbated by the very wide slash-cuts on the ends.Am contemplating cutting them off and finishing with some 3inch slip overs rather than the 4.something inch slash cuts.

Going to upload some pics. You'll see what I mean.

So then; some pics: -

1. The arm rests with numerous, tatty scratches covered. Not perfect, but a BIG improvement. Drivers side done also.01.JPG

The Gearknob that requires either the same treatment or a replacement.

02.JPG

This is a nice replacement I found by m_tech-engineering on ebay.

10.JPG

The knackered glovebox release thumbswitch that needs to be done.

03.JPG

CREE LED's (sorry, taken quickly and exposed for the car, not the lights. Doh! Will post improved pic soon)

04.JPG

Japspeed end cans & slashcuts. Oh! and beesting antenna, of course.

05.JPG

Gratuitous shot of my car, 1*

06.JPG

Gratuitous shot of my car, 2*

07.JPG

Gratuitous shot of my car, 3*

08.JPG

And another one

09.JPG

* It is, of course, my wifes car too (Just in case she ever reads this thread. Spineless, I know!)

Edited by edenc
  • Like 1

No no I'm talking about the horrid yellow/orange glow u get with all standard bulbs.I've got silvatecs and Cree LEDs bulbs.176cbb9198f753eade1c69565366997c.jpg
Just posted a pic or two of mine. Do you know what year the headlights changed from yours to mine (or visa-versa)? Or maybe it's an import thing? I am kinda keen on the orange illuminated strip (or dots on mine). Whilst I am not keen on a lot of the DLR's that havbe been mandatory on new cars since 2011, this is taseful and less 'Blackpool-illuminations-ish' IMHO. Sorry, just reread your post. Assume Silvatecs are replacement fitments?

I briefly considered fitting replacements lights myself last year as mine were going 'milky' but discovered that high grit wet and dry together with Mothers Headlight Restorer did a great job for about £400 less than replacement units. Yay!

Edited by edenc

Welcome to the forum

The headlight above is the pre facelift model. You have the facelift model headlights which changed in 2006. Your welcome to change yours for my pre facelift head lights if you like the orange strip ! Haha only joking mate as you have the most sort after headlight.

The Silvatec bulbs replace the indicator bulbs to get rid of the fried egg effect in the headlight.

Edited by SHEZZA