New member, new to 370z scene and advice appreciated!

Hi!

I am currently looking at the 370z as a car for my wife and I, and just wondered if anyone had any good advice on anything to look for while I'm on the hunt.

I've seen the buyers guide for the 350 in the for sale section and I know what to look for generally when buying cars, but if there's anything 370 specific it would be good to know!

We are a pair of petrolheads and come from a history of fast Fords (Focus ST & RS) and Subarus (Impreza turbo/WRX and BRZ). The 370z has caught the wife's eye as a replacement for her Forester XT (change in circumstances so dont need the space anymore). I'd never paid the 370 much attention in the past but after a test drive yesterday I'm keen to know more about them. Mrs fatrab will be using it for her daily commute (4 miles) and I'll have fun in it at weekends!

We do love the look of the Nismo (2014 big wing version in white) but there seem to be a few very tidy, low mileage, GT spec cars currently for sale, so I can't see us forking out the extra premium for the Nis tbh.

The one I test drove yesterday was a grey 2009 GT with 21k, full nissan history, eibach springs, HKS filter and a Milltek exhaust and we're off to look at a similar, 2010 unmodified one today.

My initial concerns yesterday were that the n/s/f tyre was badly scrubbed, which may simply be needing aligned, and that the panel gap between the top of the rear bumper and the bootlid wasn't parallel (about 2mm wider on the n/s), but there were no obvious signs that the car had been repaired/painted - in fact the car was pretty much immaculate bar a few very minor kerb marks on the wheels and acceptable stonechips elsewhere given the age/mileage. I know some cars don't have perfect panel alignment when they leave the factory, but is this common on the 370?

Look forward to your help and advice!

Cheers,

Robert

Edited by fatrab

Rear boot lid and bumper alignment issues is a thing o the 70. The gap on mine is slightly more than I would like but others I have seen are far greater.

If its wonky then that does suggest a knock at some point in its life.

• Like 1

A few things come to mind.

If you go for one of the earlier cars make sure it has had the steering lock replaced as part of the recent recall.

Later cars (2010 on) have a much better sat nav system (connect premium)

Check that the corners of the bonnet near the windscreen do not catch the wings. I have seen numerous cars with this issue easy fix to just lube the hinges, its a unnecessarily complex hinge that if not regularly used or lubricated can cause damage to the paint

Some cars on here have had gear box issues so make sure nothing feels or sounds odd with the gear changes

Nismos will have a completely different setup, handling is considerably different from the standard car.

Good luck with the hunt

• Like 1

Thanks for the info!

I was aware of the steering lock issue (thanks to honestjohn's website!) but didn't know it had been a recall so I'll be sure to check into that.

Didn't notice any damage around the top of the wings and I did give the car a good going over but if I decide to go back for a second look I'll double check, and will certainly be looking closely at this one today, going to view it at 5pm.

Good to know that the rear bumper may be a factory issue as opposed to a bodged repair, as I'm 99% sure the car hasn't been painted. I used to buy cars from the salvage auction and repair/sell them - so I like to think I can spot repairs and paint work better than your average Joe Bloggs. If it had been painted they'd done a bloomin good job of it!

Not too fussed about the nav unit, although I appreciate that may affect future resale value. I don't expect we'll put much more than 5-6k per year on the car so hopefully it'll hold most of its value anyway, and other than perhaps a slightly more lively exhaust I doubt we'll do many mods either.

I think we'll need to go and experience the Nismo before we commit, as I suspect the grey might not appeal to my darling beloved.. She had initially wanted blue but they're like hens teeth and I'm not sure on it tbh. Might need to see it in the flesh for a better opinion.

Thanks again,

Robert

Thanks for the welcomes!

Well tonights car wasn't "the one".

Too many chips and scratches for a car described as "impeccable order throughout". Had standard exhaust and omfg it's quiet! Even Mrs fatrab was expecting a grumble but no, nothing - absolutely silent! Rear bumper gap difference was Identical to yesterdays so at least my mind is at rest on that concern.

Will see what else comes up over the next few weeks, not in an immediate hurry to buy so will keep my nose in here and find out as much info as possible from the forum.

Cheers!!

:welcome: to the forum.

Nobles have there Nismo demo for sale.

I had it for a few days last week when the 35 was in for some warranty work. :thumbs:

It's a new shape :thumbdown: too tame looking!

Prefer the big-winged one... cheers anyway :)

• Like 2

:welcome: to the forum.

Nobles have there Nismo demo for sale.

I had it for a few days last week when the 35 was in for some warranty work ... thrashed the arse off it ... goes like stink :thumbs:

FTFY Alex

H ;)

Yeah, something like that: :lol: :lol: :lol:

• Like 1

Lol - exactly this - I'm always wary about buying ex-demos!!

My Nismo was an ex demo with less than 2000 miles on it and it's been great. Bear in mind that even if you get a Nismo the exhaust note is still fairly tame; it's better than the standard car's exhaust but not sufficient for such a distinctive looking car. Budget roughly a grand for a relplacement and another £400-£500 if you want to add high flow cats, then a further £400 for an uprev (which has made a big difference to throttle response o mine).

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about the 2013/14 Nismo. (I definitely recommend it!). :)

DSC00037_zpsprw16uqm.jpg

DSC00039_zps7hnocqbo.jpg

Edited by sipar69
  • Like 2

Couple of le mans blues on auto trader currently fella plus an awesome black edition in quartz with red leather. Mrs Fatrab would be happy with that. ��

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quite the opposite! We saw the Black Edition advertised, it's not too far from us, but she doesn't like the red leather! Saw the 2 blues, 1 has too many miles and the other is in Ireland.

We're going to look at a white Nismo next weekend if it's not sold by then. Failing that possibly a trip over the pond to see the low mileage blue one.

Oh the joys of car hunting!!

Lol - exactly this - I'm always wary about buying ex-demos!!

My Nismo was an ex demo with less than 2000 miles on it and it's been great. Bear in mind that even if you get a Nismo the exhaust note is still fairly tame; it's better than the standard car's exhaust but not sufficient for such a distinctive looking car. Budget roughly a grand for a relplacement and another £400-£500 if you want to add high flow cats, then a further £400 for an uprev (which has made a big difference to throttle response o mine).

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about the 2013/14 Nismo. (I definitely recommend it!). :)

DSC00037_zpsprw16uqm.jpg

DSC00039_zps7hnocqbo.jpg

Thanks! If I think of anything between now and next Saturday I'll PM you. Lovely car btw, exactly what we'd be after! Do you have a sound clip?

I have a local guy who builds custom exhausts so will be handing whatever I buy over to him. I can't believe how tame the standard system is, you'd never think it was a 6 under there!

Thanks again everyone :D

Edited by fatrab
  • Like 1