New neighbours keyed car

Tomb

Someone might of said this but keep your car under Surveillance and take him to small claims court for damages you will 100% win with the footage as long it's clearly him and he will have to pay for ALL court fees on top of your car fees. But make sure the cameras are off when you kick his head in

Bad advice. Even if the footage was good enough to prove it was him, there's no such thing as a 100% win in court. All it takes is to get the wrong person on the wrong day after the night before and you can lose. The camera footage would have to be excellent (as in broadcast quality) to get a win IMHO, I've seen it happen too many times before. The CCTV should act as a deterrent, not as your proof to take him to court.

If he scratches it at night, wears a coat, the sun is in the wrong direction etc then that footage will be useless.

kind of begs the question: What's the point in CCTV at all if it can't be used to prove anything? Seems to work in London with 27000 of the buggers watching you're every move. Lord knows the police use it at their convenience. Edited by Rock_Steady

There was a thing in one of the news paper magazines the other week about being in a CCTV monitoring centre. They were saying that the zoom capabilities of the cameras is huge, like, they can read a shop receipt on the road if needs be. However there has to be a person operating the camera to manually train it on something and zoom it for them to get a quality image.

kind of begs the question: What's the point in CCTV at all if it can't be used to prove anything? Seems to work in London with 27000 of the buggers watching you're every move. Lord knows the police use it at their convenience.

CCTV footage is still useful during police investigations. If the police found someone who looks like the person on the video they can try to bullshit him into confessing ("all your mates have already confessed you will get a life if you dont and 2 months if you do") or search his house to look for stolen goods etc.

Ok I've not commented on this until now. Evidence is indeed a crucial part of the puzzle but I would also consider instigating a deterrent to assist with this. I would probably create a small flyer stating what has happened with regards damage to the vehicle and post it through every door in the street including the alleged perpetrators. It would take the form of a warning to all residents that their vehicles may be targeted and the police are aware of the issue. It should state a reference number agreed with the local force that residents quote should they see something suspicious in future.

You will effectively be increasing the amount of eyes on the street and potential witnesses should it happen again. I suspect however the perpetrator would desist from such activities knowing this fact.

After all this type of neighborhood watch scheme can work wonders and may also gel the locals together more as nobody wants a damaged car.

Edited by Zeezeebaba
  • Like 4

Feel totally annoyed for u mate, I think we should gather a load of zeds and park right in front of their house to p*ss him off lol.

And get them all keyed....count me out of that one :lol:

Feel totally annoyed for u mate, I think we should gather a load of zeds and park right in front of their house to p*ss him off lol.

And get them all keyed....count me out of that one :lol:

😄 don't worry, we'll all hide behind a tree and catch him in the act.. I'm sure it'll make him think twice if theirs loads off the same cars right outside his front door lol.

• Like 1

Right update time.

Ended up deciding the best course of action was to write a letter to them as I am terrible at confrontation, the police where never going to do FA about it (and still haven't) and I'm also just a slight cubby manchild who can't handle himself in the slightest.

So the letter in short stated that we saw him damage the car and we would be taking it to the police. That we had contacted there letting agents telling them of the damage they had cause. And if he wanted to make amends please contact my local body shop where the car is booked in.

So next day rolls round and to my surprise I had a letter in return (from the chaps wife no less) saying they admit to the damage done and have contacted the body shop and paid for the work and send there deepest apologies and her husband was drunk when it all happened.

.. So I get on the blower to my buddy down at the body shop (a great friend of mine, who's done many of my cars) he tells me that they've paid up and All is good. He then adds "oh and I charged them b**tards over double so I have some cash waiting for you when you drop it off"

All in all pretty happy with the resolve .. Just wish it hadn't happened in the first place.

Tom.

• Like 17

Superb result.

Go round there, show them the extra cash and quietly say: 'Now this.....this is Sparta'

Up to you if you then kick him into the abyss, but it would make for an interesting read in the local paper if nothing else.

Right update time.

Ended up deciding the best course of action was to write a letter to them as I am terrible at confrontation, the police where never going to do FA about it (and still haven't) and I'm also just a slight cubby manchild who can't handle himself in the slightest.

So the letter in short stated that we saw him damage the car and we would be taking it to the police. That we had contacted there letting agents telling them of the damage they had cause. And if he wanted to make amends please contact my local body shop where the car is booked in.

So next day rolls round and to my surprise I had a letter in return (from the chaps wife no less) saying they admit to the damage done and have contacted the body shop and paid for the work and send there deepest apologies and her husband was drunk when it all happened.

.. So I get on the blower to my buddy down at the body shop (a great friend of mine, who's done many of my cars) he tells me that they've paid up and All is good. He then adds "oh and I charged them b**tards over double so I have some cash waiting for you when you drop it off"

All in all pretty happy with the resolve .. Just wish it hadn't happened in the first place.

Tom.

I kind of like the result, but, it makes me sad the kind of world we live in :(

Just out of interest - now that you have a letter from them saying he did it, and they've paid for the damages, could you now go to the police and get him done anyway? Not that I'm saying you should of course as by the sounds of it they'll be good as gold from now on, but still.......I'd be tempted. Teach him a lesson. Again.

Just out of interest - now that you have a letter from them saying he did it, and they've paid for the damages, could you now go to the police and get him done anyway? Not that I'm saying you should of course as by the sounds of it they'll be good as gold from now on, but still.......I'd be tempted. Teach him a lesson. Again.

He's fessed up and offered to pay which as good an outcome as the OP could have hoped for. Sticking the boot in now would just create a huge amount of bad feeling and resentment, and probably lead to worse problems in future.

My only concern now would be having a neighbour who turns nasty when he's had a few. Don't lose that letter - it's your insurance policy against him.

Bit sad that he had to get his wife to apologise for him.

Edited by sipar69
  • Like 2

Have to say I would be absolutely fuming and wouldn't have had the patience to write the letter - instead have been knocking his door down.

Hats off to you as like others have said not ideal but not out of pocket + fixed Zed and some extra cash from a top mate