Aspiring to a Z

Hi Guys,

I'm looking to buy a 350Z so joined the forum to ask some questions and do some research before making the jump. Hopefully once I have a car I can become a productive member and help others. I'm looking at a car somewhere around 2006-7 and roughly £7-9K. I could stretch to a 2008-9 at 10-11K but I'd rather not spend that kind of money unless it's getting me a significantly better car. My only reservation about the 06-07 range is the rev-up motor. I've already done a good amount of research about the oil consumption issues but haven't really found a consensus as to whether these cars are to be avoided, or if the bad ones have been weeded out by this point and the ones that are left are generally good. I'm pretty handy with a set of tools and not afraid to tackle relatively big jobs so hopefully I should be able to deal with any problems that crop up (I've owned a few MGTF's which gave me good experience)! I guess that's about it for now. I'll be reading a lot more and keeping my eye out for a good deal. Any and all advice is appreciated!

Cheers, Matt.

Welcome to the forum....with any performance car, oil consumption will be fairly high. Regular checks and maintenance of the motor will see you through a very happy ownership B)

The thing with the Revup and HR engines is the increase in road tax to £505/yr.

Welcome to the forum. As an 07 Rev-Up owner I can give you the benefit of my experience. Mine is on over a 100k now and is as good as gold. Do they use a bit of oil? Yes - but not as much as people think. You just need to be vigilant with checking it. To put your mind at rest - I'm not topping it up every month that's for sure! Id say the only real downside to the later cars, as mentioned already, is the higher tax band which stings a bit, but you're talking a couple of extra hundred pound over a year so it's hardly a deal breaker.

For me the good things like the better interior and exterior features plus a few more ponies under the bonnet outweigh any bad points.

• Like 2

Welcome to the forum....with any performance car, oil consumption will be fairly high. Regular checks and maintenance of the motor will see you through a very happy ownership B)

Don't think it's the Revup or HR that makes the difference it's when it was first registered ie from March 06 as I'm assured mine is a DE and it's £505 tax coz it's apr 06 so there are 06 DE's and they go very nearly as quickly as a Revup or HR so it really depends on all the other things you want in it 😇 mileage condition etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to the forum. As an 07 Rev-Up owner I can give you the benefit of my experience. Mine is on over a 100k now and is as good as gold. Do they use a bit of oil? Yes - but not as much as people think. You just need to be vigilant with checking it. To put your mind at rest - I'm not topping it up every month that's for sure! Id say the only real downside to the later cars, as mentioned already, is the higher tax band which stings a bit, but you're talking a couple of extra hundred pound over a year so it's hardly a deal breaker.

For me the good things like the better interior and exterior features plus a few more ponies under the bonnet outweigh any bad points.

Don't think it's the Revup or HR that makes the difference it's when it was first registered ie from March 06 as I'm assured mine is a DE and it's £505 tax coz it's apr 06 so there are 06 DE's and they go very nearly as quickly as a Revup or HR so it really depends on all the other things you want in it 😇 mileage condition etc

Thanks for the advice. It's put my mind somewhat at ease. I don't mind it using some oil as long as it's healthy and have no problem topping it up when needed. The tax isn't really an issue, an extra £200 a year isn't make or break for me. The reason I'm going for the revup isn't the extra power (it'll be more than quick enough for me whatever engine), it's mainly for the interior and other upgrades that came with it.

Welcome :)

I think with the direct debit scheme in place for VED the extra is a bit easier to absorb as you can manage the cost - so really it shouldnt really be a consideration when purchasing a car, as you say get the right one for you!

• Like 2

Welcome to the forum Matt :wave:

I'd recommend the HR, doesn't use any oil between services and the extra tax is not an issue as you say.

Good luck with the search whatever you decide to buy, they're all great cars.

A blast through the mersey tunnel is a must do, if you have a decent exhaust fitted! :p

Mine will be up for sale shortly :blush:

I've just had a look at a few posts and it looks like a nice example. Let me know when you put it up although I'm keeping an eye on the 'for sale' section anyway.

• Like 1

Mine will be up for sale shortly :blush:

I've just had a look at a few posts and it looks like a nice example. Let me know when you put it up although I'm keeping an eye on the 'for sale' section anyway.

Thank you that's much appreciated. Its a great example with so much history. Recent clutch change also!

Edited by maddog1982
  • Like 1