Are they worth it?

Steel Lynx

No, nothing to do with women or beauty products. My brake pads and discs are due soon(ish).

I've been looking at crossdrilled and grooved/vented discs but then wondered if there's actually any point. Apart from the fact that they look awesome I'm unlikely to ever track the car (maybe just once). Would I just be wasting my money? I have braided lines and will be using uprated fluid and maybe EBC Yellowstuff (any good?) pads. Maybe that would be enough for day to day driving?

Cheers :)

i think the most popular answer you will get - get OEM discs and some DS2500 (or whatever they called) pads for good results.

You can also add braided lines and new fluid to make it even better :)

• Like 2

Regardless of tracking the car or not being able to stop quicker is always beneficial. :teeth:

Now obviously you don't need a big brake kit but I'd say it's definitely worth getting some decent parts as Vlad mentioned above ~ braided brake lines, Ferodo DS2500 pads and some Motul RBF600 fluid or similar.

That's even if you do stay with standard discs. ;)

• Like 1

Good brakes are the single best mod you can do. Stopping quicker lets you go quicker, will make more of a difference than an extra 20bhp would :)

Combined with MPSS - you will be the king of the road :lol:

• Like 1

I think I read somewhere that the Ferrodo DS2500 pads aren't actually road legal (correct me if I'm wrong) I think the EBC Yellowstuff ones meet the required regulation which is why I mentioned them.

So I guess the actual answer is that drilled and grooved discs are worth it even on the road :)

EDIT: And also, aren't drilled discs prone to cracking?

Edited by Steel Lynx

EDIT: And also, aren't drilled discs prone to cracking?

It can happen yes on discs that have drill holes all the way through, ...not sure if they are all prone to this though and I understand chamfering the hole can help stop/reduce the chance of that happening.

Plenty of cars do run fully drilled discs but I don't think you really need that. I have EBC turbo grooved discs on my Zed which are dimpled rather than fully drilled so you do get a nice looking disc which is strong with some of the benefits of the drilled discs. ;)

$T2eC16F,!)!E9s2f!GpkBQSJ-3vC1Q~~60_35.JPG

Edited by GMballistic

Grooves and holes reduce surface area so for better emergency braking oem probably wins but if your on and off them constant the muck and dust will get swept away better with grooves and holes cool the center of a red hot pad. For day to day car I would stick to oem.

• 4 weeks later...

IMO the standard 350Z calipers and discs are more than good enough - team them up with braided hoses, decent fluid and SERIOUS pads like Pagid RS29 or Carbon Lorraine RC6 and you can pretty much make the back wheels lift off the ground :lol:

Unless theres something wrong with your disks Id spend the money elsewhere :)

• Like 1

I'd go for aftermarket rotors only because the hub section won't suffer unsightly rust like the oem jobbies. Beyond that, your investment in the very best tyres is more important than a brake caliper or pad upgrade. Also bear in mind that if you're not tracking you might actually be better off with oem brembo pads as they have better initial bite than the ds2500.

Edited by Dynamic Turtle

I'd second that Brembo pads work well

The trouble with race pads is they are hard as hell and are crap when cold, which lets face it, is most of the time on the road

I run Hel hoses, 5.1 fluid and grooved and drilled disks, plus Goodyear Eagle F1s

Never get any problems

Where do you need better stopping power for the road? Do you find yourself standing on the brakes and the abs doesn't kick in? How and where are you driving?

If the answer is mountain roads at 3am flat out downhill then fair enough.... upgrade.

Edited by Kieran O'Quick

For the record I had DBA9000 discs & pads on my 350z and they were rubbish, I had no end of problems with them. Brake judder, had to replace pads back to DS2500 to fix the problem, and then I had a load of uneven wear on the discs. Cost me nearly a grand back in 2007! I must have been nuts. I'll stick to the OEM in the future. I get the brake fade some times but that's when pushing it on the A5 as it has about six 1 mile straights with roundabouts, otherwise I think the OEM on the 370z are perfect for me.

Edited by NWZ

Well, for those that are still interested. I decided to go for OEM discs, Yellow Stuff pads and Motul RBF 600 fluid. All of which will be getting done at Sly's on Saturday :D

Thanks for all the suggestions/ideas/opinions etc :)

• Like 1

Well, for those that are still interested. I decided to go for OEM discs, Yellow Stuff pads and Motul RBF 600 fluid. All of which will be getting done at Sly's on Saturday :D

Thanks for all the suggestions/ideas/opinions etc :)

What time are you at Sly's?

Not sure what I am doing Saturday but if I am free I might pop down for a chat 😀