German Wings Pilot "locked out"

glrnet

Certainly makes you think, I will be racking up the air miles this year :surrender: one of my flight choices for Oz is Air Malaysia .. . so who would book a flight with them? any takers?

Sad to say but I booked with Air France to Brazil a few days after the 777 went down, the prices were ridiculous cheap - any of these things is just bad luck, the aircraft are massively overengineered and overmaintained, the staff are second to none and flying is statistically safer than putting on your trousers.

It has been a very sad week so far, one of the victims was a colleague of mine.

You never think that it will happen to anyone you know.

Bugger!! So sorry to hear this mate, thoughts with the family and everyone else affected by this tragedy.
  • Like 1

Certainly makes you think, I will be racking up the air miles this year :surrender: one of my flight choices for Oz is Air Malaysia .. . so who would book a flight with them? any takers?

Sad to say but I booked with Air France to Brazil a few days after the 777 went down, the prices were ridiculous cheap - any of these things is just bad luck, the aircraft are massively overengineered and overmaintained, the staff are second to none and flying is statistically safer than putting on your trousers.

Maybe, but not when determined killers get round security, as 9/11 (for example) demonstrated.

It has been a very sad week so far, one of the victims was a colleague of mine.

You never think that it will happen to anyone you know.

2 close friends of my parents were killed when the Turkish Airlines DC-10 they were flying in crashed into a forest just outside Paris in 1974. The cargo door had ripped off causing the worst air disaster ever seen at that time, 350 or so fatalities. Ironically, they had won £10k on the pools just a few months before. To add to that, one of my work colleagues and his wife were killed in the Manchester air disaster in 1986 when the plane caught fire on the runway.

Pete

Maybe, but not when determined killers get round security, as 9/11 (for example) demonstrated.

Determined killers can get around any security, nothing is impenetrable.

The thing about the statistic though, yes it's safer flying than driving etc - But with driving, I'm in control...Where as a passenger on a plane, there is **** all you can do :/

You're only in control to an extent. If it's already gone wrong, it's possible you're just going to be a passenger anyway.

The thing about the statistic though, yes it's safer flying than driving etc - But with driving, I'm in control...Where as a passenger on a plane, there is **** all you can do :/

You're only in control to an extent. If it's already gone wrong, it's possible you're just going to be a passenger anyway.

I know, I think it's just a personal thing, I feel safe when ( I at least think ) I'm in control.

#teamtarmac

Easyjet will not allow just 1 person on the flight deck any longer

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-32075657

So you're the kind of person who is willing to fly a plane full of people into a mountain, but you wouldn't knock out the stewardess who is in the cockpit with you? :shrug:

Am I too cynical, or does this feel a bit like an opportunity to get some column inches?

Edited by SuperStu
  • Like 1

So you're the kind of person who is willing to fly a plane full of people into a mountain, but you wouldn't knock out the stewardess who is in the cockpit with you? :shrug:

Thats what I was thinking. Quite what use a stewardess will be in a cockpit I dont know, its not as if they are trained to fly the plane, or if they will be able to over power some psycho pilot hell bent on crashing the plane.

What will they do next? Have 3 pilots on all flights so always 2 in the cockpit if one wants to have a wander about.

I reckon they should just stick a bucket in the corner of the cockpit, then that way noone has to leave if they need to use the toilet. :thumbs:

Most flights now have at least one steward onboard, the last dozen flights I've been on have had multiple stewards in fact.

Pete

Most flights now have at least one steward onboard, the last dozen flights I've been on have had multiple stewards in fact.

Pete

I am not saying anything about the Stewards Pete, :dummy::lol:

Thats what I was thinking. Quite what use a stewardess will be in a cockpit I dont know, its not as if they are trained to fly the plane, or if they will be able to over power some psycho pilot hell bent on crashing the plane.

What will they do next? Have 3 pilots on all flights so always 2 in the cockpit if one wants to have a wander about.

I reckon they should just stick a bucket in the corner of the cockpit, then that way noone has to leave if they need to use the toilet. :thumbs:

FYI all El-Al cabin crews are able to fly the type of aircraft they are assigned to.

• Like 1

Pete

Well the same principle still applies, just because he's a chap doesn't mean he's automatically capable of restraining a deranged pilot gone crazy strong, does it? :shrug:

Maybe the pilot is a woman and the stewardess is a man??? Some women are harder than some men.

What if there's another occurrence, but with two people in the cockpit? Do they then have a new three person minimum rule?

But then, what if two of the three are in on it? Better have a 4 person rule!

And so on...

FYI all El-Al cabin crews are able to fly the type of aircraft they are assigned to.

Seriously?! That's ridiculous. I mean, it's a great tagline for the airline, but if I was capable of flying a plane I'd wonder where I'd gone wrong in life to be serving drinks in council class.

Seriously?! That's ridiculous. I mean, it's a great tagline for the airline, but if I was capable of flying a plane I'd wonder where I'd gone wrong in life to be serving drinks in council class.

Unless they pay all their cabin crew the same salary as pilots? Otherwise surely no motivation for someone to serve drinks etc when they could be earning more cash flying the plane.

What if there's another occurrence, but with two people in the cockpit? Do they then have a new three person minimum rule?

But then, what if two of the three are in on it? Better have a 4 person rule!

And so on...

Better to be on the safe and have a remote control override, drone style, back at HQ. With a back up drone pilot to monitor the drove pilot who's monitoring the three pilots in the plane, who is also being monitored, etc.