My Hydrodipped Interior (And other stuff).

14N

SAM_1154_zps7c0b80be.jpg

So...... I've had some interior parts hydrodipped. but while they were off being dipped, I figured I'd also carry out a few other changes. These included:

Fit new head unit

Re-colour the arm rests to match my seats

Change gear knob to a Nismo style one I acquired ages ago from Buster

Wrap the HU facia and gear surround in 5D gloss carbon (I like the contrast to the dipped items).

I didn't want to go for the default carbon hydrodip; although the carbon does look amazing, one of the great things with the hydrographic transfer is the amount of options available in the film. I wanted a silver or grey console and door handles to tie in with the colour of the car and my re-coloured seats.

I started to think of silver flames, skulls and other (even more crazy) ideas, but thought they'd be a bit 'busy' for the interior. I then considered a brushed aluminium or steel look but figured this wasn't busy enough and would look a bit plain unless you looked closely. Still thinking of metals, I thought of this - checker plate!! Bingo!

SAM_1156_zps6cddbadd.jpg

SAM_1157_zpsff9e5b93.jpg

SAM_1158_zpsc63b038e.jpg

SAM_1160_zps94cff5a9.jpg

SAM_11585_zpsb28e8056.jpg

SAM_1163_zps654f8a70.jpg

SAM_1164_zpsa0addcdc.jpg

SAM_1165_zpsd88819b5.jpg

SAM_1170_zpsa6cc6047.jpg

SAM_1171_zps20d8d070.jpg

I asked for the base colour (the colour the items are pained before dipping) to be WV2 - The Nissan Gunmetal colour of my car. I'm really pleased I did.

My new head unit came with a USB cable coming from the rear. So the natural place for this was the cubby. A very slight enlargement to one of the holes at the rear now gives me USB connectivity to the HU. I also wanted to place a satnav in the cubby, rather than having one stuck on the windscreen. I picked a 5 inch one up from eBay for £30 and for the money, it's brilliant.

A couple of pieces of sticky back foam placed in the cubby mean it sits snugly in place and can be charged from the new USB cable behind it.

SAM_1174_zps82e7d7ef.jpg

SAM_1175_zpsf835e4bc.jpg

Overall, I'm really pleased. What d'ya think?

• Like 5

Hmmm I'm going to come back to this after I've decided if I like it or not lol

I like hat it's something different from the normal carbon and I like that you used gunmetal as a base colour, I'm just undecided on the pattern...

I appreciate it wouldn’t be to everyone’s taste Kyle, a lot of mods can be a bit Marmite, especially when trying something different. For some (unknown) reason, I do really like checker plate as a material :wacko: so the fact it also wasn’t carbon and it meant I could use gunmetal as the base colour was a no brainer for me.

Plus as you say, you also like the fact it’s not carbon and you like the colour, so two outta three aint bad, right? Anyway, you own a BMW now, so your opinion doesn’t count :stir::p

• Like 2

I appreciate it wouldn’t be to everyone’s taste Kyle, a lot of mods can be a bit Marmite, especially when trying something different. For some (unknown) reason, I do really like checker plate as a material :wacko: so the fact it also wasn’t carbon and it meant I could use gunmetal as the base colour was a no brainer for me.

Plus as you say, you also like the fact it’s not carbon and you like the colour, so two outta three aint bad, right? Anyway, you own a BMW now, so your opinion doesn’t count :stir::p

:lol:

I think I'm so undecided because apart from carbon, I have no idea what I would have chosen if I were to have dipped my interior. Skulls - no, flames - no, camo - no. I just don't know. Maybe brushed aluminium? Not sure.

Edited by KyleR
  • Like 1

CLICHÉ WARNING - Pictures really don't do it justice. :)

Like the carbon effect hydrographics, (Ricey, back me up here) it seems to be difficult to photograph and pick up the depth of the design. Rather than just looking like it's a clear backed transfer that's been applied over paint, there are light and dark areas which further the appearance of it actually being metal, plus there is also a 'grain' to the graphic to give it that brushed metal appearance. It really is rather clever.

• 1 month later...