What makes you change your car?

Grundy

Curious as to owners who sell there car after either not having it long or finishing the mods.

I.e.

Parello had just wrapped it and then sold it

Will finally got a set of Rays and then sold it

Aaron didn't have his 370z for too long

Is it house related? GF related?

Variety of reasons for me;

Sold my Astra and bought a RX8 because I had finally qualified and could afford one.

Sold the RX8 and bought a 350z because I'd had the RX8 for 4 years and wanted a change to a genuine coupe

Sold the 350z and bought a VXR8 because I wanted more power and at the time it was going to cost £20k to TT my HR Z33.

Sold the VXR8 and bought a house!

There is no one answer Matt. :shrug:

As Ian said for some people it's just the fun of the build so once that's done you might as well sell up & move onto the next project.

Other reasons;

• Want something that is....insert their choice. E.g. faster, more economical, turbo'd/supercharged/V8, more doors, more space, less "boy racer", want convertible, don't want convertible, diesel, electric, etc etc.
  • Wife's having a baby ~ we're getting divorced ~ she/he's making them do it ~ getting a dog.
  • Fancy something different ~ had the car for long time ~ just not the car I thought it was ~ can't drive rwd/fwd/4wd properly?
  • There is something wrong with it that.... I can't afford to fix ~ won't fix ~ don't know how to fix.
  • Always changes car yearly.
  • Someone offers a price they can't refuse.
  • Don't like; the colour, shape, interior, manual gears, automatic box etc
  • Change in circumstances; lost job, got new job, company car, midlife crisis etc

Everyone's got their own reasons for doing it when they decide it's time. ;)

• Like 3

My reasons is that after pulling apart the car numerous times to modify X, Y and Z and discovered various dirty little secrets that had been hidden, ultimately making me fall out of love with it a little.

Brake discs only lasted 7k which meant I'd have to spend another £300 to replace them plus diagnosing and fixing the issue. Bushes all needed done and despite numerous times in the body shop, rust bubbles kept coming back at the back of the rear arches and the clutch was also on it's last legs. This was going to amount to way too much money for me to justify spending on a £6k car that would still be £6k when it was all done.

It was time to move on and use what I have learnt to buy another car and start the process all over again. It was a great 2 1/2 years with the 350 and unfortunately I never got it finished, although most parts were here to be fitted. I do miss it sometimes, especially when I see another on the road, but it was the right thing to do. I may buy another Zed in the future, most likely a 370, only time will tell.

• Like 1

The fun is in the build rather than the ownership :blush:

But would you put your 350 up for sale a week or 2 after the JZ has gone in it?

Quite possibly yeah.

I've already considered touting it around for when its done and have a price in mind for what id want for it :lol:

For me though, pretty much everything centers around "When can I get my arse back in to a R34" :blush:

Well I have been through a few cars in the last few years including buying and selling the Zed, I never really had a single reason to sell more of a mix of:

Done what I wanted to do to it in terms of modding and got a bit bored (probably one of the main reasons with the Z unfortunately)

Wanted to try something different/saw something different at a good price and wanted to go for it

Wanted to tick a box in terms of ownership (very much applies to buying the VX which is head and shoulders above the Zed/R33 in terms of raw driving thrill)

Similar to the above, I do want to experience ownership of lots of different types of cars, learn how to drive different cars, see the pro's and cons etc

Had to raise some funds to pay for something else expensive!

Edited by coldel
  • Like 1

I question myself sometimes but my 350 hit 101k miles

My 350z was finished i didnt want to put any more money into it

It looked good, was a head turner but then

I got a new job with more money and no one really has a modded 370z

So im going after what I wanted to see at shows a modded 370 and 370 is to keep.

Ive been planning what to do with it modding wise for months lol

The 370z will be wrapped soon ;)

I've tended to change cars around every 5 years or so. It's normally due to a number of reasons. I fancy something different, become aware of another vehicle that I'd not considered before. Perhaps an opportunity to own something which has suddenly come in to my 'price bracket'.

The most compelling reason however is normally when I start getting to the following point. When I look at my current car and think I should do X or I could do Y. Then I think "...but that's £X that could be going on a new set of wheels..."

That us normally the point when I know I've got to that 'new car' point. I have been keeping my eyes open for the last year, weighing things up. I have a number in mind already, it just depends on timing, the right vehicle, have I got other priorities for the money etc.

I'm currently considering Nissan, Porsche, Jaguar and Ferrari.........I will be keeping my trusty Chilli Red 350Z though :)

Edited by Bockaaarck

I have always enjoyed modifying things, motorbikes, jetskis, cars etc often when finished i think, wish i had done x rather than y, so rather than rip it apart from mint condition, its the best time to sell. I had a 10 year long stint of Rx7's, after i had finished one i always thought, would like to do "x" to one so sold the one i had and started again.

The reason for moving away from Rx7's was just simply because my requirements from a car had changed, i wanted something i could simply get in and drive, surprisingly difficult with Rx7's believe it or not if your tuning them. I made a vow to myself that the next car i bought, although i knew i would be modifying it, was not going to have anything done to it which kept it off the road for more than a day or two. So far the longest my 350z has been off the road was a month but that was issues out of my control, ill fitting replica bumper and waiting for wheels to be built up, but everything else has been no longer than a day.

In my Rx7 love affair i had a mx5 bbr turbo, the very week i finished doing the things i planned i sold it as realised it wasnt the car for me and not one that would replace a Rx7. Fortunately the 350 has and i will only change when i can justify the extra outlay :)