What makes you change your car?

Grundy

giphy.gif

This is how I'm going to floss some mad loot at the salesman in the dealership when I get my new wheels.

When they ask what I want I'm going to say "Word up Mr Halfords, I want the red one fool, the one with the siren......"

bike5.jpg

Or at least that's how I imagine it might 'go down' in my slightly unrealistic imagination :):lol:

• Like 2

I'm currently considering Nissan, Porsche, Jaguar and Ferrari.........I will be keeping my trusty Chilli Red 350Z though :)

Note, beetle ? :teeth:

fixed that

You cheeky bleeder! :lol:

I couldn't think what to put for the cat and the horse ;)

• Like 1

Wow Tim, five children! You are a brave man. I stopped at one and have never regretted it because she's a "good one", ha ha :lol:

I normally get bored and fancy a change and/or I have had the car for two or three years. Mr Zed was different. I would never have grown bored of him but I simply had nowhere to park him in Weybridge and couldn't leave him at home off the road for years on end. Still sad that someone else is enjoying him now. I wonder if they are on the board?v :dry:

I changed simply down to cost. I couldnt justify forking out the £1250 a month running costs my zed was costing me when basically I was just using it as a daily commuting car. When it came to the weekend, I really didnt get any spare time to enjoy it as I wanted to.

It pained me a bit as id just spent £700 on a set of tyres, £300 on new brake pads, had just given it a service and it was an absolutely mint HR Roadster.

I did toy with trying to keep it as just a weekend car and for 6 months was lucky enough to be able to run my wifes old car along side the zed, but ultimately I sold them both and moved onto 1 car which could kill both birds with one stone. Performance plus economy.

However, with some of my other toys, ones which ive spent a lot more time & money modifying - like my Renault 5 GT turbo, my R1 & my Ducati 996, even my old ZXR750L2, I cant ever imagine I will sell them. I find once I have spent so much time, money, care & love on something, you form that "special" relationship with it and for me to sell them would be like selling the things I love most in the world.

I can imagine though that if you had spent ages modding a car and no matter what you did it just didnt connect with you or feel how you wanted, then you`d just off load it and buy something else.

Must Go Faster

Must Go Faster

Must Go Faster

Must Go Faster

Must Go Faster

That is all :lol:

But at least you got a few years out of 'The Bitch' before you sold her,

That's my point, if I had done something like yours, or did a V8 conversion etc, I'd at least want a year out of it, going to shows etc. I couldn't just sell once my project is complete :(

You'd have another seller getting all the attention for the work YOU did.

• Like 1

Both my civics and my is200 i got to a happy stance and look with them but being a bored teenage i would build it sell it and move on

BIGGEST MISTAKE EVER

building the car and not enjoying it or showing it etc

P1010761.jpg

i owned this civic 3 months

i went some a stock car to coilovers full exhaust new wheels sound system recaro bucket seats and a few other little bits then my missus cheated so for some reason i linked that to the car :wacko: and within 24 hours had it stripped down and sold

P1011549-1.jpg

P1011546.jpg

Only pic i have but i went threw a set of volk gt-p, Advan AVS 5 and Works vs-kf in the space of 6 months over winter so never got to show it off

IMAG0411.jpg

Edited by StevoD
  • Like 3

I have never been attached to cars or such like, its only metal and there was nothing really unique or rare about them, i could always do it again if i wanted. I have always been looking forward to the next purchase too.

The only mistake i made was having a full respray on a car and then realising a problem i thought i had solved with an engine hadnt been, like a week later from the bodyshop. It wasnt cost effective to mend it as was worth as much in parts, so broke it down, but couldnt get rid of the shell. A local scrappy picked it up, literally, chains through the windows and then a hiab arm down onto the roof so it didnt move on the flatbed, that smarted a bit ;)

• Like 2

I had a Clio 182 for 3 years, ragged it everywhere.....but thats the thing with the rs clios.....you have to to get anywhere ;) I wanted somthing Rwd, more torque ect. So got the 350. Just about circumstances, and what you want out of your car i suppose.

I think im the same as keyser - had six road cars now, and all but one has been faster and more powerful than the one that preceded it. the normal reason for change is the realisation that I can now afford a certain car - either purchase price or insurance.

I remember when I first looked at a 300ZX twin turbo, and I was like 'HOW MUCH!?!' to buy it (£3000) and 'HOW MUCH!?!?!' to insure it (~£550) once I had that information, keeping my MX5 suddenly lost its appeal! :lol:

Next car will most definitely be more powerful than the zed was, have seen a few options (all starting with BMW) just need to save up a bit more and decide exactly which 300bhp+ coupe to get!

Edited by brillomaster

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for a new, faster, better car etc.

It was more aimed at people who put a lot of effort into there car, turning into a stunning show machine, but then once it's completed, they sell up.

I guess they just enjoy building and giving the glory to someone else :shrug:

• Like 1

It'd be impossible to keep a 350/370 in Ireland forever so I will have to sell at some stage. I've been through 3 tax discs so far which equates to 5427 Euro! It's a killer, if the tax was under 800 Euro I would keep my current 350Z forever.

• Like 1

It'd be impossible to keep a 350/370 in Ireland forever so I will have to sell at some stage. I've been through 3 tax discs so far which equates to 5427 Euro! It's a killer, if the tax was under 800 Euro I would keep my current 350Z forever.

That's steep delz...WOW.. :scare:

Can't you buy one and register it in NI and just cross The border what one. Every 3 month

You need a permanent NI address to do that. The police can just take the car off you otherwise.

The post 2008 tax system is CO2 based and the 370Z is in the highest bracket - 2350 Euro a year. I've never seen a 370Z in person so I imagine there are none here due to the tax.

This makes VAG turbo petrol cars a bargain, the Golf R is only 570 Euro tax a year. I think that might be the direction I'll be looking in for my next car.