Oh bless me father for I have sinned....

The Seasider

I have received a summons for doing 35 in a 30 - going up hill, out of the village, 20 yards before the national speed limit sign.

The PC in question was later seen shooting fish in a barrel.

What do you think would be a suitable punishment?

The offer of a speed awareness course doesn't really strike me as an adequate punishment for this heinous crime.

My sympathies, having been convicted of a similar heinous crime, I think we should be hung drawn and quarterd......

Seriously I am of the opinion that if the revenue generated form these terrible crimes should be used to create a real police force and justice system. instead of the face we have at the moment.

• Like 1

hmmm, I feel appropriate punishment would be for all the local small children, and all the local kittens, to line up and take turns kicking you in the plumbs and clawing at your face. You're a truly horrible, despicable, horrible, vile, nasty horrible human being for doing 35mph 20yards before it is acceptable to do 60mph.

;)

just do the SA course - I did one recently and actually quite enjoyed it.

Got my speed awareness course offer today.

It's a close run thing between taking 3 points and giving up a morning to listen to someone lecture me on the perils of marginal transgression.

Who am I kidding - I'm going to take the SA course and save my points for a really good offence!

Who am I kidding - I'm going to take the SA course and save my points for a really good offence!

That a great attitude when I had my back broken in two places by a speeder ( on his phone I might add). Nice one very responsible.

ha i do this... best is coming out of a motorway average speed camera section, and back up to glorious national speed limit!

or better still, pulling away from any motorway tollbooth - standing start drag race against whoever pulls up next to you!

That reminds me of whenever I come back home towards Wales over the new/Severn bridge.

It's like the start of "Whacky races" when that toll booth barrier goes up. :lol: 15 odd lanes merging into three oh what fun. :drive1

• Like 2

That a great attitude when I had my back broken in two places by a speeder ( on his phone I might add). Nice one very responsible.

You have my sympathy...however I bet it wasn't due to some poor sod who did 33 in a 30 limit,

there is a distinction between revenue generation and real speeding.

• Like 1

Whilst I can appreciate where you're coming from on this, to me that sounds exactly like a comment from BRAKE. It was far more likely that the fact the guy was on his phone was the problem, not the actual speeding.

I'm guessing of course, as he may have been doing 100mph in a 30mph whilst just moving his phone to a holder, do you know exactly what happened? What did the guy get (I assume he was prosecuted)?

Nobody is a perfect driver . Everybody has broken some kind of driving law at some point in their driving experience, whether it was intentional or done unwittingly. Nobody can afford to be sanctimonious on this forum.

+1 and amen. You took it exactly out of my mouth.

• Like 1

Crikey, don't get me going on speeders and people on phones!

Our estate has a feeder road with shops, chippy and school - kids everywhere. It's a 30 limit but in my opinion 20 max is safe but so many drivers do 30 AND while on their phones. I don't get it, they are either 1 minute from leaving or getting to home so why on the goddam phone.

And never a copper in sight, they are too busy trying to catch 'the seasider'.

Nobody is a perfect driver . Everybody has broken some kind of driving law at some point in their driving experience, whether it was intentional or done unwittingly. Nobody can afford to be sanctimonious on this forum.

There's being sanctimonious, and then there's simply telling people when they're being silly.

For example, I have very little problem with people driving at a fair lick on a well-sighted B-road in good conditions. However, doing 85 on the motorway or exceeding a 30 at any point seems utterly daft as that's exactly where you're most likely to be caught. If you do so, and then get the letter through the post, as long as you're not moaning about it (and in fairness, I don't feel the OP actually is) then you'll have no issue with me.

The more people that speed in places where it's bloody obvious that there's a chance of being caught (main routes, 30/40/50 limits, anywhere it would be very easy to park a camera van), the more likely they are to keep adding cameras. The country won't always be skint, and at some point they'll start funding these again with a vengeance as it's easy money. If everyone stopped speeding in silly places, then overnight this would become a huge loss maker for the authorities and they would stop funding them. Simple as that.

Every time someone gets caught, they make it worse for the rest of us.

• Like 1

Speeders get blamed for accidents and being dangerous but it's usually lack of concentration, drinking and tiredness that causes most of them, not the speed they are doing, that's usually coincidental.

There should be some sort of camera for people who talk on their phones, cameras for idiots who brake for no reason like when approaching a empty island to check what they should already know when approaching, it's clear. Speeding fines for people who go too slow, 30-35 in a 40 for example on clear dry day. It's these drivers causing 90% of the congestion and the majority of accidents, not people doing 5-10 miles over the limit whilst concentrating on the road.

• Like 6

Nobody is a perfect driver . Everybody has broken some kind of driving law at some point in their driving experience, whether it was intentional or done unwittingly.

Got to agree with this.

I also think that when you get done, you`ve got to hold your hands up and take it on the chin and not moan and complain about it and blame it on the Police (as most seem to want to) or the circumstances or whatever else - anything except yourself !

Edited by Wayne370Z
  • Like 1

what gets me most (and was taught on speed awareness course) is how fast you're still going when a car travelling at 30mph would have stopped...

say a car is travelling at 30mph, starts braking at point A and comes to a complete stop at point B.

now, say that the same car is travelling at 35mph, and starts braking at point A. how fast will it still be going when it passes point B? 5mph? wrong, that car would still be travelling at 18mph when it passes point B.

same again, this time the car is travelling at 40mph when it starts braking at point A, so how fast is it still going when it passes point B, (the point at which a car travelling at 30mph would have stopped)? 26mph.

that means that if little johnny scooter pops out in front of a car doing 30mph, and it stops just in time, the same car travelling just 10mph faster, would hit him at a speed of 26mph. :scare:

similarly, two cars on a motorway, car A travelling 70mph, car B travelling at 100mph. if both start braking at the same time, how fast is car B travelling when car A has come to a complete stop? 30mph? 40mph maybe?

Wrong - car B would still be going at 71mph when car A had come to a complete stop. :scare: :scare: :scare:

Knowing these facts, suddenly speeding round towns and doing silly speeds on motorways seems a bit silly - I don't want to hit Johnny scooter at all if I can help it, which is why when i'm driving past a row of parked cars in a residential area, I do about 20mph.

Incidentally I was caught doing 85 on an empty motorway in the middle of the night, by an overhead gantry camera.

• Like 3

what gets me most (and was taught on speed awareness course) is how fast you're still going when a car travelling at 30mph would have stopped...

say a car is travelling at 30mph, starts braking at point A and comes to a complete stop at point B.

now, say that the same car is travelling at 35mph, and starts braking at point A. how fast will it still be going when it passes point B? 5mph? wrong, that car would still be travelling at 18mph when it passes point B.

same again, this time the car is travelling at 40mph when it starts braking at point A, so how fast is it still going when it passes point B, (the point at which a car travelling at 30mph would have stopped)? 26mph.

that means that if little johnny scooter pops out in front of a car doing 30mph, and it stops just in time, the same car travelling just 10mph faster, would hit him at a speed of 26mph. :scare:

similarly, two cars on a motorway, car A travelling 70mph, car B travelling at 100mph. if both start braking at the same time, how fast is car B travelling when car A has come to a complete stop? 30mph? 40mph maybe?

Wrong - car B would still be going at 71mph when car A had come to a complete stop. :scare: :scare: :scare:

Knowing these facts, suddenly speeding round towns and doing silly speeds on motorways seems a bit silly - I don't want to hit Johnny scooter at all if I can help it, which is why when i'm driving past a row of parked cars in a residential area, I do about 20mph.

Incidentally I was caught doing 85 on an empty motorway in the middle of the night, by an overhead gantry camera.

Kind of pointless unless you how far point A and B are!