Oh bless me father for I have sinned....

The Seasider

the distance between point A and point B will differ with different cars and different weather conditions. In a formula 1 car point A to point B will be a lot less than a road car, but the fact still remains - when a formula 1 car originally doing 70mph would have stopped, a formula 1 car originally going 100mph, would still be travelling at 71mph.

what gets me most (and was taught on speed awareness course) is how fast you're still going when a car travelling at 30mph would have stopped...

say a car is travelling at 30mph, starts braking at point A and comes to a complete stop at point B.

now, say that the same car is travelling at 35mph, and starts braking at point A. how fast will it still be going when it passes point B? 5mph? wrong, that car would still be travelling at 18mph when it passes point B.

same again, this time the car is travelling at 40mph when it starts braking at point A, so how fast is it still going when it passes point B, (the point at which a car travelling at 30mph would have stopped)? 26mph.

that means that if little johnny scooter pops out in front of a car doing 30mph, and it stops just in time, the same car travelling just 10mph faster, would hit him at a speed of 26mph. :scare:

similarly, two cars on a motorway, car A travelling 70mph, car B travelling at 100mph. if both start braking at the same time, how fast is car B travelling when car A has come to a complete stop? 30mph? 40mph maybe?

Wrong - car B would still be going at 71mph when car A had come to a complete stop. :scare: :scare: :scare:

Knowing these facts, suddenly speeding round towns and doing silly speeds on motorways seems a bit silly - I don't want to hit Johnny scooter at all if I can help it, which is why when i'm driving past a row of parked cars in a residential area, I do about 20mph.

Incidentally I was caught doing 85 on an empty motorway in the middle of the night, by an overhead gantry camera.

Not being the Devils advocate but these figures all dated and donot apply as modern cars have moved on a lot.

The statistics are clear speeding is coincidental in some accidents. The majority is the usual distraction with phones etc, drink driving, bad driving practices etc.

I think in restricted areas it is imperative to respect the speed limit and even go under but on motorways, sighted A/B roads it should be variable and have derestriction when conditions permit. That's what happens in Germany and many other European countries and they have better stats than us. The other facet would be to improve driver training as in keeping with Germany and Scandinavian countries as this will make the biggest impact.

Just think for a second that a newly qualified driver will never have driven on the motorway or at a reasonable rate of speed or experienced oversteer or understeer due to adverse weather conditions. What do you think will happen when the @*!# hits the fan?

This doesn't only apply to new drivers as there is as the majority are unsafe and clueless.

I don't want to even get on the issue of the 70mph speed limit that was set following no scientific basis but the economics of fuel shortage. It just appears to me that instead of moving forwards we are regressing and breeding a generation of spineless twunts that are unable to think for themselves and devoid of common sense and initiative and they have to be guided like robots in everything that they do so much so that anything from the norm as they know it is heinous and abominable.

I don't condone reckless driving and that's where I stand. Everything else is merely perspective.

2p

Speeding fines for people who go too slow, 30-35 in a 40 for example on clear dry day. It's these drivers causing 90% of the congestion and the majority of accidents, not people doing 5-10 miles over the limit whilst concentrating on the road.

I agree with everything including the minimum speed fines, but what exactly is 'slow'? Going at 45 on a 70 mph road is slow. Indeed in countries like the UAE there are minimum speed thresholds on busy motorways (50% of the max limit), but 30-35 in a 40 is not slow and there's no reason to punish people for that. The speed limit doesn't mean you have to drive at it. I would rather drive at 35 than 40, because it's far more dangerous to get distracted watching the speedo trying to ensure you don't go above 40. Why, because I follow the speed limits all the time and not just when I know there are no cameras or cops around. Not saying you do not, but a great many people on the road don't seem to care the least about speed limits. Those who want to go faster can always safely overtake at the earliest opportunity. We have to be mindful that we share the roads with drivers of varying ages, experience levels, alertness levels, tiredness etc, not everyone will be able to safely drive at the limit even if they wanted to. Of course no excuse for those texting or fiddling around.

That a great attitude when I had my back broken in two places by a speeder ( on his phone I might add). Nice one very responsible.

Whilst I can appreciate where you're coming from on this, to me that sounds exactly like a comment from BRAKE. It was far more likely that the fact the guy was on his phone was the problem, not the actual speeding.

I'm guessing of course, as he may have been doing 100mph in a 30mph whilst just moving his phone to a holder, do you know exactly what happened? What did the guy get (I assume he was prosecuted)?

The guy who hit me was doing around 35mph I was told by the police who investigated, he didn't brake at all before impact and I was sitting stationary on my motorbike in traffic. I guess he didn't brake because he was looking at his phone.

He was prosecuted and got £260 fine and 6 points if I remember correctly. I realise I'm over sensitive about speeders and phones whilst driving but that day and his actions have changed my life forever . The point I'm trying to make I suppose is that even driving slightly over the speed limit can cause huge devastation to others.

• Like 3

30-35 in a 40 is not slow and there's no reason to punish people for that.

I disagree with that point. I often see or get stuck behind someone doing 30 in a 40 zone in good, clear driving conditions with a line of cars up it's arse. They are either oblivious to the que behind them or just don't care. People start to overtake them after a while and this is where the person doing below the speed limit in good driving conditions becomes a potentially deadly hazard (regardless of their intention).

Driving in general carries a inherent risk of injury due to the fact we are made of flesh and bones, and dart around in metal boxes. Speed limits are essential for both safety and the everyday reality that everyone needs to get somewhere in a hurry, even if you don't. The law should work both ways to not only punish speeders but also the people not competent enough to drive near the speed limit and with excessive hesitation.

All the congestion caused by idiots doing stuff like just going above 30 in a 40 in good driving conditions, braking at islands when it's clear and not pulling off when the lights change effect everyone one of us, drivers or not. Just imagine how much nicer it would be without so much congestion, this could happen if the law used the same foot to boot incompetent drivers up the arse as speeders, everyone and even the economy would benefit.

• Like 2

Zeus, I'm sorry to hear about your accident and I too hate people using their mobiles whilst driving. I don't even use my hands-free if I am driving because I know I can't give my full attention to the road if I am chatting on the phone at the same time.

• Like 1

If conditions are good, then there is no reason not to drive at the limit. To not do so is discourteous driving IMHO.

@Zeus: Sounds like speed had very little to do with the accident, if he didn't even brake. Again though, it's going to go down as a speed-related accident and just add to the stats, which is a shame. Glad you're okay though now, that must've been horrendous.

• Like 2

If conditions are good, then there is no reason not to drive at the limit. To not do so is discourteous driving IMHO.

@Zeus: Sounds like speed had very little to do with the accident, if he didn't even brake. Again though, it's going to go down as a speed-related accident and just add to the stats, which is a shame. Glad you're okay though now, that must've been horrendous.

Totally agree about driving at the speed limit if conditions allow and not well below it. Imo the worst kind of driver is the one that does 40mph in a national limit then they continue to do 40mph when it turns to a 30 zone. I see it all the time when driving in rural areas.

Dan it was a horrendous as you say, there is no worse feeling than lying waiting to go in for a scan and you can't feel your legs! But time and an op / physio got me back on track eventually and I'm a lot better off than some who have gone through similar .

Best thing is the guy who hit me tried to blame it all on me until the police pointed out it was all caught on the towns cctv. Also a couple of years later I found out that he fell asleep at the wheel on the motorway and collided with another car just a week before he hit me. Always did wonder why he was driving his wife's car when he hit me !

Anyway good came out of it as I now have a great work/life balance and it's time that's valuable not money. You never know when it could all be over! :)

c470dae8146a3f140d656d6cd4af17a5.jpg

Edited by ZEUS
  • Like 1

christ !!!!

I know you gave the legal prosecution results for this but did you then take it for a private prosecution ?

Do you mean as in going for compensation? I had a solicitor on it before I even left hospital, in the end I chose to settle early as I wanted and needed to get on with my life. It paid off the small mortgage I had and bought me my boat so I was happy. I could of dragged it out for many years and got a lot more but I chose not to.

Imo the worst kind of driver is the one that does 40mph in a national limit then they continue to do 40mph when it turns to a 30 zone. I see it all the time when driving in rural areas.

How did I forget the 'I drive at my comfortable pace no matter what the speed limit says' drivers! It's usually the same person who was just doing 35 in a 40 now it switches to 30 and they carry on at 35 oblivious to the speed limit, probably chatting to the passenger or on the mobile.

Even when you overtake safely because someone is not doing the limit, sometimes they flash you like you're doing something dangerous probably because they get a bit shocked by an exhaust sound and never check their mirrors.

I know it sounds like I'm venting (I am :lol: ), it's the accumulation of these idiots that have made driving less and less pleasurable over my 16 years on the roads. I just think that if it is really about making the roads a safer place, the same boot that went up The Seasiders butt for doing 35 in a 30, 20 yards before the national speed limit sign, should be dealt to someone doing 33 in 40 with no good reason whilst holding up 10 other cars or someone who can't drive over a Island without stopping first, making 6 other cars brake for no reason. The roads would be safer and congestion would improve.

:rant: Rant over now. In everyday life, I just accept it like I accept the weather :lol: